Sign in to follow this  
manbearpig

Rhodes linked again

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But it doesn''t work like that. If it did how do you explain the failure to remain in the prem of so many of our stars from the Lambert era and even lambert himself. Players and managers rarely perform the same for their various clubs throughout their careers. That''s why transfers and managerial appointments are always a bit of a lottery.[/quote]Nonsense; Nige. That''s EXACTLY the way it works . Anyone, whether it''s Snodgrass or any one else either does or doesn''t  have what it takes to perform in the Prem. It matters not one iota whether they are playing with Norwich or another team. Either they can cut it at the top level or they can''t. The example you cite is spurious. Yes, there are a number of our players who did well for PL in the Champ, but, for whatever reason have not been able to replicate that form in the Prem.For once, I agree with LDC. Snodgrass is one of those players for whom the jury is out on that question, and we shall see how he gets on with Hull. I suspect that he believes that he is not Prem material. On the other hand I believe he has the ability to do well at that level...if utilised and coached properly. That''s yet another charge Hughton stands guilty of in my eyes. But that''s another discussion for another day !

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]But it doesn''t work like that. If it did how do you explain the failure to remain in the prem of so many of our stars from the Lambert era and even lambert himself. Players and managers rarely perform the same for their various clubs throughout their careers. That''s why transfers and managerial appointments are always a bit of a lottery.[/quote]Nonsense; Nige. That''s EXACTLY the way it works . Anyone, whether it''s Snodgrass or any one else either does or doesn''t  have what it takes to perform in the Prem. It matters not one iota whether they are playing with Norwich or another team. Either they can cut it at the top level or they can''t. The example you cite is spurious. Yes, there are a number of our players who did well for PL in the Champ, but, for whatever reason have not been able to replicate that form in the Prem.For once, I agree with LDC. Snodgrass is one of those players for whom the jury is out on that question, and we shall see how he gets on with Hull. I suspect that he believes that he is not Prem material. On the other hand I believe he has the ability to do well at that level...if utilised and coached properly. That''s yet another charge Hughton stands guilty of in my eyes. But that''s another discussion for another day ![/quote]

I always think of Graham Paddon and Ruel Fox when thinking of players who didn''t quite live up to their reputations when leaving Norwich.   Plenty of others left us and didn''t do so well, but these two went to more successful clubs (like it or not Hull are atm more successful) where they didn''t do so well.  Paddon used to score from fantastic free kicks at Norwich but I don''t recall a single one at West Ham.  Fox just tried too hard.   Snodgrass imo will frustrate as well as excite all his career - it is just a question of whether the excitement is paramount, or the frustration.

Rhodes................has missed the boat imo.  Should have been a premiership player by now, given his potential.   Wallowing with Blackburn was not the way forward for him to progress his career  imo.    He needs to bite the bullet and test himself in the premiership.  Personally, don''t want an unambitious player.

I would break the bank to sign him up, Adams want goals, he''ll get them .

And when we get promoted next year his price will seem cheap.

Fox did pretty well after he left us. Newcastle and Spurs fans would testify.

Rhodes is only 25 and has plenty of time left. I think if the rumours are true with Hooper wanting out and there being teams willing to give us £6m for him we should sell and get Rhodes in. Bite the bullet and pay £8m up front with £2m more upon promotion. Bburn are probably waiting for a premiership club to come in towards the end of the window.

Alll that aside, after seeing McCormack go for £11m today, i''m glad we got 2 strikers in early for a combined £6m as I can see an inflated market now.

[quote user="Wiz"]

I would break the bank to sign him up, Adams want goals, he''ll get them .

And when we get promoted next year his price will seem cheap.

[/quote]For once i totally agree with Wiz, get the Hooper monaey and invest in Rhodes

Nutty is in fact, spot on.When a club signs a player he has to ''fit'' and by that I mean to get the most out of them you need them to feel comfortable at the club, bed down and settle/like the area, find team mates that they bond with quickly and enjoy their surroundings. You also hope that their personality doesn''t clash too heavily with too many of the other players and coaching staff. Yes there is a degree of trying to work this out first but look at Grant Holt, he could walk into some changing rooms and his character be rejected by other experienced players (just a made up example).That''s before you get down to the team as a whole working well as a team. The manager setting up the team in the way to get the best out of it as a whole and that this works for and with the new signing. For example, there is no point Pulis signing a striker that is 5''4" if he is going to continue with the orbital bombardment approach . . . .There are so many factors behind a move for a player being a success. And the same goes for a manager. If we had, for example, appointed someone like Big Sam last January, would he have had the time and players at his disposal to get the team playing the way he likes to have a team play? Would the players like his approach to training? Would they like his character? Would they like the way he sets a team up to play?It''s not as simple as just applying yourself - much like changing jobs isn''t. I work in a role that see''s me sometimes go to other locations to for-fill the same job description - but you know what? It''s the same job but each location has it''s own ways of approaching things. Being laid back and relatively easy going I don''t normally have a problem with this as I see it as somewhat natural that different groups of people will chose a slightly different course based upon their own set of skills and abilities and opinions. However, I could see it being a problem if their approach was so different that I didn''t agree with it - I would probably ask not to go back their again.That''s life. The club/scouting network/coaching staff etc can do as much in depth research as they possibly can but they will never be 100% sure about someone until they are at the club.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Fox did pretty well after he left us. Newcastle and Spurs fans would testify. [/quote]

Fox did ok, but was never as good as he was at Norwich.   Liked at first at Newcastle, but didn''t make a big enough impact. Faded at Spurs and seemed to lose self-belief.   At Norwich he was pacy, consistent and accurate with his passing and crossing.  By the time he had finished at Spurs he was a shadow of the player he had been three years earlier.   

Perhaps now Leeds'' pockets are stuffed, they will bid for Rhodes....

[quote user="morty"]Perhaps now Leeds'' pockets are stuffed, they will bid for Rhodes....[/quote]

Possibly Morty but I have a feeling that they won''t spend half of that money on all of their transfer dealings this season. Getting rid of McDermott and appointing that Hockaday is a money saving exercise.

[quote user="Just Dan"][quote user="morty"]Perhaps now Leeds'' pockets are stuffed, they will bid for Rhodes....[/quote]

Possibly Morty but I have a feeling that they won''t spend half of that money on all of their transfer dealings this season. Getting rid of McDermott and appointing that Hockaday is a money saving exercise.[/quote]I could almost feel sorry for their fans.Almost....

[quote user="morty"]Perhaps now Leeds'' pockets are stuffed, they will bid for Rhodes....
[/quote]

No chance morty they won''t pay the wages, QPR however..........

[quote user="lharman7"]Nutty, you have just answered your own argument.[/quote]

How have I? My point is that in order to find out if people''s opinions on Snoddy were right we''d have to replay last season without him. What he subsequently does or doesn''t do with hull is of no consequence to last seasons views.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But it doesn''t work like that. If it did how do you explain the failure to remain in the prem of so many of our stars from the Lambert era and even lambert himself. Players and managers rarely perform the same for their various clubs throughout their careers. That''s why transfers and managerial appointments are always a bit of a lottery.[/quote]

Nutty, because with this statement you made here can just as well be taken as a double sided coin.

I totally agree with this statement but Ive also seen the flip side to it. Managers and players doing well/rubbish at the next club they move to.

That''s where you are hearing the ''time will tell'' comments.

Snodgrass may do well but has an equal chance to fail. It is always about the right fit and balance for said player and club.

Time will tell on Snodgrass. IMO he wasn''t a good fit for our club with Hughton playing him how he did.

Just to point out, it''s funny that posters mention Snodgrass'' season before last and how well he did but yet didn''t win POTS. Then he had to rely on other team members failures to win POTS last season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We would have a better team around Rhodes though[/quote]

Huzzah!

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We would have a better team around Rhodes though[/quote]

Huzzah![/quote]

I''m getting fed up with seeing his name.   He will be no better than what we''ve got already imo.  A rounded team is better than having one overpriced over hyped player who seemingly doesn''t have the belief to go to a premiership club - which he could have done instead of going to Blackburn.  He is a success in the championship - so why would he not want to go to a premiership club to develop his career?   Something not quite right there, whether its a lack of belief or ambition.   As it stands we have a plentiful strike force and if we lose any of them, we could strengthen without spending the ridiculous amount being suggested. 

Forget him!  [:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Wiz"]

Huzzah![/quote]

I''m getting fed up with seeing his name.   He will be no better than what we''ve got already imo.  A rounded team is better than having one overpriced over hyped player who seemingly doesn''t have the belief to go to a premiership club - which he could have done instead of going to Blackburn.  He is a success in the championship - so why would he not want to go to a premiership club to develop his career?   Something not quite right there, whether its a lack of belief or ambition.   As it stands we have a plentiful strike force and if we lose any of them, we could strengthen without spending the ridiculous amount being suggested. 

Forget him!  [:D]

I''d rather not ldc...if its ok with you.

[/quote]

The only way I can see this happening, or would want it to happen, would be that we basically reach an agreement with West Ham that yes we will sell you Hooper (IF he does indeed want to leave us) but only if you match the price that Blackburn want for Rhodes and the deal is contingent on both transfers happening.

I think Hooper and Rhodes are of equal quality and as likely to succeed in the championship, so we would be swapping like for like at no cost and with the added advantage of losing a player who doesnt want to be here but gaining one who has chosen to join us.

Simple ;)

Well lets wait and see how much ambition this club has because all we are hearing is about our top players being linked to moves and very little on the in coming front .Still waiting for the first inspiring signing of the summer and if Adams sells Hooper now we will be right up 5hit creek without a paddle .

Yep, just signed a two year extension. That''s the end of that rumour then.

Clearly a lack of ambition from Norwich. We should have been booting down their door to get hold of him.

[quote user="Herman "]Clearly a lack of ambition from Norwich. We should have been booting down their door to get hold of him.[/quote]

The other man''s grass is always greener.........anyway if RVW takes his thumb out of the dyke, or whatever the Dutch equivalent of  "pulling your finger out" is, then we won''t need him.

Why?

What is it about Rhodes?

All the rich Premiership clubs have looked, and looked, and looked but none of them have put in a bid.

There were plenty of other strikers being bought and sold for the same price that he is being quoted as being worth, but still no takers.

We have been told on here many times about the poor quality of Scottish football. What has happened to his international career? Surely he should have been the first name on the team sheet.

What am I missing?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]Clearly a lack of ambition from Norwich. We should have been booting down their door to get hold of him.[/quote]

The other man''s grass is always greener.........anyway if RVW takes his thumb out of the dyke, or whatever the Dutch equivalent of  "pulling your finger out" is, then we won''t need him.

[/quote]

Trek je vinger uit.  According to google.[:D]

I am more interested in hearing some gossip about defenders and midfielders. Unless we lose Hooper/RVW I think we should be ok up front.