Sign in to follow this  
Carrow Road

"Yes, i have been given number 20 , guess it's just a number"

Talk about kicking a man when he''s down, taking his number 9 away and giving it to Kyle Lafferty.

I think this means he is out.

As Norwich fans we shouldn''t be too concerned about RVW leaving, but should be greatly concerned that Lafferty has come in as a number 9 and not a number over 11.

I was hoping that Lafferty was going to be a squad member, coming off the bench etc.

Seems he will be leading our line next season despite never having scored more than 11 goals in a season.

This is a huge step backwards. Tinpot.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The pressure has been removed.   He can rebuild his confidence as a squad member without being seen as the main man.   He had a difficult last season - but he wasn''t the only one.   New manager, new ideas, fresh start for everyone.    If he stays he will get his chance - probably from the subs bench - and the rest is up to him.   If he stays and we do ok without him and he is not getting game time he will almost certainly go out on loan.  No problem at all,  just the ups and downs of professional football.     I like his attitude - and I will like it even more if he stays and fights for his place - and if he scores 20 goals plus next season for us he will become a superhero for sticking it out and coming through it a winner.

[/quote]It''s a funny old game, this football. Things have a habit of changing very rapidly. Not sure pressure has much to do with it.It may well be that RvW stays, then either because he does well in training/pre-season friendlies, or comes on as sub and bags a couple, or is given as starting place due to Grabban etc getting injured, he suddenly finds form and starts scoring regularly. People have already referred to what happened with Iwan.I''m not convinced that NA sees him as a big part of his plans right now, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that with just a slight change in fortune, RvW could make himself virtually undroppable.

I met Ricky at Norwich airport on Fri afternoon. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy who seemed interested in why we were travelling to Amsterdam etc.

He was returning home to see his family for a couple of days before coming back for pre season.

We talked about next season and he said that both he and Fer had no intention of leaving, which I guess he would say.

But when I mentioned I thought we now had a manager who would get the best out of him, he kind of just shrugged his shoulders.

From our chat, I think he''d like to stay and rebuild his career but I''m not sure that Adams has the same idea.

Like all City fans I really want him to succeed but I have serious doubts that it will happen. After last years abject performances can he truly complain that he has drifted down the pecking order? I don''t think so.

If the drop in standard allows Ricky to regain his confidence and the goals start to flow then I hardly think having a number 20 on his back will make any difference at all.

[quote user="Davness"]I have a theory...

This has McNally written over it. He''s clearly showing his faith in Ricky. I imagine his train of thought went something like this...

Ricky in the Championship ey? He''ll score shitloads, and suddenly everybody will want his name and number on his back again. Best give him another digit, make up for the loss in revenue from being relegated!

McNally knows![/quote]

^^^^this!!^^^^^

Lafferty

Ain''t a cheap one either. All about business and gambling on the new boy being a hero from the get go

The part-problem is we do not really know exactly how Adams views the future of some of these players. Apart from a short say about Hooper he has commented but little.

Of course the outcomes are not entirely in his hands but he could go a long way  further in indicating his intentions.

He was immediate in his ostracisation of certain players in his brief spell at the ending of last season and it didn''t really work. We were left to deduce the various reasons why certain players were suddenly removed from the front-line and without any explanation a few conspiracy theories arose.

Now it''s the same with the Winkle''s number twenty shirt. 

Was this change for change sake, just making a point or do I detect a hint of Roederism in his approach to players? I hope not as he has never appeared to possess the arrogance of that individual, the opposite in fact. However, power corrupts.

Neither is it just us supporters who remain in the dark during this period of impending metamorphosis for the Club as it also seems that some of the players are unaware of what exactly is unfolding before their eyes.

Or is everybody sworn to secrecy?

I just hope Adams hasn''t built a rod for his own back on this one, i think he wanted to come in end of season and publicly make a statement on the players he thought were ''up for it''.

I get the impression he walked in to the dressing room containing a near-depressed RvW and made a decision on his attitude on that basis.

The bridge was burnt somewhat in the last game where he snubbed him, all to prove a point i hate to say. Now the dust has settled RvW has shown he wants to fight for the cause, has had a break, no doubt buoyed on watching his country (and fer) over the summer.

However, Adams, with his statements (Through actions) in the final game(s) really has firmly put a rod in there. I say that as he''s probably gone to the board end of season and labelled RvW as a player to sell, that his attitude isn''t right etc. And how he only wants players who are hungry and want to play etc.

He''s now going to look a wally to u-turn on that so early in his management career, and in a matter of weeks to the board.

For me, the resolution of situations like this is the making/breaking of a manager. I just hope he wakes up and appreciates RvW as a huge (Potentially our biggest) asset and that anything that was said or thought last season is erased and that he looks at the squad individually as ALL new signings, giving them equal chances.

Because let''s be honest, if we signed Ricky this pre-season he would have the number 9 shirt 100%, and that''s what i find a bit ludicrous.

Some players are very precious about their shirt number, I remember a few years ago that one of the Milan clubs bought a new striker who wanted the number 9 shirt but he was told the current no. 9 wouldn''t give it up, his solution was to chose the number 45 shirt and get the kit man to add a "+" between the 4 & the 5.

I wonder if Ricky thinks 1 is "just a number" too.. because that''s the number we judge him on.

Strikers make their own confidence, their own luck and their own chances.. if they cannot do one of the 3 and adapt their game accordingly then questions need to be asked.

As I asked on here last season.. If We had signed RVW on a free would there still be the clamour to keep him?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Some players are very precious about their shirt number, I remember a few years ago that one of the Milan clubs bought a new striker who wanted the number 9 shirt but he was told the current no. 9 wouldn''t give it up, his solution was to chose the number 45 shirt and get the kit man to add a "+" between the 4 & the 5.

[/quote]

Ivan Zamarano did the same, only with 18, when at Inter Milan and Ronaldo had the number 9 shirt. Maybe RvW will put a ''.'' between the 2 and 0 to show he is Ricky van Wolfswinkel verson 2.0 - new and improved.

I hope he starts in place of them 2 championship/league 1 forwards we have signed.

If not then we know of the ambition the club have.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Maybe RvW will put a ''.'' between the 2 and 0 to show he is Ricky van Wolfswinkel verson 2.0 - new and improved.[/quote]

love it

Maybe the club could just issue squad numbers in alphabetical order - then nobody could get upset....

or we go back to positional numbers - hey Russ you are playing CB today you get No.5, or hey Russ you are playing RB today you get No.3... that has the added advantage of letting old farts like me know who''s supposed to be playing where.... :-)

[quote user="Surfer"]Maybe the club could just issue squad numbers in alphabetical order - then nobody could get upset.... or we go back to positional numbers - hey Russ you are playing CB today you get No.5, or hey Russ you are playing RB today you get No.3... that has the added advantage of letting old farts like me know who''s supposed to be playing where.... :-)[/quote]

Doesn''t RB get No.2?

So much guesswork and reading between the lines going on here! I''ll add my own..

Let''s look at the possibilities:

1. Adams has taken away the 9 shirt and given him 20 to belittle him, or because he intends to sell him: This is possible. But why give him 20 - why not 30, 31, 32 etc?

2. Adams has decided after all the bad press and pressure on the kid after his solitary goal last season, it''s a bit silly him having the no.9 shirt again this season, so we''ll give him the NEXT lowest number that has become available (due to Nash leaving) - so he''s definitely in the 1st team squad, but the pressure is off him as the record-signing, dutch international no.9.

I tend to think it''s this second possibility - because 20 IS the next lowest number free, and if he was really being harsh, he''d give him no.31 down there with Bassong - who I think is obviously being given the cold shoulder.

Olsson''s no.23 also worries me. Surely if you would give him the no.3 shirt all day long.. unless you think he;s almost certainly going?

Why do we submit squad numbers so early anyway? I thought it wasn''t a requirement until a few weeks into the season when it has to be finalised.

Is it to sell shirts with numbers on the back as early as possible?

[quote user="MancCanary"]So much guesswork and reading between the lines going on here! I''ll add my own.. Let''s look at the possibilities: 1. Adams has taken away the 9 shirt and given him 20 to belittle him, or because he intends to sell him: This is possible. But why give him 20 - why not 30, 31, 32 etc? 2. Adams has decided after all the bad press and pressure on the kid after his solitary goal last season, it''s a bit silly him having the no.9 shirt again this season, so we''ll give him the NEXT lowest number that has become available (due to Nash leaving) - so he''s definitely in the 1st team squad, but the pressure is off him as the record-signing, dutch international no.9. I tend to think it''s this second possibility - because 20 IS the next lowest number free, and if he was really being harsh, he''d give him no.31 down there with Bassong - who I think is obviously being given the cold shoulder. [/quote]

Could they not just be hedging their bets? They want to get rid of him but incase they can''t they want to make it look like they still see him as being able to play a part.

And also, this might be a bit more of a stretch, could it not be so that outsiders think we''re still considering him for next season and aren''t just going to write him off or let him go for virtually nothing? It''d surely weaken our position in a deal if we were giving off the impression that he''s rubbish and we have no intention of using him.

wolfswinkel wanted number 20 shirt and has agreed to stay until January window along with leroy fer

ncfc2012 wrote the following post at 02/07/2014 4:15 PM:

wolfswinkel wanted number 20 shirt and has agreed to stay until January window along with leroy fer

where did you read that?

ncfc2012 wrote the following post at 02/07/2014 4:15 PM:

And so they should. Their has to be a level of acceptance from the players that they were the ones that got relegated so they should try to put it right. I hope you are right and they do stay.

He was number 9 at Utrecht, number 9 at Sporting Lisbon, number 9 for us last season, and number 9 for Holland U21.

If he "wanted number 20" then I''m Santa Claus.

The club must want him gone.

We have to remember that we have no idea how much we are paying this man, or what add ons are involved. If he wants to stay, and we can''t afford him, then maybe we are giving him a push.

What if we had an add-on which said £2m after 50 games and £2m after 15 goals?

Good value when those are Premier League games and goals, a lot of money for the Championship?

RvW will not score goals in the Championship. Hooper has a track record of exactly that. All of the club''s efforts should be put into retaining Hooper''s services.

Strangely, van Persie wears number 20 for ManUtd when they have nobody wearing the number 9.

As for Olsson wearing 23, it might be a Michael Jordan connection, but he seems to prefer it. Maybe he also doesn''t want to be seen as ''just'' a FB, as he can play on the wing as well.

My better half accidentally put my RVW 9 shirt through the drier at the weekend and said she was gutted she''d ruined my top and would buy me another. I replied "don''t worry about it love, it was ruined months ago the day I got the name and number on the back!"

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]My better half accidentally put my RVW 9 shirt through the drier at the weekend and said she was gutted she''d ruined my top and would buy me another. I replied "don''t worry about it love, it was ruined months ago the day I got the name and number on the back!"[/quote]

Your life is just like an episode of ''Terry & June''.

"Your life is just like an episode of ''Terry & June''"

Haha was thinking the same thing. Could almost hear the canned laughter!