Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Burnleys Buys

Look so underwhelming!

Kightly signed permenantly is good but nothing special then you have Sordell who hardly set the championship alive, Gilks who once bench warmed for us, Baird who joined and then left! Matt Taylor who is most likely past his best and not the most reliable for staying fit.Finally, Steven Reid who again is past his best and was arguably never really a solid premiership standard player ever.

I realise these deals might end up being good and that as football is unpredictable and fair enough if they do but i''d be massively underwhelmed if that was our shopping list in the championship and they''re a league above!

I have to agree.

At the same time, when we were promoted to the Prem, I remember quite a few journos making comments along the lines that Paul Lambert had put together a Championship-winning squad for the season after next.  It is certainly ironic that we put together our strongest squad last summer, at least on paper.

People said the same about us in 2011, 2 League 1 wingers for example raised some questions. The difference is Burnley, like we had have a great management team and a team full of goals and hungry, committed players with something to prove. They''ll be fine next year.

I''d take a great manager and a team of limited but hungry, committed and mentally strong players like Burnley, Palace and us in 2011 than a poor manager in charge of good quality but mentally weak mercenaries every day of the week. It''s much easier to support as well

There is some merit in clubs taking the cheap option when they get into the premiership.  Don''t go overboard the first season, give it a good go with what yo''vre got with a tweak here and there - if it works invest a bit more the following season and build gradually - as we tried to do.   If you then go down after one season, you haven''t spent yourself into trouble. 

I''d strongly back them to better QPR and Leicesters seasons next year as well. Egotistical, arrogant foreign clueless owners chucking stupid money at the most famous players they can find will always be a recepie for disaster. But hey, they can sell shirts in Asia and make a lot of money, who cares about those clubs fans though right, as long as the rich people get what they want :P

I just think they look like Worthys promotion buys as opposed to Lamberts.

I suppose our back 4 of Martin, Ward, Barnett/ Whitbread and Tierney coped alright in our first season! I just wonder what Taylor and Reid have to give and if Sordell is really cut out for the premiership.

Having said that, it isn''t like FIFA or FM in that players are consigned to a set potential ability or current ability. The possibilities are near enough endless. The computer games usually get it right but often unfancied players shine through in real life. Did anyone think we''d get Holt scoring 15 in a premiership season when we first signed him? Or that Ruddy would be turning down £10m moves to Chelsea when he was sent on loan to Motherwell?

I think you are being a little harsh on the players in the main there, Kightly - played at Prem level before.

Gilks had a really good season in the Prem with Blackpool to the extent that he was being linked with Man City (seriously) as back up but wanted 1st team football after almost quitting football with his NCFC issues

Matt Taylor & Steven Reid played in the Prem for several seasons, not world beaters but good solid pros that will help the promising young lads

There''s still a long long way to go before anyone should judge this transfer window - they could have Ruddy, Redmond, Howson and Hooper before September!

Gilks - Bunn

Reid - Whittaker

Sordell - Jackson

If Gilks is 2nd to Heaton, Reid 2nd to Trippier, Sordell 4th choice striker, then they are no weaker as squad members than ours in first season under Hughton.

Interesting to see that all signings have been British or Irish, they came up with a squad which was almost completely British and Irish.

Lambert did exactly the same, came up with British and Irish players, and then bought the same when he came up.

He avoided the divisions which can occur between British players and foreign players. Overseas players are forever moaning about the football culture over here, players having a drink on a Saturday night.

Definitely much more Lambert than Worthington.