Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

Which squad is better - this year's, or the 2010/11 squad?

Broadstairs -

Agreed, but I guess we''re not a valid comparison with QPR are we really? They could afford to chuck money at the problem and we can''t. But they still failed in the premiership, and just bought their way back up again.

Blackburn also as you point out are not entirely comparable to us due to the barmy owners.

But I still think my initial point is valid - Good management and players that bust a gut for the coaches, and everything that breeds, is more important than spending big on a couple of players.

Perhaps the best, most relevant example is US, last year!

"Good management and players that bust a gut for the coaches, and everything that breeds, is more important than spending big on a couple of players."

I completely agree with this, as City''s best years have been those in which the players have been motivated to achieve synergy above their individual attributes. Significantly, that has most often happened under managers with relatively little experience: Brown, Stringer, Walker and even Lambert. Let''s hope we get that again with Adams!

As last season shows, difficult to judge a squad on paper.

Last season we lacked (in order of importance): 1. A leader on the pitch. 2. A midfielder who who could create chances. 3. A goalscorer. We had all of those in 2010: Holty to lead, Wes (in his prime) to create chances, and Holty to put the chances away. This Summer we have (possibly) addressed point 3 (the goalscorer). Possibly not. We''re still short of a leader on the pitch and a creative midfielder. So, no, sadly 2010 was much stronger.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 3:35 PM:

Its a tough one and an answer towards the end of Aug once the player movement is done may be the only time for an answer. Currently

Keeper - no change

Full backs - Better - due to olsson

Centre back - mmm, Assuming seb has gone, I would say the 11 team was a better champs unit, experienced and firm, Turners partner will be the weak link - seb and turner and its a middle thats as safe as houses.

Midfield - wes and surman still here, but 3 years older. Little in it, but probably go for 2011 as being a bit more creative.

Strikers - unknown, can I see this squads strikers scoring 50+ goals? Close again

turners partner will be the weak link? I think that player will be ryan Bennett maybe even partnering our new captain Russell martin. Bennett is the best centre back at the club for me. A real quality prospect. Its about time this lad was given a run of games.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 08/07/2014 3:35 PM:

" Its a tough one and an answer towards the end of Aug once the player movement is done may be the only time for an answer. Currently

Keeper - no change

Full backs - Better - due to olsson

Centre back - mmm, Assuming seb has gone, I would say the 11 team was a better champs unit, experienced and firm, Turners partner will be the weak link - seb and turner and its a middle thats as safe as houses.

Midfield - wes and surman still here, but 3 years older. Little in it, but probably go for 2011 as being a bit more creative.

Strikers - unknown, can I see this squads strikers scoring 50+ goals? Close again"

turners partner will be the weak link? I think that player will be ryan Bennett maybe even partnering our new captain Russell martin. Bennett is the best centre back at the club for me. A real quality prospect. Its about time this lad was given a run of games.[/quote]

It looks almost certain that Martin is going to adopt that central defence/captain role - I can see no other reason why he would be given the no 5 shirt.   That said, I agree with you that Ryan Bennett needs to be given a run in the game and try and cement a place in the team.    If not,  Martin/Turner would be good too imo.  The three of them make a good core of the defence if Bassong is leaving.  Just need to strengthen the squad with one or two extra defenders in case of injury.