Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Holt/Chris Martin/Cody Macdonald/RVW

All good players. Without a doubt.  All with pedigree at a certain level.   Holt made his name in League 1, then the championship and then the prem.Chris Martin made his name in League 1, then the championship, then failed to look the grade in the Premiership.Cody Macdonald has made it in 1, but failed in the chamionship (or rather never got going)RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??), yet to make it in the championship or the premiership.

RVW has done it in what could be seen as a lesser league, but didn''t hack it for whatever reason in the premiership.  The championship is the middle ground  - and is ideal for him. Do well this season and he will be right back up there in demand and if we get promoted he will get another chance in the premiership.     I like the guy and thought he put in some performances full of heart and guts, despite the difficulties the team were having - and it was not just him that was not scoring goals.   Do badly in what will be an attacking game and he will be in the realm of being a Cody Macdonald - very good up to a lower league level.  Do well (20+ goals) and he will be in the Holt category.  RVW needs it and we need him.  

I''m pleased Cody is doing well again - I hope he gets the chance to have another crack in the championship.   Martin is doing well and should have another good season at Derby.  Holt....................I think he may end up at Carlisle, but if he is in the championship again, he will score plenty again. Apologies if you find this boring/repetitive/uninteresting, but our strike force over the years since 2009 has  imo been an interesting one. Morison I''ve not included as he was a bit different, never really cut it for very long anywhere, although not withoiut ability.  Jackson I liked, but was never prolific as a striker.  RVW though, for me could be the best of the lot if he finds his form and confidence. He has the ability - as proved in Portugal. He now has to do it here.

Exactly what point are you trying to make here LDC ? I''m afraid you lost me in the first paragraph.Virtually impossible to compare the four or five players to which you refer.And, btw, I suspect that Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, Porto, Boavista, Sporting Braga, Universidade Coimbra and several others might just be a bit peeved if you think they are on the same basic level, quality-wise as Walsall, Yeovil, Crawley Town , Fleetwood and Port Vale, woudn''t you ?!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Exactly what point are you trying to make here LDC ? I''m afraid you lost me in the first paragraph.Virtually impossible to compare the four or five players to which you refer.And, btw, I suspect that Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, Porto, Boavista, Sporting Braga, Universidade Coimbra and several others might just be a bit peeved if you think they are on the same basic level, quality-wise as Walsall, Yeovil, Crawley Town , Fleetwood and Port Vale, woudn''t you ?![/quote]

Sorry if I wasn''t clear.  Its about RVW and the level he is at.   Not apparently at Premiership level, but good in Portugal.  If he is not good in the championship, that suggests his level may be league 1.  That would arguably put the Potugese league at the same level............. but I am going on the premise that he will do well in the championship which may be a similar level to Portugal - but its an unknown quantity.   He is obviously good - but at what level is the key.  All strikers we have had have found their level. RVW still has to do that.

Portugal is not the same level as League One.

And RvW has done very well in Europe for Sporting and Utrect, neither big teams so thats pretty good achievement.

And you''re line ''All strikers we have had have found their level'' is just plain wrong before we signed Holt he''d ''found his level'' in League One. Two years later he was banging in the goals in the PL. Martin burst onto the scene in the Championship, then levelled out. Smashed League One then did a good job in the Championship before only getting a small handful of appearances in the PL whilst the team weren''t on form. Not his fault. Then went on to have his best season in Champ with Derby.

Its not about finding your level, its about a huge number of factors. The league is one of those, but club, team mates, tactics, manager, coaching, personality, family life, achievement etc etc all play a part.

RvW could almost definitely be a goal scorer in the PL in the right team.

[quote user="lake district canary"]All good players. Without a doubt.  All with pedigree at a certain level.   Holt made his name in League 1, then the championship and then the prem.Chris Martin made his name in League 1, then the championship, then failed to look the grade in the Premiership.Cody Macdonald has made it in 1, but failed in the chamionship (or rather never got going)RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??), yet to make it in the championship or the premiership.

RVW has done it in what could be seen as a lesser league, but didn''t hack it for whatever reason in the premiership.  The championship is the middle ground  - and is ideal for him. Do well this season and he will be right back up there in demand and if we get promoted he will get another chance in the premiership.     I like the guy and thought he put in some performances full of heart and guts, despite the difficulties the team were having - and it was not just him that was not scoring goals.   Do badly in what will be an attacking game and he will be in the realm of being a Cody Macdonald - very good up to a lower league level.  Do well (20+ goals) and he will be in the Holt category.  RVW needs it and we need him.  

I''m pleased Cody is doing well again - I hope he gets the chance to have another crack in the championship.   Martin is doing well and should have another good season at Derby.  Holt....................I think he may end up at Carlisle, but if he is in the championship again, he will score plenty again. Apologies if you find this boring/repetitive/uninteresting, but our strike force over the years since 2009 has  imo been an interesting one. Morison I''ve not included as he was a bit different, never really cut it for very long anywhere, although not withoiut ability.  Jackson I liked, but was never prolific as a striker.  RVW though, for me could be the best of the lot if he finds his form and confidence. He has the ability - as proved in Portugal. He now has to do it here.

[/quote]You wonder why your posts lack creditability and why you have become a laughing stock when you post crap like this?2 Portuguese teams got further in the Europa Cup then any Premier League side, Benifca saw off Spurs, Lyon and Juve before been beaten in the final. Porto got past Napoli, who beat Swansa and were knocked out by the winners, yet the Portuguese league is equivalent to League One!!

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="lake district canary"]All good players. Without a doubt.  All with pedigree at a certain level.   Holt made his name in League 1, then the championship and then the prem.Chris Martin made his name in League 1, then the championship, then failed to look the grade in the Premiership.Cody Macdonald has made it in 1, but failed in the chamionship (or rather never got going)RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??), yet to make it in the championship or the premiership.

[/quote]You wonder why your posts lack creditability and why you have become a laughing stock when you post crap like this?2 Portuguese teams got further in the Europa Cup then any Premier League side, Benifca saw off Spurs, Lyon and Juve before been beaten in the final. Porto got past Napoli, who beat Swansa and were knocked out by the winners, yet the Portuguese league is equivalent to League One!! [/quote]

Do you actually read a post properly, or do you just shout your mouth off without thinking?  The premise was that if  RVW can''t make it on the championship, then what is his level?  If he can''t do it in the prem - or the champuonship -  then you could say that some of his goals in Portugal were against defences similar to League 1.    Now forgive me if I am a laughing stock - actually I don''t much care - but your reaction and lack of understanding shows you up more than it does me.

For me RVW has to try and  prove himself at this level, or he - and the rest of football - will consider him and his success to date to have been in a league that is not competetive or up to the standard of the top two leagues in this country.  Now the top few teams may be good  in Portugal, but the rest..........we''ll lnow more this season if RVW stays.

[quote user="lake district canary"][?  The premise was that if  RVW can''t make it on the championship, then what is his level?  If he can''t do it in the prem - or the champuonship -  then you could say that some of his goals in Portugal were against defences similar to League 1.   

[/quote]Hang on a minute, Lake. You accuse me and a few others of misrepresenting and shooting our mouths off, but why on earth do you keep  harping on about RvW not making it in the Championship ? The season is 4 weeks off, and the poor guy has never kicked a Championship ball in anger. I cannot see any reason why you''d think he''ll fail at that level.Now, of course , it may well be that this whole argument is academic. If he or the club decide in the next 4 weeks that he should not be at Norwich, then we''ll never know.I still think that you are barking up the wrong tree suggesting that he was only hyped up because the standard in Portugal is Lge One.

[quote user="lappinitup"]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/yv2FZwNssmM/0.jpg[/quote]

Nothing to say as usual, Lapps?  Why am I surprised......You''d think that someone like yourself would have an interest in RVW and comparing him to other strikers we have had - and interested in how he might fare in the championship.  But apparently not...........but then maybe little cartoons are of more interest to you..........

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="lake district canary"]All good players. Without a doubt.  All with pedigree at a certain level.   Holt made his name in League 1, then the championship and then the prem.Chris Martin made his name in League 1, then the championship, then failed to look the grade in the Premiership.Cody Macdonald has made it in 1, but failed in the chamionship (or rather never got going)RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??), yet to make it in the championship or the premiership.

[/quote]You wonder why your posts lack creditability and why you have become a laughing stock when you post crap like this?2 Portuguese teams got further in the Europa Cup then any Premier League side, Benifca saw off Spurs, Lyon and Juve before been beaten in the final. Porto got past Napoli, who beat Swansa and were knocked out by the winners, yet the Portuguese league is equivalent to League One!! [/quote]

Do you actually read a post properly, or do you just shout your mouth off without thinking?  The premise was that if  RVW can''t make it on the championship, then what is his level?  If he can''t do it in the prem - or the champuonship -  then you could say that some of his goals in Portugal were against defences similar to League 1.    Now forgive me if I am a laughing stock - actually I don''t much care - but your reaction and lack of understanding shows you up more than it does me.

For me RVW has to try and  prove himself at this level, or he - and the rest of football - will consider him and his success to date to have been in a league that is not competetive or up to the standard of the top two leagues in this country.  Now the top few teams may be good  in Portugal, but the rest..........we''ll lnow more this season if RVW stays.

[/quote]I read exactly what you wrote "RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??)"This statement is ridiculous.It doesn''t work like that, you cant say RVW wasnt Premier League class, had Ronaldo, Pele, Baitsuta, Shearer or (insert here) played up front, they wouldn''t have fared any better in the system we played!! I''m confident had RVW had played for a number of other clubs, who played to his strengths, he''d have done well.

And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........

[quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]

I love the sexual tension between Morty and LDC

[quote user="Haven Canary"][quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]

I love the sexual tension between Morty and LDC[/quote]Turn you on?Each to their own...

[quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]There will be more than a few posters on here for whom the irony and hypocrisy of that gem is not lost.......

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]There will be more than a few posters on here for whom the irony and hypocrisy of that gem is not lost.......[/quote]Awwww, is poor Reggie feeling attention starved?[:(]

[quote user="CDMullins"]I read exactly what you wrote "RVW made it in Portugal (equiv League 1??)"This statement is ridiculous.It doesn''t work like that, you cant say RVW wasnt Premier League class, had Ronaldo, Pele, Baitsuta, Shearer or (insert here) played up front, they wouldn''t have fared any better in the system we played!! I''m confident had RVW had played for a number of other clubs, who played to his strengths, he''d have done well.[/quote]

So you''re still refusing to follow my argument and try and understand it. Fine.  I give up.  As for the rest of your post,  its the ultimate game of guesswork.   We didn''t score goals last season - end of - and regardless of what happened last season, the fact remains that RVW has to prove himself.   I think he''ll do well  - but if he doesn''t - and its not cut and dried that he will - it will question his pedigree - and it would shed a light on the overall quality of the Portugese League. 

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][?  The premise was that if  RVW can''t make it on the championship, then what is his level?  If he can''t do it in the prem - or the champuonship -  then you could say that some of his goals in Portugal were against defences similar to League 1.    [/quote]Hang on a minute, Lake. You accuse me and a few others of misrepresenting and shooting our mouths off, but why on earth do you keep  harping on about RvW not making it in the Championship ? The season is 4 weeks off, and the poor guy has never kicked a Championship ball in anger. I cannot see any reason why you''d think he''ll fail at that level.Now, of course , it may well be that this whole argument is academic. If he or the club decide in the next 4 weeks that he should not be at Norwich, then we''ll never know.I still think that you are barking up the wrong tree suggesting that he was only hyped up because the standard in Portugal is Lge One.[/quote]

I think the jury is out on him.   We know RVW is a good finisher - but some of his goals on youtube (all we''ve got to go on) are plainly against poor defences - so if he finds it hard this season, he will undoubtedly be considered less of a player. I don''t for one minute think he will fail and I think he will score plenty - but its like anything else - until he does it, we won''t know for sure.  

As for the Portugese league - the you tube clips clearly show some fairly inept defending and goalkeeping.  It is not too far fetched to suppose that apart from a few top clubs, the rest of the league is not up to much.   The Scottish League top division had for years relied on three or four clubs for quality and the rest also rans.............

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Do you actually read a post properly,

[/quote]

Welcome to the ever growing band of posters who do not read what poor old Lakey has actually written Chris. I would love £1 for every time I have seen that posted. It seems to be the standard retort when anybody dares to suggest he has got it wrong.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/sleepy-tired-boring_zps51b4eaa5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/sleepy-tired-boring_zps51b4eaa5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I''ve had a lovely week away in Ibiza. Come back, thought i''d take a little look and - yup - LDC is as boring, nonsensical and unintelligent as always.

Nevermind, ''ey.

[quote user="Haven Canary"][quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]

I love the sexual tension between Morty and LDC[/quote]

Naahh.....We''re like chalk and cheese. Morty is always fantasising about kn*bs and d(cks.Mine are more about and  boobs and chicks......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Haven Canary"][quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]

Naahh.....We''re like chalk and cheese. Morty is always fantasising about kn*bs and d(cks.Mine are more about and  boobs and chicks......

[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/google-why-the-real-name-policy-is-creating-a-very-boring-social-network-opinion--c0475d9533_zps815b671d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/google-why-the-real-name-policy-is-creating-a-very-boring-social-network-opinion--c0475d9533_zps815b671d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Haven Canary"][quote user="morty"]And the award for today, for negative attention being better than none at all, goes to.........[/quote]

[/quote] photo google-why-the-real-name-policy-is-creating-a-very-boring-social-network-opinion--c0475d9533_zps815b671d.jpg[/quote]

Aww....thanks, Morty, for the holiday snap.   Looks lovely there.   Did you make that twig sculpture all on your own?  It doesn''t really look like a kn*b or a d(ck -  or a bell-end - come to that, but good try anyway.....  

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/HowIFeelAroundBoringPeople-89360_zps09ef8f01.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/HowIFeelAroundBoringPeople-89360_zps09ef8f01.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="hogesar"]I''ve had a lovely week away in Ibiza. Come back, thought i''d take a little look and - yup - LDC is as boring, nonsensical and unintelligent as always.

Nevermind, ''ey.[/quote]Unfair, Hogesar. I''m his sternest critic, but he''s not unintelligent. I wonder if you mean unintelligible  ? Certainly on this thread he has been. It is far from his finest hour.After several rehashes and explanations/clarifications, I can kind of see the point he''s trying to make, though heaven knows why we needed to bring Holt, Cody and Chris Martin into the plot too ! I guess what he''s saying is that he came across some defences in Portugal who were, shall we say, not fit for purpose, and he''s wondering if even the Championship might be better than that. Having watched a few Portuguese games whilst working over there, I can assure him that it IS a lot better overall than Lge One, but would agree that RvW is going to have to perform at Champ level and score an appreciable number of goals if he''s to prove the doubters wrong.But, there again ,we knew that anyway........

[quote user="morty"][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/HowIFeelAroundBoringPeople-89360_zps09ef8f01.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/HowIFeelAroundBoringPeople-89360_zps09ef8f01.gif[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

HAAAAAA!  Now that is good!!