Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Interesting

Glenn Hoddle''s idea, just put forward on television, that the penalty shoot-out should take place after ninety minutes and before extra time is played out.

If a team scores one more penalty it will begin extra time with a one goal advantage. Hoddle feels that this would potentially take the tension out of extra time making for a more open finale and also take the pressure off the penalty takers.

Although penalties are widely considered too much of a lottery to decide World Cup matches, they do mean that the team with the best shot-makers has an advantage, the team with the best goalkeeper has an advantage and the team with the best collective composure does as well. Even so, the spotlight upon the players involved can be seen as somewhat unfair.

The idea of Hoddle''s does bear thinking about and the thought of never ever again having to feel for the agonised player whose miss has cost the game is pleasing, even though the English players in the pizza advert seemed to wear their ignominious moments as a badge of honour.    

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]

So you''re the person who watches the ITV coverage!

[/quote][:D]

It''s great.Until you remember that penalties were designed as a way of deciding a fixture that was less based on luck than flipping a coin.If you had the penalties before extra time, what happens if the teams a drawing at the end of extra time?Personally I think they should just get the captains to fight to exhaustion using nothing but wet fish - perhaps of their nations preference.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]

So you''re the person who watches the ITV coverage!

[/quote]

Ha.

I like the adverts ..... as long as they''re not for pizza.

So if they play the added 30 minutes after the penalty kicks and it''s a draw because Team A scored one more penalty but Team B scored in overtime, then what?

And if I was Team B, I''d be furious at not being the winner because the penalties came first.

Pretty sure this idea was put forward and binned when they went for the ''golden goal'' option that didn''t work out. Pens aren''t perhaps a great way of sorting a winner, but still the best we have, and you can''t do them before the event.

I personally reckon a ''crossbar challenge'' or similar would do the trick nicely.

at times the bbc coverage has been dire in this worldcup but.. you get a better picture on the bbc even in HD

"If you had the penalties before extra time, what happens if the teams a drawing at the end of extra time?"

Better ask Glenn that.

More penalties? Golden Goal? corner count? toss of a coin? fish fight? The more you think about it the more complicated it gets.

Not such a great idea after all. Explains why the rest of us were watching the beeb.

"Take the tension out of extra time making for a more open finale"Don''t think it will be open, more defending and time wasting by the penalty winners. 

[quote user="swindoncanary"]"Take the tension out of extra time making for a more open finale"Don''t think it will be open, more defending and time wasting by the penalty winners.  [/quote]

Maybe, but at least you would ensure that at least one team is attacking to try and get back in it.  At the moment extra time is too tight - and added to the fact that it seems that extra time just becomes almost certain if a game is 0-0 after about 70 minutes, so the tension creeps in too early.   Penalties would then be important and relevant to the match, but not the lottery they are atm. 

How about the 5 nominated penalty takers take the pre extra time penalties,

if after extra time the game score is still the same then it''s straight to sudden death for the non nominated takers.

This way we can still have the pizza adverts too?

and thats why Glenn Hoddle has been out of work for the best part of 15 years....

some people even wanted him as our manager.. dear god!

Penalties are a perfect way of settling it, both teams have had 120 minutes to prove they''re better than their opponent and not managed it, it''s just so simple and obvious?!

Think people like penises... I''M SO SORRY! I mean, people like CHANGE for the sake of penises... SORRY AGAIN! I mean for the sake of IT.

This idea was first suggested by the bloke who used to play Curly in Eastenders in the 80''s. He then went onto some football show on the radio and came up with this idea.

In the 1958 WC, play offs took place to determine who qualified out of the groups when level on points, England famously losing to Russia.

But of course, there were only 16 teams at the tournament and clubs didn''t rule their FA''s and TV was in its infancy.

I am not suggesting replays etc but surely these games can keep going until there is a goal scored.

Wouldn''t we rather have played on in the play off final of 2002?

[quote user="Google Bot"]Penalties are a perfect way of settling it, both teams have had 120 minutes to prove they''re better than their opponent and not managed it, it''s just so simple and obvious?!

Think people like penises... I''M SO SORRY! I mean, people like CHANGE for the sake of penises... SORRY AGAIN! I mean for the sake of IT.[/quote]

Norty, norty......

Whilst hard to agree with the suggestion itself, I am puzzled that anyone would be happy with the current situation, so Hoddle is right to at least make a suggestion for change.

It was clear in several games that some teams were "playing for penalties", notably the Swiss and I feel that''s why, other than in a couple of cases the knockout stage was actually not that great in terms of quality and exciting football.

The penalty shoot-out is no way to decide a winner in a top tournament and FIFA need to think harder about it, get some of the games experts and thinkers together and come up with a better solution.

Oh, wait a minute....it only took them something like 14 years to start using the magic spray since it was first invented....and how long to introduce goal line technology.

I actually think that even a free kick shoot out from a longer distance would be a better option, particularly if the opposition could use a wall, at least there is much more skill and technique required to score than a basic penalty.....you could mark out five different positions around the penalty are and take a kick from each, much more entertaining and even more magic spray required.

Talking of ex-player pundits, some years ago dear old Jimmy Hill suggested after extra time to base the decision of winner on who has accrued the least yellow cards during the 120 mins. It always sounded an interesting idea; one that might have drawbacks (eg what happens if both teams have the same number of cards ?), but it might just cut out the sort of things that we saw in the Colombia v Brazil game and any game that Honduras were involved in !

Refs can be counted on to be even-handed when issuing cards, can they? Argentina should have gotten a red when they got a yellow yesterday, and the first issued against Germany was a joke.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Refs can be counted on to be even-handed when issuing cards, can they? Argentina should have gotten a red when they got a yellow yesterday, and the first issued against Germany was a joke.[/quote]I know. I said that there are drawbacks . There are to any system. But not a reason to dismiss it out of hand.......