Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Do we Need a Right Back?

For me this is a priority position to fill. The squad numbers and the way Adams used him last season suggest Russell Martin may be mainly used at CB next season. I don''t have much faith in Whitaker but even if he is first choice we need depth in the position. Sam Byram seems like a stand-out candidate but whether we could get him is a different story.

I am not totally convinced that Adams wants to switch Martin. It might have been a case of ''needs must'' at the end of last season because clearly there were issues with Bassong, along with other injuries.

I am also not so dismissive of Whittaker as you are. Yes! Sometimes he does look a bit awkward and slowish but he has had his moments and is a Scottish international, for what it''s worth.

Sam Byram would be a major coup though. Do we stand a chance in that respect?

I''ve heard and say many people say they don''t think Whittaker is Premier League level so I wonder if they''ll see him as Championship level?

But yeah, with Martin seemingly going to be used as a centreback it would appear we''ll need someone else who can play rightback.

I think Whittaker is a decent player and I haven''t any doubts about him being good in the Champs. I know it probably won''t be a popular opinion but I thought Martin was one of the most obvious weak links in the team last season - of the players that started on a regular basis.

[quote user="GJP"] I know it probably won''t be a popular opinion but I thought Martin was one of the most obvious weak links in the team last season - of the players that started on a regular basis.[/quote]I agree with that.

Although woeful in the prem, whittaker will be useful in the championship because he does get forward into good areas, his problem is that he can''t pass or cross to save his life

It will be interesting to see where Adel Gafaiti plays pre season, last year in America, although a CB, he started and played two games at RB. He also played up front for Oldham once, when he came on with about 10 mins to go. So if he does play RB, or more to the point, can do a decent job there, then we essentially already have 3 RB''s. SW, AG and RM if needed and not forgetting EB, who can also play RB.

All that said I expect us to sign a.n.other and keep AG as 4th choice CB.

I think we are more in need of a LB, as I expect Olssen to move on, shame, but he probably has done enough to interest a Prem club.

Right back is a definite problem area  - it was last season when whittaker and martin both struggled, martin was consistently poor,   while whittaker had 2 or 3 good games but far too many shocking ones;   in reality there is very little difference between them, but  my preference was martin only because we conceeded significantly less goals when he played that whittaker.

I do think martin is a better right back than cb,  and also feel martin is the worst cb we have on the books,   on every occassion i would be picking a fit turner, bennet or seb ahead of him.  

So if he plays cb we have a rb gap - whether its behind whittaker (who will be good enough in the chumps) or Elliott B or a new sam byram type signing - worth the investment in large transfer fee.      

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Although woeful in the prem, whittaker will be useful in the championship because he does get forward into good areas, his problem is that he can''t pass or cross to save his life[/quote]

Although his pass/cross/shot to RVW against Everton was nigh on perfect........[;)]

How RVW controlled that header when the ball was spinning so visciously was a pretty remarkable piece of evidence as to his finishing skills.  Don''t know what happened after that goal.......oh yes, that penalty.......

Yes we do, should have been JamesTavernier for me.

even after Byrams injury hit season I cant see us landing him, Man City were reportdly offering big money before his injury!

Yes, I think that we do, even if we sign a central defender and Martin isn''t needed there.

Neither Martin nor Whittaker fill me with confidence, even at Championship level, especially if they are up against a speedy or otherwise very good winger. I would be happy if they can find a very good prospect, quick enough to compete when we are back in the Prem.

I agree that RB is a position that needs to be strengthened. My first choice would be Sam Byram as a replacement, failing that, Andre Wisdom on a loan to buy?

It depends. If R. Martin is moving to CB then yes, we definitely need a new RB as we would only have Whittaker as a senior RB. If Martin isn''t moving to CB and is still considered a RB then I think we have more pressing needs (particularly filling in that gap at CB) then upgrading our RB position.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Although woeful in the prem, whittaker will be useful in the championship because he does get forward into good areas, his problem is that he can''t pass or cross to save his life[/quote]

Although his pass/cross/shot to RVW against Everton was nigh on perfect........[;)]

How RVW controlled that header when the ball was spinning so visciously was a pretty remarkable piece of evidence as to his finishing skills.  Don''t know what happened after that goal.......oh yes, that penalty.......

[/quote]"Do we need a Right Back" becomes "Bloody Snodgrass"...Try to look forwards and not back, there''s a good fellow.Yes, I think we need another right back.  But not as much as a midfielder who can pass the ball both forwards and to a team mate.

John Brayford looked quality for Derby last time we played them at CR in promotion season. Yet he can''t get in Cardiff team now and spent last season on loan at Sheffield United. Maybe Martin Kelly on loan from Liverpool.

You would imagine right back would be a priority. But may it depend on Adams formation next season?

Martin does not attack and cross with any real skill, he just appears there and gets on with it. He defends like a centre back at times and seems loathe to actually tackle. Having said that, I think he will do another steady job as a CB in the Championship.

Whitaker is much better at attacking but is vulnerable when under pressure and seems unable to make the right decisions at times.

I would like to think that maybe Elliot Bennett and Olsson could be a very capable duo and certainly with the pace and energy to attack and defend.

Good observation Keelan, Benno could well end up as a RB, would be worth a try and with Olsson on the other side that could be some pairing.