Sign in to follow this  
manbearpig

Rhodes linked again

A few rumours on twitter ( one from James Nursey ) that we had a £8million bid rejected for Rhodes! Goes on to say Blackburn want £10+ million due to Huddersfield having a 20% sell on clause! Now I''m not saying this is true but with speculation of Hooper going to QPR there could be something in it?! My main point is who would you prefere to have? I''d rather have Rhodes the kid is a natural finisher and I think him and grabban would work better together!

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]If we sell Hooper and cannot get Rhodes in then our strikers will be looking as weak as they ever have . Can anybody really see Grabban and Lafferty firing us to the promised land ? no not a hope .[/quote]

Can anyone ever see a positive post from this multi named person? No? Neither can I.

Personally am fed up with hearing about Rhodes - in the same way I got fed up with the prolonged saga of the Snodgrass transfer from Leeds. By the time we got Snodgrass, I didn''t want him - and he wasn''t as good as everyone hoped.  Same with Rhodes - if he was to come here he would have been here long before now.   Not worth the wait or the money imo.

I''ll take it with a pinch of salt for now, but I do think there is something in our interest here with Joe Royle involved. That said seems strange if we are keen to sign Lafferty as well?

Rather Rhodes than Hooper especially if he does want out then let him go and keep RVW who seems keen to try a prove a point, on a side note from that people who say he''s not strong enough for the Championship maybe so but his movement I feel is good and you don''t always have to be build like a brick s**t house if your a step ahead -sure people will disagree but its all about opinions!

I''d be sick if we paid £10,000,000 for him. An enormous amount of money for someone that''s only ever played in the Championship and doesn''t start for Scotland.

very cheap if his goals takes us back to the prem and his goal record is very good, got no confidence in the other two we have required, hope i am wrong.

Definitely a step up on Hooper......Standard on-line has the rumour that QPR are coming back in for Hoops so this would be perfect

Eadie''s Left, Hucks''s Right, Iwans Heed!!! wrote the following post at 07/07/2014 12:34 PM:

"That said seems strange if we are keen to sign Lafferty as well?"

It may have escaped your notice but....

To me, this rumour makes no sense unless RvW or Hooper are about to leave - especially with the bid for Wilson factored in.

Were Norwich hoping to sign both Wilson and Rhodes? To further increase the number of forwards to 8 (eight)? You can''t imagine the club thinking ''oh, we didn''t sign Wilson so let''s sign Rhodes instead - for around triple the price''.

Personally, this sounds more like Rhodes looking to get a new deal, or a move away from the club. Blackburn aren''t looking in a good position to make a push for promotion and the club is running out of money fast - signing Chris Brown and Luke Varney shows where they are in terms of transfers. Rhodes needs to capitalise while he in on the back of two excellents seasons rather than risk going through a dry spell and his earning potential falling through the floor.

Rhodes'' link to Royle make Norwich an obvious potential buyer  - coupled with a miss firing strike force and Adams constantly talking about more fire power. Whether there is actually any interest is hard to know, but Nursey doesn''t have a great track record with Norwich and doesn''t seem too worries about churning out false rumours.

Would we be able to afford Rhodes'' wages, let alone a £10m fee?

From the Huddersfield Examiner article:

"It’s claimed the 24-year-old has requested a pay rise after an £8m bid from Norwich was rejected."

He must be one of the championship''s highest earners, on over £20k a week - and if he''s asking for more that''s probably around £30k a week. Would Hooper even be on that much?

Seems like too big a gamble.

Oh, and if Rhodes is so good, why aren''t QPR trying to sign him instead of Hooper, who a lot of city fans on these boards think is a bad player?

I think its quite clear Hooper will be off , the front page of the Pink Un seems to be gearing everybody up to that way of thinking and the QPR rumours have started too , then if we ship RVW out we really would be left with precious little up top .

[quote user="MancCanary"]Would we be able to afford Rhodes'' wages, let alone a £10m fee? From the Huddersfield Examiner article: "It’s claimed the 24-year-old has requested a pay rise after an £8m bid from Norwich was rejected." He must be one of the championship''s highest earners, on over £20k a week - and if he''s asking for more that''s probably around £30k a week. Would Hooper even be on that much? Seems like too big a gamble. Oh, and if Rhodes is so good, why aren''t QPR trying to sign him instead of Hooper, who a lot of city fans on these boards think is a bad player?[/quote]

You''re asking us to make a rational argument for what goes on in Harry Redknapp''s mind? Maybe it''s because he thinks Hooper is a ''top top'' player and Rhodes is just ''triffic''.

£8million plus Becchio?As for Hooper to QPR - Harry knows him doesn''t he? That seems to make a difference in some cases.

both hooper and rhodes are proven at this level and I am far from convinced that either is any better than the other.    As such why pay agents fees to end up with the same quality?

Unless hoops wants to leave

TCCANARY - haha, true!

Seriously though - why aren''t any Premiership clubs getting linked with McCormack or Rhodes?

chicken - you mean Harry knows him personally, or knows a bit more about him as a player? He''s never managed him has he?

MancCanary - you are right, for some reason I thought Harry had managed him at some point, wrong there though.Must be purely down to having gone for him last summer and knows/has dealt with the agent etc before.

I''d rather we persevere with RVW as our main striker than Hooper or Rhodes.

Rhodes has absolutely nothing to his game bar finishing, he played in an exciting, attacking team last year and only scored 5 more goals in a whole season than Becchio managed in half that for a poorer team in his last season at that level. If we want a pure finisher as an option, keep Becchio and save £££''s...lots and lots and lots of £££''s

I''m also not convinced Hooper is anymore than an average Championship striker that has had one great season at Scunthorpe and a some mediocre ones up in Scotland, nothing really to his game except finishing either and he fluffed way more and way clearer open goals than RVW got last year.

RVW aside from being one of the unlikest players I''ve ever seen at least pulls defenders all over the place for the benefit of his team mates, has a brilliant work rate and appears the most committed striker we have. Foreign signings take a while to settle in, persevere with him next year next to dynamic, well rounded players like Lafferty and Grabban next year and he will get us at least 20 goals

But please City, don''t spunk 10 million on such a limited player like Rhodes!!

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]If we sell Hooper and cannot get Rhodes in then our strikers will be looking as weak as they ever have . Can anybody really see Grabban and Lafferty firing us to the promised land ? no not a hope .[/quote]

You mean if we keep the garbage that is Hooper, our strikers will look as weak as ever.

[quote user="MancCanary"]TCCANARY - haha, true!

Seriously though - why aren''t any Premiership clubs getting linked with McCormack or Rhodes?[/quote]

Because they think that they are likely to get better value for money from abroad, in terms of both transfer fee and wages. They also want to see some sort of proof of ability with regards to the league that they are playing in.

What many people are crying out for us to produce better coaches and better youth footballers through our system. I think we need to produce better scouts. None of the top clubs (possibly with the exception of Arsenal), or our national team for that matter, can spot talent unless they are playing in either a top European league or for a lesser premiership club (see Liverpool with Lallana and Man Utd with Shaw).

I get the point that Hooper is of equal ability to Rhodes but I think i''d rather a more physical striker like Rhodes who would fit better next to RvW and co.

I''m surprised that Rhodes and Ross haven''t been linked to the premiership to be honest especially Rhodes who is still young and has proven him self for the last few years now. He is very much of the Holt/ Lambert mould and he''d be a roaring success in the top flight IMHO.

Its simple really. Prem clubs don''t rate McCormack or Rhodes (or Hooper or RvW for that matter) particularly at the quoted prices......which are roughly the same as Swansea are reportedly touting Michu at.

Bigfish - you''re missing the wages part out. Michu will be on big wages and therefore be a much more expensive product. He''s also (while undoubtedly potentially a quality player) out of form and injury prone at the moment. Not lived up to his first season hype.

Rhodes is fresh and raring to go for a chance at that level and younger than Michu and probably not even asking for half the wages Michu would.

Having gone for the cheap option regarding the manager there''s no reason why the board shouldn''t be putting their hands in their pockets for a decent striker!!!

We definitely need more strike wise as at the moment we are looking like a team that''s happy to settle in the Championship. We don''t want to be making the same mistakes up front as last season.

Darth Catbeard wrote the following post at 07/07/2014 3:43 PM:

I''d rather we persevere with RVW as our main striker than Hooper or Rhodes.

You want us to end up in League 1 then

Please tell me one game where Wolf played well ?

There were plenty Newton, but I''m not going to waste time listing them to a WUM.

I hope both Hooper and RvW stay, but having brought two strikers in, we could manage if one left, and then strengthen the squad elsewhere.