Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Interesting conversation about Zola and Adams....

We met in Delia''s Brasserie, Carrow Road

Where you drink crap wine and it tastes just like cherry-colaSee-oh-ell-ey Cola...He walked up to me and he asked for a chance

I asked him his name and in a squeaky voice he said ZolaZed-oh-ell-ey Zola

Well I''m not the world''s most tactical guyBut he plays four-three-three with a flaky spine?Oh, my Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!

Well I''m not dumb but I can''t understand

Why he rates Danny Mills but not Ryan Bertrand

Oh my Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!Well we discussed McNally and Stephen Fry,And Colin Calderwood''s lazy eye,Then I picked him up, sat him on my knee

And said "Oh bless, you''re only four foot three,"

Well I''m not the world''s most resilient guy

But when he punched my eye, I almost fell for my ZolaZola! Za-za-za-za Zola!Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!

Repeat to fadeor suicideI don''t care which, particularly

So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.Ummmmm

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]We met in Delia''s Brasserie, Carrow Road

Where you drink crap wine and it tastes just like cherry-colaSee-oh-ell-ey Cola...He walked up to me and he asked for a chance

I asked him his name and in a squeaky voice he said ZolaZed-oh-ell-ey Zola

Well I''m not the world''s most tactical guyBut he plays four-three-three with a flaky spine?Oh, my Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!

Well I''m not dumb but I can''t understand

Why he rates Danny Mills but not Ryan Bertrand

Oh my Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!Well we discussed McNally and Stephen Fry,And Colin Calderwood''s lazy eye,Then I picked him up, sat him on my knee

And said "Oh bless, you''re only four foot three,"

Well I''m not the world''s most resilient guy

But when he punched my eye, I almost fell for my ZolaZola! Za-za-za-za Zola!Zola! Za-za-za-za Zola!

Repeat to fadeor suicideI don''t care which, particularly[/quote][:D]

[quote user="The Young One"]So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.Ummmmm [/quote]No-one at the club said Adams was the first choice. There was a very carefully phrased statement that Adams was the first person they had offered the job to, and that no-one else had turned it down, which is not the same thing. There is a significant difference between an informal offer, which was almost certainly made to Mackay as their first choice, but which was if not rejected then certainly not accepted, and the formal offer later made to Adams, knowing he was  going to say Yes.

.......................McNally also denied that others, including former Cardiff manager and Malky Mackay - who once played for Norwich - and former Celtic boss Neil Lennon, had turned the job down.

"I am not going to talk about any other individuals, but I can confirm Neil was the first person to be offered the job, so nobody has turned down the job," he said.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Young One"]So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.Ummmmm [/quote]No-one at the club said Adams was the first choice. There was a very carefully phrased statement that Adams was the first person they had offered the job to, and that no-one else had turned it down, which is not the same thing. There is a significant difference between an informal offer, which was almost certainly made to Mackay as their first choice, but which was if not rejected then certainly not accepted, and the formal offer later made to Adams, knowing he was  going to say Yes.[/quote]Purple CanaryThat''s the problem with these threads, you said "No-one at the club said Adams was the first choice"  incorrect, that''s my point. McNally said
“We’re convinced that we made the right choice – he was our first choice appointment.”

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-david-mcnally-norwich-city-1572128.aspx#o06JZLrdtdJbFyct.99I give up on this board, so much c r a p posted, by  people who think they know something but actually don''t.

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Young One"]So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.Ummmmm [/quote]No-one at the club said Adams was the first choice. There was a very carefully phrased statement that Adams was the first person they had offered the job to, and that no-one else had turned it down, which is not the same thing. There is a significant difference between an informal offer, which was almost certainly made to Mackay as their first choice, but which was if not rejected then certainly not accepted, and the formal offer later made to Adams, knowing he was  going to say Yes.[/quote]Purple CanaryThat''s the problem with these threads, you said "No-one at the club said Adams was the first choice"  incorrect, that''s my point. McNally said
“We’re convinced that we made the right choice – he was our first choice appointment.”

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-david-mcnally-norwich-city-1572128.aspx#o06JZLrdtdJbFyct.99I give up on this board, so much c r a p posted, by  people who think they know something but actually don''t.

[/quote]I''m not pretending anything. That phrase "first choice appointment is very ambiguous. It doesn''t necessarily mean Adams was initially top of their wish list (almost certainly Mackay) was but that he ended up there, not least because he wanted the job while Mackay was stalling. That scenario ties in perfectly with the carefully-worded statement from Bowkett after Adams was chosen and with the accounts given by the only two journalists (Wyett and Dennis) who seem to know anything about what really goes on at Carrow Road.

you can''t say Adams was 1st choice then go about saying everyone talks c r a p on this forum. You can''t take anything that our CEO says for face value; he said that he''d prefer death over relegation...where''s his body then? Alive thats where.

(which is obviously a good thing but i''m just making a point)

But Mrs Miggins, to make my point, Purple Canary said"No-one

at the club said Adams was the first choice. "
McNally said

Think we will have to agree to disagree. 

To add I never said Adams was first choice, McNally did. So I was quoting quoted words for all to see, not based on something that can''t be quoted.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I''m not pretending anything. That phrase "first choice appointment is very ambiguous. It doesn''t necessarily mean Adams was initially top of their wish list (almost certainly Mackay) was but that he ended up there, not least because he wanted the job while Mackay was stalling. That scenario ties in perfectly with the carefully-worded statement from Bowkett after Adams was chosen and with the accounts given by the only two journalists (Wyett and Dennis) who seem to know anything about what really goes on at Carrow Road.[/quote]Just to add, if Adams really had been the club''s first choice all along they would have said so in totally unambiguous language. They would have said: "He was always our first choice" or some such. That they had to resort to carefully-phrased and ambiguous comments indicates he was not.Myself I wanted Mackay, who almost certainly was that first choice, and I think he may come to regret stalling in the hope of something better, particularly as the team being assembled around Adams (Royle, Holt, Robson, Simmonds and Martin) looks impressive, as do the early signings.

[quote user="The Young One"]So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.

But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.

Ummmmm
[/quote]

4th choice what, we know he was 1st choice appointment but what was he 4th choice of?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="The Young One"]So basically if you take on board this thread, Adams was 4th Choice, After Lennon, Malky & Zola.But McNally has stated Adams was 1st choice.Ummmmm [/quote]

4th choice what, we know he was 1st choice appointment but what was he 4th choice of?

[/quote]

Read the thread please.

Barossa wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 4:25 AM:

McNally also denied that others, including former Cardiff manager and Malky Mackay - who once played for Norwich - and former Celtic boss Neil Lennon, had turned the job down.

"I am not going to talk about any other individuals, but I can confirm Neil was the first person to be offered the job, so nobody has turned down the job," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He sure does like to lie a lot then

I''m going to wade into this thread as well with what I know.

1) Adams was invited to apply, and told he would be looked at favourably in the week leading up to the Chelsea game. He impressed many of the board straight way with his handling of the squad and approach to games. Some players very supportive of his style.

2) Oscar Garica was interviewed, the decision on who would be manager was delayed to allow him to speak to McNally and co. Unclear who didn''t like who, he was a credible candidate.

3) Neil Lennon was never in the running, he was asked if he would like to interview but he said no. He is taking some time away from the game.

4) No idea what the deal was with Malky, he spoke to club but who rejected who is unclear. He certainly wouldn''t fit into ''the Norwich Way'' of attacking football. It is known that McNally is not a fan.

That''s what I have picked up over the last few months from a variety of people. I would say I am 75% certain on most of it and more on other bits.

Why the process was delayed so much is unclear - I suspect like with Garcia and last minute candidate popped up (maybe Zola) but then faded away.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I''m going to wade into this thread as well with what I know.

1) Adams was invited to apply, and told he would be looked at favourably in the week leading up to the Chelsea game. He impressed many of the board straight way with his handling of the squad and approach to games. Some players very supportive of his style.

2) Oscar Garica was interviewed, the decision on who would be manager was delayed to allow him to speak to McNally and co. Unclear who didn''t like who, he was a credible candidate.

3) Neil Lennon was never in the running, he was asked if he would like to interview but he said no. He is taking some time away from the game.

4) No idea what the deal was with Malky, he spoke to club but who rejected who is unclear. He certainly wouldn''t fit into ''the Norwich Way'' of attacking football. It is known that McNally is not a fan.

That''s what I have picked up over the last few months from a variety of people. I would say I am 75% certain on most of it and more on other bits.

Why the process was delayed so much is unclear - I suspect like with Garcia and last minute candidate popped up (maybe Zola) but then faded away.

[/quote]Bethnal, that largely ties in with Mick Dennis''s (I suspect authoritative) account (although Garcia doesn''t get a mention):Neil Lennon, who resigned as Celtic manager earlier in the day, had

been linked with Norwich since watching them in the FA Cup match at

Fulham last season but was not a serious contender at any stage.Gianfranco Zola, who declared his interest in the job earlier this

week, was considered but discounted. He was sacked by both West Ham and

Watford.As is always the case, others had their agents sound Norwich out, but

it became a two-horse race between Mackay and Adams. Norwich thought

Mackay was stalling to see what other vacancies might become available

and, after the criticisms of Hughton, Mackay’s reputation for pragmatic

football was a worry. Meanwhile, Adams’ position was strengthening.That would also tie in with Charlie Wyett saying Mackay (despite McNally''s earlier doubts about him) was initially the first choice (and was even informally offered the job) but his stalling tactic led him to lose ground while Adams''s appeal grew stronger. In other words the Mackay rejection was a two-way process. His lack of enthusiam started to put us off him.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Zola lives in Chislehurst, not London. Just saying.[/quote]

Anything south of Diss is either London or London overspill.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Barossa wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 4:25 AM:

McNally also denied that others, including former Cardiff manager and Malky Mackay - who once played for Norwich - and former Celtic boss Neil Lennon, had turned the job down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He sure does like to lie a lot then[/quote]

Somehow I believe him other than a few people on here

[quote user="Barossa"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Barossa wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 4:25 AM: McNally also denied that others, including former Cardiff manager and Malky Mackay - who once played for Norwich - and former Celtic boss Neil Lennon, had turned the job down. "I am not going to talk about any other individuals, but I can confirm Neil was the first person to be offered the job, so nobody has turned down the job," he said. ----------------------------------------------------------------- He sure does like to lie a lot then[/quote] Somehow I believe him other than a few people on here[/quote]

It''s not a lie, those managers were never, formally, offerred the job. Lennon never even interviewed for it - but it does seem they wanted Malky and he said no. Doesn''t mean he was offerred the job, he just made it clear if that was to happen, he would say no.

Technically, he never turned it down, because he was never offered it but if he had been more receptive, he would have been offerred it.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]...says people who live in caves and eat coal. :)[/quote]

I love coal, tea tonight is Coal-in-the-hole washed down with some coala-cola, I expect you''ll have to suffice with a Coos-coos salad washed down with a skinny lartay.

A good thread .....but surely just by looking at the course of events, what was said, when it was said etc you can certainly come to the conclusion that NA was not first choice more so than he was first choice.

Great song Bor, one of the best paradies I have seen on here.

As for Zola, regardless of whether he was in the frame, he has been on the TV a lot over here as a WC pundit recently and I have been impressed by him to be honest, initially not so, but them once I understood him and where his views are on football, liked him a lot and could see him as a good alternative manager for us.