Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Keepers

Interesting what we''ll be thinking this window, on one hand we''ve got Ruddy potentially attracting big money, on the other we''ve got Rudd coming back from an exceptional season in league 1. Leaves us a bit of a conundrum.

Ruddy: Undoubtedly the no. 1 if he stays. It may be that a big offer comes in and he is tempted away. We''re well stocked for keepers if he does go though.

Bunn: The interesting one here, he''s a good keeper, not as good as Ruddy but probably ahead of Rudd for now. I''d say he''s a bit too good to be stuck on a championship bench and in any regard, it might be better for us to have Rudd on the bench as he needs to progress at some point and he''s no doubt a special prospect. If Ruddy goes, we''ll need his experience as the number one keeper rather than throwing Rudd straight in there though. If we let him go and then Ruddy suddenly goes, we''re a bit stuck. If he stays and Ruddy does as well, he''s stuck on the bench or even worse out of the top 2 keepers.

Rudd: Is this Joe Lewis mach 2 or is this Rob Green mach 2? It seems that for at least as long as Ruddy is here, Rudd won''t get a chance. He''s no doubt a talented keeper but he needs the top level (well tier 2 level) experience to show he can really hack it.

It''s a great situation to be in but if we try to cater for all three, we might be left with no decent keepers left!

If Ruddy leaves Bunn would be good enough to replace him at this level. Rudd has the potential to be better than Bunn for sure but while Rudd has had a good season in league 1 it''s well known he''s still very error prone and we''re aiming for the title, we can''t afford to place that on the line for Rudd''s sake and concede 5-10 needless goals this season just because of individual error.

Bunn was only ever found out when crowded by big, strong, athletic attackers at crosses and set pieces. He''s a fine shot stopper, at least as good as Ruddy in that aspect and this league is peppered with average height, average build attackers that Bennet and Turner should be able to cope with in their sleep, physically at least.

The 8-10 million it would take to prise Ruddy away would be much better used in upgrading our woeful, lower Championship quality center midfield (Fer in the mood and Howson for 25% of a game excluded) than spending a lot for a minimal upgrade on an already very adequate keeper like Bunn

It would take a truly ridiculous bid for Ruddy to leave. He is happy at the club, likes the area and would be unlikely to want to uproot his family for a few extra pounds a week.

I might be wrong, but I wouldn''t be surprised to see Ruddy here for a few more years yet.

The thing is, if there is a top half premiership team out there that believes in his ability, they will bid the right amount (£10m) and he''ll be gone. I agree he''s not going to jump at the likes of Burnley and Hull coming in for him unless they get silly and pay him £60k a week for 5 years but he''s held in very high regard. I''m slightly worried Southampton may want to spend some of the bucket load of money they have on him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The thing is, if there is a top half premiership team out there that believes in his ability, they will bid the right amount (£10m) and he''ll be gone. I agree he''s not going to jump at the likes of Burnley and Hull coming in for him unless they get silly and pay him £60k a week for 5 years but he''s held in very high regard. I''m slightly worried Southampton may want to spend some of the bucket load of money they have on him.[/quote]

Apparently Saints are after £8m rated former Norwich villian David Marshall

But if Cardiff decide to delude themselves that he''s worth £15m and Southampton baulk at that, then what do they do? There''s a real merry go round of available keepers at the moment with the likes of Navas and ochoa available for pittance. With 2 months left of the window, it''ll be interesting to see where we''re at. I bet Ruddy is hurting a bit from his England snub. If he played like he did for us in a top 4 shirt, he''d be in ahead of Hart at the moment or at least challenging though I think the same of Forster.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] I''m slightly worried Southampton may want to spend some of the bucket load of money they have on him.[/quote]In your OP you tell us "We''re well stocked for keepers if he (Ruddy)

does go though.

"Bunn is "a bit too good to be stuck on a championship bench" and Rudd is "no doubt a talented keeper but he needs the top level (well tier 2 level) experience to show he can really hack it".Just over an hour later you''re worried about Ruddy leaving.Are you just confused Jimmy or are you trying to confuse us? 

Well let''s face it, he''s an exceptional player for this level. We are well stocked with championship level keepers but they don''t give the guarantees that Ruddy would.

We might get fortunate like Newcastle did when Carroll stepped up to the mark at this level and became a £35m striker a year later or Rudd would crash and burn.

We are covered and Bunn would be an adequate first choice if Ruddy was to go but it would hurt our promotion bid. Bunns level is championship and whilst he''d be good enough to ensure there''d be no point us using the Ruddy money to get a new keeper in as we''d not be able to attract anyone markedly better than Bunn, he''s not exactly Ruddy level. He deserves better than being sat on the bench for a championship team though as he''d get in just about every other team at this level. Someone like Leeds could do with him and being first choice for them over 2nd choice for us would be better for him.

Rudd is an unknown quantity. He could turn out to be as good as Ruddy or even better, he could just flail away to obscurity.

If Ruddy was to leave I''d want a new ''keeper signed or Rudd given a go.

I just don''t think Bunn is good enough. I couldn''t see us getting promoted if we had him in goal for the whole season.

Agreed GJP, he doesn''t provide the certainty that Ruddy provides but I don''t think we''d attract much better than him and if we did, they''d be marked up ridiculously high in price. It''d be great if Rudd made it and got us promoted with his clean sheets but nobody could say if he''s good enough or not.

My initial proviso for this season was that with it being our first year down, we should keep faith in a lot of our ''fallen stars'' while we can and the time for gambling with youth players and "starting a fresh" would be next season when if we''re still down here and losing parachute payments. I think the club are thinking similar hence why there''s only been Snoddy moved on so far and that was for silly money given his contract situation. Hope i''m right and we get through this transfer window at least with our key players still here.

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]

Bunn was only ever found out when crowded by big, strong, athletic attackers at crosses and set pieces.

[/quote]

Sadly thats what we will face in the chanps and why I simply dont fancy bunn.    Give me rudd (who faced similar week in and out in league one) - I do think he has a furture for us and would be happy to give him the starting slot permanently should Ruddy decided to stay in the prem (that is his standard) 

He was also found out by shots into the corner. Doesn''t have the reach of Ruddy.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Agreed GJP, he doesn''t provide the certainty that Ruddy provides but I don''t think we''d attract much better than him and if we did, they''d be marked up ridiculously high in price. [/quote]

Well our last three regular ''keepers have been Ruddy, Forster and Marshall. All of them are quite a bit better than Bunn so I don''t see why we couldn''t attract someone much better than him again. Especially considering we''re in a stronger position now than when we signed any of those three.

Price wise...who knows? We''d have a few quid to spend after selling Ruddy.

I don''t think Ruddy is worth anywhere near £10m. If we really got a bid of that size we would be stupid not to take it.

He is a solid keeper and appears to be a good character but the reason he missed out on a place in the England squad was because he didn''t have a great season - he had some solid games but didn''t make enough outstanding saves to win us points - which is what Foster did for West Brom and what Marshall did at Cardiff.

He was moving towards outstanding when he got his injury last year and I think it will take him another year or so to get back there. So, yes, I would certainly take £10m - though I don''t think anyone will bid anywhere near that if Marshall is only rated at £8m.

If he were to leave I would be happy with either of Bunn or Rudd as No 1. Can''t see all 3 of them hanging around though and I suspect it will be Bunn who moves on.

[quote user="sgncfc"]the reason he missed out on a place in the England squad was because he didn''t have a great season - he had some solid games but didn''t make enough outstanding saves to win us points - which is what Foster did for West Brom and what Marshall did at Cardiff.[/quote]

A bit harsh if you ask me.   Ruddy kept us in many games and quite a few points we did get were down to him.  Plenty of clean sheets too. Foster and Marshall are no better imo.  His confidence may have suffered from too many goals going in - but a lot of them were not down to him.  The defence/midfield were so weak at holding on to the ball and when losing it, failing to track back well enough or close down players well enough - that he had little help at times.   A good season next year will enhance his reputation as one of the best in the country and see him in the England squad for the Euros.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The defence/midfield were so weak at holding on to the ball and when losing it, failing to track back well enough or close down players well enough - that he had little help at times.[/quote]All things the manager should have sorted out.....but failed.Glad you''ve finally got round to recognising this Lakey. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]The defence/midfield were so weak at holding on to the ball and when losing it, failing to track back well enough or close down players well enough - that he had little help at times.[/quote]All things the manager should have sorted out.....but failed.Glad you''ve finally got round to recognising this Lakey. [:D][/quote]

Not rocket science is it Lapps?  The question for me though has always been was it the manager or players......players or manager......or a combination of the two........that was failing............remember,  our possession % in matches were not that great under Lambert in his premier season with us.......

We won''t have that problem this season and Ruddy will have a better time because of it - and will look a much more confident figure as a result. 

[quote user="GJP"]

If Ruddy was to leave I''d want a new ''keeper signed or Rudd given a go.

I just don''t think Bunn is good enough. I couldn''t see us getting promoted if we had him in goal for the whole season.

[/quote]

But we didn''t get relegated from the premier league in the season he played half the games ...did we ?