Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Leroy Fer

Fer was deployed in a central midfield berth alongside Alex Tettey and Hughton revealed he will use the rest of City’s pre-season schedule to decide where the versatile Fer can inflict the most damage on the Premier League.

“He is a physical presence but he also has a pass on him. I think in the short period of time that he was on he showed some of his passing range and he gives us real good option in that central midfield position,” he said.

“We’ll use pre-season to really determine where we see him. Yes, he can play that defensive role and he did under Steve McClaren fairly often (at FC Twente) but he is also one who likes to break from midfield. I’ll be using pre-season to determine that.

[quote user="Howson is now"]Fer was deployed in a central midfield berth alongside Alex Tettey and Hughton revealed he will use the rest of City’s pre-season schedule to decide where the versatile Fer can inflict the most damage on the Premier League.

“He is a physical presence but he also has a pass on him. I think in the short period of time that he was on he showed some of his passing range and he gives us real good option in that central midfield position,” he said.

“We’ll use pre-season to really determine where we see him. Yes, he can play that defensive role and he did under Steve McClaren fairly often (at FC Twente) but he is also one who likes to break from midfield. I’ll be using pre-season to determine that.[/quote]That surprises me, as I thought he looked at his best when breaking forward, and looked uncomfortable in a withdrawn role.

Him and tettey should be the two man midfield with at least one of the front two being a hard worker (so Lafferty or Grabban) that can help link them two to the other striker (RvW or Hooper). Attack mainly using the wings but have some deep lying cm based attacks instigated by Fer.

Back 4 well protected by the two CM''s though mostly Tettey allowing the full backs to get up the pitch more.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Howson is now"]Fer was deployed in a central midfield berth alongside Alex Tettey and Hughton revealed he will use the rest of City’s pre-season schedule to decide where the versatile Fer can inflict the most damage on the Premier League. “He is a physical presence but he also has a pass on him. I think in the short period of time that he was on he showed some of his passing range and he gives us real good option in that central midfield position,” he said. “We’ll use pre-season to really determine where we see him. Yes, he can play that defensive role and he did under Steve McClaren fairly often (at FC Twente) but he is also one who likes to break from midfield. I’ll be using pre-season to determine that.[/quote]

That surprises me, as I thought he looked at his best when breaking forward, and looked uncomfortable in a withdrawn role.
[/quote]

That was the general concensus in Holland also Morty. Many felt he went backwards whilst at Twente from his performances at Feynoord. He played as an attacking midfielder for the Netherlands U21 team (for whom he is the joint highest capped player of all time) and has always played that role for the full Netherlands team as well.

Fer isn''t a defensive midfielder, he could just about pull it off in the Eredivise as the league is much slower but was lost in that position in the Premier League.

Parma Ham''s gone mouldy wrote the following post at 14/07/2014 1:22 PM:

If we get our money back, we should move (him) on.

We wouldn''t get a replacement half as good for the money we paid for him.

[quote user="morty"]That surprises me, as I thought he looked at his best when breaking forward, and looked uncomfortable in a withdrawn role.[/quote]
100% agreed - I think he looks ''smaller'' when withdrawn too, normally he''s such a menace in the box, i would love to see him breaking forward more, dribbling in the opponents faces and making them know he''s around.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]If we get our money back, we should move (him) on.[/quote]I disagree, if we can convince him to stay, and we base the team around him, he can be a hugely important player for us.

With Morty on this, we need to keep him whatever, he has the potential of being our biggest member at the club!

i think he''s a class player. loves to get forward forward, makes superb charging, and more importantly direct runs. makes things happen and unless he''s making a run with the ball he tends to get rid of it with 1 touch to keep the attack flowing.

if we keep hold of him i can''t see adams restricting him like hughton did. looked at his best threading those through balls for hooper at watford and west brom notably.

There''s no reason we couldn''t build a team around him, i''ve paid special attention to him midflow and it''s as though he caresses each ball lovingly, and only when he''s ready to distribute he looks up, picks his spot, and it''s smooth like galaxy as he slowly releases it out.  

twitter rumours of €6m being enough (£4.2m)

At that price it suggests either there is a buy out or relegation clause, that the club want shot of him or mcnally has been affected by the sun.

When mccormack goes for £11m and matt jarvis for 8 figures surely we should be getting at least what we got for snoddy?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]twitter rumours of €6m being enough (£4.2m)

At that price it suggests either there is a buy out or relegation clause, that the club want shot of him or mcnally has been affected by the sun.

When mccormack goes for £11m and matt jarvis for 8 figures surely we should be getting at least what we got for snoddy?[/quote]Or that figure quoted could be a load of rubbish?Do you seriously think we''d let him go that cheap?