Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

The type of players we need to buy

Given noone leaves and need to be replaced we need the following:

1- Creative midfielder who can dictate the game and with a high pass accuracy or/and who can shoot from distance. Howson can become this player though.

2. Rightback with pace and presence. Pace is a big concern in our back four.

3. Central defender with stature, pace and a fairly cool head.

To finance it, sell Bassong, Hooper/RvW (depending on who will raise the most), Johnson, Surman

So, the "only" problem is that any defender with pace to burn in todays market is either at a big club, being priced out of our range, or will not play in the Championship.

And any midfielder with playmaker capabilities is not playing in England, but rather in low-tempo leagues like Italy or Spain, and will take time to settle, if ever, in England.

No. 1 could be Leroy Fer. He fits all the above, we just need to make sure his hearts in it.

No. 2 I think we will stick with Russell Martin. I really hope we are not planning for him at CB and Whittaker as RB. Disaster waiting to happen.

No. 3 agree with that one. Turner is out of contract (is he staying?) Bassongs future is up in the air and Bennett only has a year left on his deal. Our key buy this summer.

1. Will Hughes (if we were ever really in for McCormack then we clearly have the money)2. Adam Matthews3. Harry Maguire , not the quickest but solid and a good prospect

the problem is the board have no ambition and wont fund itdespite the parachute payments and inevitable transfer revenue from snodgrass + whoever else goes (im expecting fer, bassong and hooper gone at least, probably olsson as well) they will go for the budget option, we also have a manager with no experience who you have to wonder why anyone would want to come and play for

also, whilst i think we need quick young right back id say a quick young left back is a priority, we can probably get away with rotating martin and whittaker at right back this season but when olsson goes we will be left with garrido

iron_stan,

Glad to see I''m not the only one more concerned about the LB position than RB. At RB we have Whitts, RM (who imo is a better player than many on here think) and if need be, AG and EB. At LB, once MO leaves, as you quite rightly point out we are left with just Garrido and possible SW for cover (he plays LB for Scotland), so probably both a LB and RB are needed, with the LB a priority.

Will Hughes is premiership bound. Liverpool have strong links. I could see Southampton being interested.

As for left back. I''d say it''s 70:30 in our favour that he''ll stay. Even if he does go. I think Garrido is more than good enough to cover. Right back is far weaker.

Would Adam Matthews come to us? If so, he''d be a great shout.

I''m not sure who would really fit the bill for Centre Half. I like the idea of Michael Keane from Man U though if they loan him out or Nathaniel Chalobah who might be more of a Centre Mid though.

It''s all very well to expect players to leave, but until they do, new players can''t be brought in. Matthews is a good shout though (as the vacancy is there) and I think we''ll see loan deals for good young PL players later in the window.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]No. 1 could be Leroy Fer. He fits all the above, we just need to make sure his hearts in it.

.[/quote]

For some reason I struggle to see Leroy Fer being creative. He may have been mismanaged under Hughton, but nevertheless, he seems to lack tempo in his game, both physical and in his mind. Things have a tendency to proceed in rather sloooooow tempo with him. Hope I''m wrong and you right, though.

Will Hughes recently signed a new 4 year deal at Derby, he isn''t going anywhere for a while.

Fer has played nearly all his football as a creative, attacking midfielder - he isn''t like a Sneijder who will sit there and thread the perfect pass etc, but more a Yaya, who will burst forward from midfield.

He is maybe still too use to the slower pass of Dutch football, and the sheer number of games caused him to fatigue last season - there was a period where he and Howson played every game for a couple of months. But hopefully he has improved on that and will be able to be rotated a little more in the Championship.

With all the strikers coming in I think Adams is planning two up front, probably using Lafferty as a second striker to come a little deeper and link things up, if so a ''number 10'' isn''t really needed as Norwich will probably go pretty direct.

If Norwich end up going pretty direct, I think a 4-3-1-2 would work. We have the players for it, but I doubt it''ll happen. Too much risk for the new man in charge

Would be an interesting system, getting back to the diamond that served Norwich so well before.

However, it would be tough to accommodate players such as Elliott Bennet and Redmond in such a formation.

Would be interesting to see if a former winger, would set-up a wingerless formation.

Part of the reasoning in hiring Adams was he is a ''progressive'' coach, as said by Bowkett and McNally several times. Ironically I can see Norwich setting up in 4-4-2 on the first day of the season with Hooper and Lafferty up front with a classic ''big man, little man'' partnership.

Attacking/creative midfielder- if Hoolahan is going or doesn''t want to be here

CB- someone with a bit of pace

LM- to replace snodders, although some of the strikers we have have played wide, their positions that they excel at are in the striking position, thats why we bought them. Redmond on the right, new LM

--------

GK - we''re more than fine

LB - garrido is very solid championship level, olsson was good last season

RB- whittaker is at his level, martin-our captain and solid 6/7 every week

DefMid- BJ and Tettey - great (wish we had fox back in the squad if we sometimes need him who''s a great passer)

CM - Fer, Howson, Surman

RM- Bennet, Redmond

ST- we''re in business as long as we''ve got hooper

Think we should get kalas on loan from chelsea ,looks a promising player can play cb or rb