Sign in to follow this  
#

I doubt we'll sign Rhodes.

Why?

Because City will choose the cheap, prudent way (especially after RVW)................and fail.

Mind you, if by some spooky miracle we keep hold of Hooper we may just get away with it.

But my point is that with Rhodes here it would be damn near certain .......and pis5 of Ip5wich fans at the same time.[:D]

Absolutely no point signing Rhodes whilst Hooper is at the club - neither of these guys do much work outside the box and it would be foolish to try and play them together.

If Hooper is sold then there is an arguement for brining in someone like Rhodes, but I think Norwich could quite happily lose anyone of their current strikers and no see a massive ill effect on the strength of the first team - I personally believe Grabban/Hooper/RvW could all be equally successful in scoring in the Championship if the team is set up correctly.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]I hope we don''t if its 9 or 10 million. Would rather go with what we already have.[/quote]

Then we will fail.[:(]

All roads don''t lead to Rhodes - neither do repeated threads on the subject.   There is more to a team than one marquee signing. Better to have a strong team throughout than one £10 m striker.  Anyhow, he should move to the premiership as his next step - just moving to a championship club shows precious little ambition. 

It shouldn''t be all about a striker(s) anyway, we''ll need plenty of goals from midfield to go straight back up. People like Howson, Bennett, Redmond etc need to be knocking on the door of double figures.

I agree that we''ve got enough at the moment but if Hooper goes, Rhodes should be paramount or at least Deeney. If I were a premiership club after some goals though, i''d be all over Rhodes like a rash. Yes I know he''s never played in the premiership but so bloomin'' what. He''s excelled for the last 5 seasons now and he''s ready to be tested at premiership level. I honestly don''t get why he''s not a premiership player yet.

[quote user="lake district canary"]All roads don''t lead to Rhodes - neither do repeated threads on the subject.   There is more to a team than one marquee signing. Better to have a strong team throughout than one £10 m striker.  Anyhow, he should move to the premiership as his next step - just moving to a championship club shows precious little ambition. 

[/quote]

I disagree ldc, City do need a marquee signing, it would be a signal of intent and a clear message to the rest of the league i.e.. ..........be afraid, be very afraid!

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]All roads don''t lead to Rhodes - neither do repeated threads on the subject.   There is more to a team than one marquee signing. Better to have a strong team throughout than one £10 m striker.  Anyhow, he should move to the premiership as his next step - just moving to a championship club shows precious little ambition. 

[/quote]

I disagree ldc, City do need a marquee signing, it would be a signal of intent and a clear message to the rest of the league i.e.. ..........be afraid, be very afraid!

[/quote]

Not many teams were afraid of Blackburn when they spend £8m on Rhodes after relegation. More important to bring in players to help address the leaky (at times, still managed 12 clean sheets) defence and the main problen, lack of creativity. Norwich have plenty of strikers, who are more than good enough for the Championship - adding another, especially considering his massive wages at Blackburn, would be a poor use of limited funds.

If Norwich have £10m to spend, I''d much rather they spent part of it on Jamaal Lascelles and really address an area that needs improvement.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But the message is ''''hey look at us, we''ve got money, we can sign big names". It could backfire – QPR had a very expensive squad and didn''t do it justice on the pitch, and would''ve been on the verge of bankruptcy had they not have won the playoffs. The biggest message we can send to the rest of the league is winning games by playing attacking yet balanced football. With the combined attacking talents of RVW, Hooper, Grabban, Lafferty, Loza, Redmond, Pilkington, Bennett, Murphy and Hoolahan (or similar replacements for any who leave) we should have more than enough to challenge if we play to our strengths. If Hooper does leave then we should bring in another striker to replace him, but £10m-odd on Rhodes would be an unnecessary gamble IMO.

Good.

We don''t need him. Would be a huge waste of money just to try and look flash. Like Fulham. Hilariously expensive transfer makes them look desperate.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Wiz"]City do need a marquee signing......[/quote]http://www.carronmarquees.co.uk/new-images/wedding-marquee-hampshire.jpg[/quote]

Is that your back garden or your care home''s back garden?  [A][/quote]Care home obviously.....and I can''t stand cheeky kids. [;)]

Rhodes is a pure penalty-box striker. If he isn''t scoring, he isn''t contributing. He has to rely on clever movement as he is also not particularly athletic and is not fast enough to outrun a defender nor strong enough to hold one off.  He can''t drop deep and link up the play, nor is he a particularly accurate passer. When you factor in that Blackburn will want more than 8 million for him (and that he is supposedly on Premier league wages) is he really worth it? So far, Adams has signed (and been heavily linked to) strikers that posses extraordinary physical attributes (Grabban and Wilson are both very fast, Lafferty is very tall and broad), is there really any indication that he even likes pure poachers like Rhodes? 
Anyway, poachers are a dying breed at the top level of football. How many pure poachers are left in the Premier League now? Almost all strikers are either athletically or technically talented as well as goal-scorers. More disciplined and better coached defenders means that you don''t get the mistakes that poachers thrive on anymore.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Why?

Because City will choose the cheap, prudent way (especially after RVW)................and fail.

Mind you, if by some spooky miracle we keep hold of Hooper we may just get away with it.

But my point is that with Rhodes here it would be damn near certain .......and pis5 of Ip5wich fans at the same time.[:D]

[/quote]What is the "it" which would be "damn near certain"?This post makes no sense.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]More disciplined and better coached defenders means that you don''t get the mistakes that poachers thrive on anymore.[/quote]Someone should inform our defence about that

[quote user="A Gay Schoolboy"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]More disciplined and better coached defenders means that you don''t get the mistakes that poachers thrive on anymore.[/quote]Someone should inform our defence about that[/quote]
I said ''better coached'' didn''t I?
[:D]

IMO there is no possibility of us spending £10 million to sign Rhodes.

[quote user="ricardo"]IMO there is no possibility of us spending £10 million to sign Rhodes.[/quote]I would rather keep Hooper and spend some of our money elsewhere.

Why all this talk of getting rid of hooper and thinking that he might go?

The fact is that we need him in our strike force and there is no point in selling him for the money we are likely to get for him

if hooper leaves we still have 2 20+ proven goal scorers at this level on the books

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 6:02 PM:

Anyway, poachers are a dying breed at the top level of football. How many pure poachers are left in the Premier League now? Almost all strikers are either athletically or technically talented as well as goal-scorers. More disciplined and better coached defenders means that you don''t get the mistakes that poachers thrive on anymore.

we are not at the top level of football anymore? dying breed?

Miroslav Klose anyone???????????