Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Houghtons Legacy of our time in the Premier League

Leaving the club saddled with massive wages bills for players we don''t want, cant offload and are clearly not part of Adams plans :-

They are all very committed to there wage packet making very positive noises in public, but in private are longing for the big payoff we will give them to leave. None will formally ask for a transfer as this would mean that they would forgo any compo

Wolf - he has 4 years left on a contract probably worth £4M - £1Mpa

Bassong - 2 years left on a contract probably worth £1.9M - £950Kpa

Bechio - 2 years left on a contract worth £1.5M - £750Kpa

Yes we have parachute payments but these 3 alone will cost us £7.4M

Chris thank you

Please don''t tell me they will all come good, those that watch games live know they wont and Adams does not want them

[quote user="splutcho"]Can we please just get a moderator for this forum? Just one is all that''s needed.[/quote]Serious question this........is there anybody from this forum who goes on TWTD (or similar) and performs the same act as Newton and his type do on here ? And would they admit to it ?!In fairness to Blue Mike and Portman King, they never pretended to be anything other than ITFC fans, and just came on here for a bit of friendly banter .

Wolf - he has 4 years left on a contract probably worth £4M - £1Mpa

Bassong - 2 years left on a contract probably worth £1.9M - £950Kpa

Bechio - 2 years left on a contract worth £1.5M - £750Kpa

Are these figures correct ? And is it before or after the relegation clause in their contracts ?

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Are these figures correct ? And is it before or after the relegation clause in their contracts ? [/quote] There used to be some fag packet accountants around here (C.G.F.P.A), but unforunately they went into liquidation. [;)]

Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton. Hughton.

If you''re going to bit(h about him at least get his name right.

If you think for one second that the manager is the one who puts these players on the wages they''re on then you are deluded.

A manager has a list of players he wants, the board then does the buying and negotiating of price, contract details.

And no other manager relieved of his duties has ever left his successor saddled with expensive players he doesn''t want?

Ever?

Just wish we could move on.........but for what its worth, I reckon that the majority of the players signed by CH are quality, they just didnt work out well often enough playing together as a team........

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Just wish we could move on.........but for what its worth, I reckon that the majority of the players signed by CH are quality, they just didnt work out well often enough playing together as a team........[/quote]

Now then, I would agree with that, but who did we end up with in midfield most of the time?  Johnson.  A good player maybe at championship level, but unable to support Fer or whoever he was alongside with enough quality passes and link up play.   Midfield is where we struggled - the loss of Fer/Tettey/Howson during the season hampered us a lot in midfield.   Add a less than effective Snodgrass an inexperienced Redmond and strikers who had lost the will to live waiting for a cross or a through ball and the rest is history.    Pilkington and E. Bennett were major disappointments with their absence for whatever reasons.   Hughton, rightly, takes responsibility for it, but the circumstances from the first day of the season were against us. Roll on the new season so we can just start looking forwards.

But Lakey you can''t blame the midfield without blaming the manager for the tactics he used.

The midfield suffered in the same way as the forwards. The very narrow attack gave the centre midfield players nobody to pass to in an advanced wide position, no opportunity to play balls into any space in the box and rarely a chance from open play to make a run into the box.

Space was denied and so was the chance to effectively attack.

The midfield must have been so frustrated.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]But Lakey you can''t blame the midfield without blaming the manager for the tactics he used.

The midfield suffered in the same way as the forwards. The very narrow attack gave the centre midfield players nobody to pass to in an advanced wide position, no opportunity to play balls into any space in the box and rarely a chance from open play to make a run into the box.

Space was denied and so was the chance to effectively attack.

The midfield must have been so frustrated.[/quote]

Yes - and weren''t we all.   I''m not going to say much about it anymore because I get shouted down, but when the tactics worked, they worked well - its just that they didn''t work well enough, often enough.  

I didn''t think you minded too much about getting shouted down!

I agree with much of what you have written about Snodgrass but just wonder if he played to the tactics and instructions given or whether the tactics were fashioned around the way he played his game?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I didn''t think you minded too much about getting shouted down!

I agree with much of what you have written about Snodgrass but just wonder if he played to the tactics and instructions given or whether the tactics were fashioned around the way he played his game?[/quote]

Yeah, but its getting too much in the past now and I want to look forwards.  As for Snodgrass, we''ll never know how much was down to him or down to the manager''s instructions - I''ve had a strong sense that Hughton relies on his players to do a lot of the thinking for him - he gives them the basic plan and then expects them to be able to express themselves within that framework.  Snodgrass took a lot on himself, but overall, our players were simply not good enough to implement that plan and express themselves well enough. At Newcastle he had some excellent players and a settled team so it was easier for him. At Norwich he was trying to construct something from scratch. It did work sometimes, but as the pressure increased last season it simply got too difficult for everybody and the team and manager ran out of ideas.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I didn''t think you minded too much about getting shouted down!

I agree with much of what you have written about Snodgrass but just wonder if he played to the tactics and instructions given or whether the tactics were fashioned around the way he played his game?[/quote]

Yeah, but its getting too much in the past now and I want to look forwards.  As for Snodgrass, we''ll never know how much was down to him or down to the manager''s instructions - I''ve had a strong sense that Hughton relies on his players to do a lot of the thinking for him - he gives them the basic plan and then expects them to be able to express themselves within that framework.  Snodgrass took a lot on himself, but overall, our players were simply not good enough to implement that plan and express themselves well enough. At Newcastle he had some excellent players and a settled team so it was easier for him. At Norwich he was trying to construct something from scratch. It did work sometimes, but as the pressure increased last season it simply got too difficult for everybody and the team and manager ran out of ideas.  

[/quote]Fake District talks out his ar se againthis one is priceless even by his absurd standards -" I''ve had a strong sense that Hughton relies on his players to do a lot of the thinking for him"

and if you thought that was meaningless guff, try this gem" At Norwich he was trying to construct something from scratch."from scratch ?we had just finished 12th in the PL

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I didn''t think you minded too much about getting shouted down!

[/quote]Fake District talks out his ar se againthis one is priceless even by his absurd standards -"I''ve had a strong sense that Hughton relies on his players to do a lot of the thinking for him"and if you thought that was meaningless guff, try this gem"At Norwich he was trying to construct something from scratch.from scratch ?we had just finished 12th in the PL [/quote]1st highlighted line is an opinion based on what he did at Newcastle where the players were plainly the ones who did the job for him - he relies on the players - that''s why he failed at Norwich  He sets up a system and relies on the players abilities to do the rest. Ours were not good enough to play like that, which is why it was a;ways going to take two or three years to get to the stage where we got good enough players in throughout the team. Fine, it didn''t work, he failed long before that stage, but it was the only way  it was ever going to work.

2nd highlighted line is what he did.  Effectively, he started from base one - from scratch - ignoring what we had done previously and setting out on a different way of playing.  

Anything else?

He destroyed the legacy left by our greatest ever manager and left us with a demotivated useless rabble.

Compound that with appointing the local radio commentator an ex binner and we are screwed.

Never has a club fallen so quickly since Portsmouth

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Yes - and weren''t we all.   I''m not going to say much about it anymore because I get shouted down, but when the tactics worked, they worked well - its just that they didn''t work well enough, often enough.  

[/quote]Well, Lake, just read the bit I''ve highlighted, and you''ll see just how ridiculous that is. Obviously you cannot deny that factually it''s true (at a superficial level) but I''m sorry, to be a PL manager you need to have your tactics work well MOST OF THE TIME. That, in a nutshell is why so many of us got so frustrated last season, not only by our inept displays, but by your weekly defence of Hughton . Huge numbers of us could see at a very early stage that his tactics weren''t working very well or very often, but, for some obscure reason you could not see that and backed him to the hilt. It''s only with the 20:20 hindsight of history (not to mention the small insignificant matter of relegation ) that you have reassessed your statements.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]Well, Lake, just read the bit I''ve highlighted, and you''ll see just how ridiculous that is. Obviously you cannot deny that factually it''s true (at a superficial level) but I''m sorry, to be a PL manager you need to have your tactics work well MOST OF THE TIME. [/quote]

There is nothing wrong with that statement.  Its a statement with no other inference behind it other than what was the case. It worked sometimes, but it didn''t work often enough.  You have added your own meaning to it.   

I''d say that we''ve done well regarding players stuck on big contracts. I don''t think we have many freeloaders clogging up the wage bill.

Contrary to popular belief, I don''t think it''s necessarily the end for Bassong either. I think we''ll want to try off load him and he''ll want a higher level of football but if the shapes don''t fit in the right holes he''ll stay and I think he''ll challenge for a first team spot.

RvW will get a second chance unless someone decides to pay us £8m or more and we''ll see how that goes before we call him an unneccesary overhead. I bet he''s only on about £35k now anyway, hardly in the leagues of Zigic, Finidi George or Pogrebnyak.

The rest of the side are all useful players who either have been successful in the championship before or are well suited and a class above. On paper, we should run away with this league but obviously there''s more to it than that.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]Well, Lake, just read the bit I''ve highlighted, and you''ll see just how ridiculous that is. Obviously you cannot deny that factually it''s true (at a superficial level) but I''m sorry, to be a PL manager you need to have your tactics work well MOST OF THE TIME. [/quote]

There is nothing wrong with that statement.  Its a statement with no other inference behind it other than what was the case. It worked sometimes, but it didn''t work often enough.  You have added your own meaning to it.   

[/quote]I haven''t ''added '' any meaning to it. I agreed that at prima facie it''s true , but blindingly obvious for a team who''s just been relegated. However you are implying something more than that, and my only reaction was to inquire as to, as far as you were concerned, why is this statement so clear now, but wasn''t when you were backing Hughton less than six months ago ? What has changed over that period for your attitude be so fundamentally different ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]Yes - and weren''t we all.   I''m not going to say much about it anymore because I get shouted down, but when the tactics worked, they worked well - its just that they didn''t work well enough, often enough.   [/quote]Well, Lake, just read the bit I''ve highlighted, and you''ll see just how ridiculous that is. Obviously you cannot deny that factually it''s true (at a superficial level) but I''m sorry, to be a PL manager you need to have your tactics work well MOST OF THE TIME. [/quote]There is nothing wrong with that statement.  Its a statement with no other inference behind it other than what was the case. It worked sometimes, but it didn''t work often enough.  You have added your own meaning to it.    [/quote]I haven''t ''added '' any meaning to it. I agreed that at prima facie it''s true , but blindingly obvious for a team who''s just been relegated. However you are implying something more than that, and my only reaction was to inquire as to, as far as you were concerned, why is this statement so clear now, but wasn''t when you were backing Hughton less than six months ago ? What has changed over that period for your attitude be so fundamentally different ?[/quote]

With respect - and I''m not going to get into a long drawn out argument over this - you took my statement - you wouldn''t take it at face value - and added some implication that just isn''t there.   Obvious it may be the statement may be, but there was no added implication or meaning there.  If you want to start up old arguments again, you''re looking in the wrong place.