Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Hockey's Beard

Did anyone watch the fight last night?

I have enjoyed many of the Group games in the World Cup, but after that the games became too important, and we have been treated to blatant cheating and increasingly violent games.

I was shouting for Columbia until I saw the assault on Neymar. Now I just want it all to be over. FIFA are destroying football with their insatiable lust for money.

I would like to see UEFA break away and the European teams tell FIFA where to shove it. How long will we tolerate the stench of their foetid corruption?

Slightly OTT, I fear THB.What ''cheating and violence'' was there in the France v Germany game ?  Far less than there was in the same fixture 20 yrs ago, where Toni Schumacher mugged Patrick Battiston.There''s been a bit of amateur dramatics from the usual suspects like Muller, Robben and co, but in the main, I''d say it''s been relatively absent from this WC.

The Ref should have booked a couple in the first half last night, that would have cut down on the second half assaulting of Rodriguez and Neymar.  Weak refereeing for sure, but not sure that correlates to FIFA "destroying football".

Bit OTT to be honest.

Thought it was an exciting, rambunctious game played at full speed, and then some. Yes the assault on Neymar was bloody awful, but the Colombians were also at the receiving end.

Admittedly the ref and linesmen shouldn''t get another game after their poor showing but I don''t see what you are accusing FIFA of?!

Fair comments, and I was on the road for the Germany/France game.

My point, if I have any, is that the World Cup sets the tone for the next four years.

Robben is such a talented player, who still feels the need to throw himself down at the slightest touch. How can we teach youngsters not to do that when they have such an example.

I feel that last night''s game was somehow too important to both teams, and I just found the violence depressing.

Niggling foul strewn game that followed on from a boring encounter between France and Germany.Ref blew for 54 fouls in the Brazil/Colombia game and let around another 50 slide byHow good the game would have been if they had given the talented players some protection, we will never know.Would have loved to have watched Meymar and James play but they were kicked in the air every time the ball came to them.Last 16 and quarter final games have been very very disappointing so far.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Niggling foul strewn game that followed on from a boring encounter between France and Germany.Ref blew for 54 fouls in the Brazil/Colombia game and let around another 50 slide byHow good the game would have been if they had given the talented players some protection, we will never know.Would have loved to have watched Meymar and James play but they were kicked in the air every time the ball came to them.Last 16 and quarter final games have been very very disappointing so far.

[/quote]Yeah, that USA / Belgium game was as dull as dishwater...... [:|]

Your nom de plume does suggest that you remember fondly a player who if he couldn''t get the man would get the ball.

I wouldn''t necessarily call modern football violent, rather I find it cynical. And last night was just another episode of it. Many want to rid the game of violent tackles and that is fair enough.

But to allow them to be substituted by these silly little trips and shirt pulls is making the game intolerable at times.

Webb was criticised for his handling of the last final but I assume he had his instructions to try and keep 22 on the pitch and De Jong stayed on the pitch.

And last night''s referee seemed intent on ignoring so much early on that he was in too deep to alter it later on.

People always said the game would be better with professional refs but I disagree. They are on good money and don''t want to lose that income by being controversial.

And of course most of the pundits are from the modern era and don''t see anything wrong with cynicism whether from shirt pulling or diving.

Jack Taylor awarded a penalty in the first minute of the 1974 WC before a German had touched the ball.

Now, we would be told it was too early or some excuse that prevented a foul being punished.

[quote user="Molly Windley"] boring encounter between France and Germany.

[/quote]I wouldn''t disagree that the France Germany game was not exactly full of thrills and spills, MW, but the OP was grumbling about cheating and violence, and there was none (or very little).There have been some very interesting games in the knockout stages, but you are simply not going to get thrill a minute stuff in these sort of encounters. We tend to forget that all the players, including the South American ones have been schooled in the cynical pool that is top European league football, and  involving some of the top defensive coaches in the world. To put a NCFC spin on this, that was the problem with us last season. Hughton liked to think that he was well versed in the sort of defensive tactics/strategy that is found in top European football these days and tried to foist it onto Norwich City. Unfortunately for him, he wasn''t terribly good at it and over his tenure here, he was well and truly found out.

brazil can have no complaints they were quite happy to dish it out to james rodriguez because they didn''t have the ability to outplay columbia.then neymar there only decent player gets taken out because of the tone brazil set for the game and now theywill get destroyed by germany cos without neymar and silva they are hopeless [:D]

never realised just how much of a petulant little sh*t Messi actually is! should have been sent off Against Switzerland for 2 fouls (including pulling Inler over in the centre circle) and should have been booked against Belgium for a wild boot on De Bruyn

have refs been told he is "unbookable"?

Fernandinho was the worse culprit in the Brazil Vs Columbia game. No two ways about it. The challenge on Neymar was a foul but I didn''t think it was that bad, it''s a very unlucky injury.That said, overall, I thought the Brazilians were the more physically aggressive team and so there is a certain irony that they complain about the injury to Neymar when they could have easily seen players sent off. Wouldn''t have said a thing if they had hurt one of  the Columbian players now would they?

The foul on Neymar wasn''t that bad, calling it an assault is way OTT. You could t ell he was hurt as he didn''t roll over 10 times screaming.

The referee was weak and should have booked Fernandinho about 4 times, James was kicked every time he touched the ball. That''s what FIFA need to snap down on crap referees.

assault is strong word

clumsy tackle with no malice in it would be the better way to but it

and after the way the Columbians had been kicked into submission by brazil gods way of putting things right