Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Interesting conversation about Zola and Adams....

Hi guys,

I don''t post very often, and never get this kind of information and am not sure if anyone has posted this before. I have a friend whose son trains at Chelsea with Zola''s son, and he said that he was definitely offered the job first but turned it down because his wife didn''t want to leave London. I expect the usual ''source'' bollox but just thought I''d pass on what I''d heard. It makes sense as well, seeing as the Adams announcement was delayed for so long and Zola had expressed an interest in the job in the media.

Bring on the new season! OTBC :-D

This has an element of plausibility and goes some way to explaining how it all panned out in the end.

It would have pleased those numpties who bang on about "little Norwich syndrome" - getting an "experienced" "name" coach but it does go to show that perhaps the job wasn''t the big attractive catch they thought it was.

I don''t know if its true, just repeating what my friend said...at least its interesting, unlike most the pre season! Can''t wait for the friendlies to start!!

Doesn''t really make any sense- didn''t he openly say he was interested in the job and then interview? Why would he do that if he knew his wife wouldn''t leave London. Also tbh I don''t think it would be that difficult to do the job with your family in London.

London is hardly far away is it?. If this is true which i find hard to believe what job is he holding out for Leyton Orient, Wycombe or maybe Luton.

I have been told by a very reliable source that Malky was offered the job. He didn''t end up taking it because McNally insisted that Neil Adams was part of his team. He wanted to bring in his own people

Heard similar about Zola''s son. Also that, being a realist, Zola

1.wanted to bring in Dreyfus as coach

2. favoured a Leeds/Watford-style tie-up with Aix-en-Provence for family reasons

3. was desperate to avoid another ''Débâcle''.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Zola''s son plays for Grays Athletic, not Chelsea...[/quote]

Having double checked, it now seems Zola''s son has given up football to become a golfer.

[/quote]

but the OP said...

[quote]Hi guys,

I don''t post very often, and never get this kind of information and am not sure if anyone has posted this before. I have a friend whose son trains at Chelsea with Zola''s son, and he said that he was definitely offered the job first but turned it down because his wife didn''t want to leave London. I expect the usual ''source'' bollox but just thought I''d pass on what I''d heard. It makes sense as well, seeing as the Adams announcement was delayed for so long and Zola had expressed an interest in the job in the media.

Bring on the new season! OTBC :-D [/quote]

[img]http://www.naffgiftshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/naffgifts/images/plastic-card-stop-talking-crap-3560-p.jpg[/img]

We know someone turned us down however.. I think it was Lennon

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Hi guys,

Bring on the new season! OTBC :-D[/quote]She is a pretty frightening woman used to getting her way. Not christened Gorgon for nothing...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Hi guys,

Bring on the new season! OTBC :-D[/quote]She is a pretty frightening woman used to getting her way. Not christened Gorgon for nothing...[/quote]I see what you did there… nice work![:)]

Malky and Lennon were offered the job, but i don''t know about zola. There was an interview in which he said he would be interested in the job but interviews don''t really mean that much

Well, I thought it was well known-ish that it was Malky that turned us down again. At the time he was being linked with WBA. Must be gutted now.

Never fancied Malky at the helm TBH, rather have Neil,as for Mr Zola... not sure of ''celebrity'' managers.

I was originally quite angry when I first read your comment, but tbh I would probably have posted the same in someone else''s shoes when reading my post. There''s no point in going on about ''sources'' and all that stuff as, firstly no-one believes you when you do state how you know this bit of info (why should they) and second, it doesn''t really matter, its not going to affect anything whether i know something to be fact or someone else does, especially in this situation. But what I don''t understand is why people make things up to inflate an ''online'' ego, i don''t see the point in that.

People seem to like to think that Adams was third or fourth choice, but that is surely just wishful thinking.  "Oh, we must have offered the job to Lennon, Mackay and/or Zola".  Why?  Because they are "names" in comparison to Adams?   Could it just be that every candidate was given  due consideration but that Adams fitted the requirements better?   In other words he was the best on offer.    It doesn''t matter if Malky wanted this, or Zola wanted that - we got Adams because he was the best choice out of the candidates.  It happens like that sometimes - a favourite for a job doesn''t get it and is overtaken by one of the apparently lesser candidates.  

There can be interesting conversations, there can be posturing because people went for a job and didn''t get it, there can be all sorts of gossip, but it doesn''t change anything - Adams was chosen.   The other candidates mentioned are just also rans.  

Even if it is true, what are the chances that he was bigging up his dad to a mate? It''s possible, as is Malky being offered the job, but I can''t see McNally being willing to chance being caught in a lie. He went out of his way to point out that Malky had never played at the top level (something Adams has done, including a Championship medal with Everton). As with Lambert, it''s something that McNally values.

Mrs Miggins.Okay fair point, but you did state that Malky & Lennon were offered the job first and unsure re Zola, thought I would pick you up on that, as I am fed up with made up rumours on this board.So your source is either incorrect or believes they know more than they really do, or you made it up, or McNally is a liar and was prepared to print that lie. So which one do you think it is ? i''d like to know.My Source, is below from the official NCFC website

This is what McNally stated
“We’re convinced that we made the right choice – he was our first choice appointment.”

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-david-mcnally-norwich-city-1572128.aspx

He wasn''t first choice. Although I know its a fact, you can either believe me or you cannot, at the end of the day it doesn''t really matter I suppose and besides, the decision has already been made. I''m unsure of zola because he wasn''t discussed. I know about Malky and Lennon as well as what was going on with Hughton and certain incidents (which there is no point going into because like i said before, 98% will say its boll0cks anyway and that i don''t have a source).

So basically there''s actually no point in spreading information which you know to be true and to therefore wait for public announcements because there''s also so much $hit from other people on web, it gets lost and one can no longer care for what is true or untrue.

It should be bloody obvious to anyone that Adams was not the first choice! The interview that Delia and Mcnally gave on Norfolk before he was appointed gave that away.