Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Luiz/ Bassong

I think the two are pretty similar in style. Both on their day and indeed most days are real quality ball playing centre backs. Then theres the bad days...

At their worst, they are both utterly shocking. They both have poor positional sense and try stupid things on the ball.

They also both had absolute nightmares when handed the captaincy.

In real life, they both seem like likable, jovial chaps who you''d trust to organise you a good stag doo and give you a good wedding speech but you wouldn''t trust them to remember the ring.

It''s one of them real enigmas really. Both are frustratingly talented players, a bit like Pietersen in the cricket. You can''t live with them, you can''t live without them.

How does a guy like Luiz go from smashing 40 yard free kicks in and playing immense to such an abject performance last night? I''d love to see what a mental health expert had to say. As for Bassong, on his day (0-0 versus Man City, 1-0 vs Spurs) he is one of the best defenders in the premiership (no joke) but then there is Stoke at home and the other Man City game.

I think players like these need some players with good mental strength around them or they fall to bits. Luiz had Terry at Chelsea and Silva for Brazil. Without them, he struggles.

All this talk of traditional CB''s like Terry and Tony Adams being a dying art, but perhaps sometimes there is still a role for them. I remember Leon Barnett for us with his hoofs up field and they used to frustrate the crowd but far better we have him do that than try cruyff turn the striker under pressure and mess up!

As a manager, do you take the rough with the smooth and persist with a player like this? Do you move him to DM so there are people behind to cover the mistakes and lapses in concentration or do you just ditch him for the probably less talented but more aware alternative?

I''m a fan of Bassong but I think the image of him as a ball playing defender is something of a myth.

For me his strength is reading dangerous situations and killing them off without too much fuss - something he has shown himself to be very good at.

Bassong really wasn''t as bad as people made out this season. Statistically we were better with him in the side.

[quote user="splutcho"]Bassong really wasn''t as bad as people made out this season. Statistically we were better with him in the side.[/quote]

He really wasn''t. But once he took that armband and didn''t appear to be a great leader it made him an easy target for our struggles. He didn''t appoint himself captain.

Bit of a scapegoat. Others got off quite lightly.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Bassong like luiz, often tries to do too much. If Bassong would limit his game a little more he''d be a very good player. But he wants to do more than he is capable of, which results in mistakes. Often costly ones.[/quote]

Furthermore Bassong isn''t a ball playing defender. His passing and first touch are not good enough for this. However he often tries to be this player..... But gets caught in possession as he is easily pressed.

His strengths are, his muscular strength and his ability to read the game well. Limit himself and he wouldn''t make half the mistakes and we wouldn''t be having this conversation.

Although I think he will be a beast this season for us if he stays, he certainly didn''t do himself any favours pi$$ing around with the ball at the back before kicking it back to the goalkeeper. One game in particular in the first half he just stopped and went in cirlcles every time.

I think you''ve answered your own question, Jimmy. The fundamental difference between the two is that Luiz seems to alternate...a couple of really excellent games, then a couple of rubbish. In Bassong''s case it''s more of a ''by the season'' regularity. In his first season here he was excellent. You could''ve counted the bad games he had on the fingers of one hand. But last season...precisely the opposite. And he seems to have done that trick before at other clubs.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I think you''ve answered your own question, Jimmy.

The fundamental difference between the two is that Luiz seems to alternate...a couple of really excellent games, then a couple of rubbish. In Bassong''s case it''s more of a ''by the season'' regularity. In his first season here he was excellent. You could''ve counted the bad games he had on the fingers of one hand. But last season...precisely the opposite. And he seems to have done that trick before at other clubs.
[/quote]

I was warned about him from Spurs friends, but after the first season I told them how wrong they were. [:$]

Well he''s having a lovely bday meal out with the rest of the team. I wonder if he was going, if he''d have gone already. He might be a revalation at championship level.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="splutcho"]Bassong really wasn''t as bad as people made out this season. Statistically we were better with him in the side.[/quote]

He really wasn''t. But once he took that armband and didn''t appear to be a great leader it made him an easy target for our struggles. He didn''t appoint himself captain.

[/quote]

Totally disagree with both these statements. There was a clear reason he was made a scapegoat.

Im not a fan of Bassong and wouldn''t mind one bit if he left. He''s a Hughton''s man and was a total disgrace last season. He also went missing in a few crucial games when we needed him most and as captain thats a huge no.

Ryan Bennett would flourish if Bassong left.

Hang on

Are you really trying to say bassong is the same player as Luiz?

Brilliant £50 million pounds to us then

Stupid comparsion who would you rather have seriously people

*facepalm* come on alartz, if you actually read my OP and have a grain of intelligence you will see i was merely saying they share some similar traits. Of course David Luiz is the better player as he performs at a higher level.

Of course you can compare players at different levels that share similar traits. For instance, when we nickname Hoolahan Wessi it isn''t because he''s as good as Messi but it''s because he is short, operates in a similar spot to Messi and his main strength like Messi is dribbling and close control.

I have basically compared their indiscipline and not very good captaincy but how usually they are both fantastic at their level. I think it''s a fair enough comparison.

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] Totally disagree with both these statements. There was a clear reason he was made a scapegoat. Im not a fan of Bassong and wouldn''t mind one bit if he left. He''s a Hughton''s man and was a total disgrace last season. He also went missing in a few crucial games when we needed him most and as captain thats a huge no. Ryan Bennett would flourish if Bassong left.[/quote]

Nah, he simply wasn''t that bad. He was involved in several good defensive displays, didn''t he play in like 11 or 12 clean sheets?

To say he was a "total disgrace" is really, really wide of the mark.

Why do you think Bennett hasn''t been getting in the team? It''s because Bassong is better. It''s not like Bennett has been unfairly denied his place in the team, he''s had to play second or third fiddle to better defenders. Bassong being one of them.

And again, you''re holding his performances as captain against him. He didn''t appoint himself captain. If he''s not a great leader it''s not his fault he was captain.

The armband has clearly changed the way people view his performances as a player.

lharman7 wrote:

GJP wrote:

splutcho wrote:

Bassong really wasn''t as bad as people made out this season. Statistically we were better with him in the side.

Totally disagree with both these statements. There was a clear reason he was made a scapegoat. Im not a fan of Bassong and wouldn''t mind one bit if he left. He''s a Hughton''s man and was a total disgrace last season. He also went missing in a few crucial games when we needed him most and as captain thats a huge no. Ryan Bennett would flourish if Bassong left.

Nah, he simply wasn''t that bad. He was involved in several good defensive displays, didn''t he play in like 11 or 12 clean sheets?

To say he was a "total disgrace" is really, really wide of the mark.

Why do you think Bennett hasn''t been getting in the team? It''s because Bassong is better. It''s not like Bennett has been unfairly denied his place in the team, he''s had to play second or third fiddle to better defenders. Bassong being one of them.

And again, you''re holding his performances as captain against him. He didn''t appoint himself captain. If he''s not a great leader it''s not his fault he was captain.

The armband has clearly changed the way people view his performances as a player.

And so it should change peoples views on players performances with the arm band on.

A lot on here are calling for players who want to play for the shirt and its no different scenario with a player who wears the arm band.

Whether Bassong wanted it or not has nothing to do with it. Its a privilege to get it and he had a duty to perform.

Just a question, how many man of the match performances did Bassong get last season?

Those games you are on about its my opinion that Bennett could have done at least an equal job there.

Also, where did Bassong rate on the POTS count?

[quote user="lharman7"] Also, where did Bassong rate on the POTS count?[/quote]

No idea but he did win it the year before.

And that''ll be one more POTS trophy than Bennett will ever win for Norwich.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="lharman7"] Also, where did Bassong rate on the POTS count?[/quote]

No idea but he did win it the year before.

And that''ll be one more POTS trophy than Bennett will ever win for Norwich.

[/quote]

Wow, any chance I could use your crystal ball for some lottery numbers!

no bassong in startin line up because I dont think he will be here - there is clearly a major clash and adams does not want him for whatever reason.     However he is comfortable our best cb,  not flawless but you have to recall ALL our cbs were dropped at some stage last season,  and his goals conceeded per game and points won per appearance was better than the alternatives left.

All our players had poor games last season,  seb no different to that, some shockingly,   but when we were defending well he was the rock it was founded on.  his form dipped - it happens,   partly due to the captaincy imo.    He has been scapegoated - and he will move on

Zipper,

There are two sides to any performance, ability and attitude, and like you I believe he has the ability, I suspect NA does too, so this therefore leaves attitude as the issue. I think NA wants a certain attitude within the team and selects those who at least want to work with him to achieve it.

"ZippersLeftFoot"

no bassong in startin line up because I dont think he will be here

Lets hope so hey!

[quote user="lharman7"]Not many people picking Bassong for there starting 11 on another thread GJP! Wonder why![/quote]

Hopefully because most people just assume Bassong will be moving on. I picked him because I wanted to pick the best centrebacks available to us.

Bassong & Ryan Bennett are hopeless !

Our defence was one of the weakest in the division last season - goals conceded confirmed this.

Individual errors by these two cost us our place in the division.

Personally I want to see the back of both players. I have a horrible feeling we''re be stuck with this Bennett for a long time to come - inflicting prolong misery to the club.

[quote user="Six Pack"]Bassong & Ryan Bennett are hopeless !

Our defence was one of the weakest in the division last season - goals conceded confirmed this.

Individual errors by these two cost us our place in the division.

Personally I want to see the back of both players. I have a horrible feeling we''re be stuck with this Bennett for a long time to come - inflicting prolong misery to the club.[/quote]I''m assuming that this posting is some sort of contrived joke Six Pack.If not....To suggest that individual mistakes by RB (and SB) ''cost us our place in the Prem '' is so laughable it doesn''t warrant comment.Bennett is one of the most promising young players we have. If he''s played in the right formation  behind a midfield that doesn''t continally give the ball away cheaply, he has the potential to be a real star in the Champs, and in the PL in future.