Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Leroy Fer

Now the story is that West Ham, Southampton and Q.P.R. Are after him, but the story from QPR finishes off with "  A bid of £6m from QPR will probably be enough to enter talks with the

24-year-old, and once in negotiations the West London club will have the

financial power to offer personal terms that could have this transfer

tied up very quickly.
On your bikes with that one !  I''d expect a lot more than £6m, even if he asks to leave.

I would hope for Fer''s sake that someone better than QPR come in for him. Saints might not be a bad shout - they have plenty of ££ at the mo, have lost a few decent players so have gaps to fill and have a Dutch legend as their boss, which might be a ''pull''. We''d surely want more than £6m though, I believe he is contracted until 2017 so he won''t be going on the cheap.

A midfield player moved last summer from Wigan to Everton for £12m. and since then fees in general have been inflated due to the extra TV money.

Then you have to adjust for the fact that he has played for the Netherlands in the World Cup.....so a realistic fee is £20m.

We shouldn''t sell ourselves short.

I would not be so sure about your hat. Fer is a dutch international and if McNasty keeps cool we will easily get somewhere around £20M.

Some of our fans need to get used to the fact that transfer fees have changed. Ross McCormack has just gone for £11m. Fer easily worth more than that.

If Snodgrass / plays for Scotland had one year left on his contract sold for 7.5 than fer / play for Holland world cup goal to his name three year contract he has got to be worth double so we should be looking at the 15 mil range . Which if we reinvested half that in a championship attacking midfielder i don''t think that would a bad days work

Ahem..... here we are talking about a player , cameo appearance for Holland in the WC notwithstanding, who was by no means guaranteed a place in a desperately struggling PL team last season.So, to my mind ,any talk of more than 6 or 7 mill for Fer is fanciful at best.

Reggie, I''m afraid you have no idea about the quality of the player we are talking about or the circumstances of his contract and the worth of players these days.

If he left us for anything less than £15M I would be disappointed but of all the players we have, Fer would be the one I would least want us to lose.

He was a first choice starter til he got injured and at one point was a candidate for POTS had he kept up his form for the whole season. As it happened he got injured and never quite got it back then Adams didn''t really play him in the last few games for reasons that are probably known only to him.

We signed him for something in the region of £6m. Since then he has shown he can play in the prem, been called up to and scored at the World Cup. Even bang average players go for big fees these days. We (especially the fans) really need to stop undervaluing our players and the club should start slapping stupid price tags on a few of them if we think they are going to leave anyway because some mug will probably pay it.

Makes me laugh when i read that David Marshall is valued at £15m but Ruddy is probably available for £7m. Why on earth should Ruddy be half the price of Marshall? yes Marshall had a couple of great games against us last season but having had both keepers play for us I know who I would rather have in goal.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Reggie, I''m afraid you have no idea about the quality of the player we are talking about or the circumstances of his contract and the worth of players these days.

If he left us for anything less than £15M I would be disappointed but of all the players we have, Fer would be the one I would least want us to lose.[/quote]

I have mixed feelings on losing him to be honest although certainly would not want him to go unless the fee is right. He could certainly be awesome in the championship if his head is right but I think part of me is also open to him leaving (if the fee is right) because (admittedly based on nothing in particular) i worry that he is the sort of player who could go missing if his heart is not in it and I think next season we need all hands on deck.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Reggie, I''m afraid you have no idea about the quality of the player we are talking about or the circumstances of his contract and the worth of players these days.

If he left us for anything less than £15M I would be disappointed but of all the players we have, Fer would be the one I would least want us to lose.[/quote]That''s just the point, YW...we don''t really know.  If he''d been a consistent performer for us last season, albeit in a team that was relegated, then there would be some hard evidence to entice clubs to part with cash for him. But, whether we like it or not, he wasn''t. OK , he scored a goal in a brief appearance for the Dutch, but is that seriously going to elevate him to the 15 to 20 mil bracket.Where I would agree with you is the price of players is rather inflated just now, but you have no idea what his contract is. Neither have I.I''ll put the ball into your court. Just which clubs do you think would be prepared to shell out 15 to 20 mill for Leroy Fer ?

I would agree that £20m is excessive but i think it should be between £10m and £15m if he is to go.

3 years on his contract. Young player, Got to be worth more than Snoddy and i would respectfully suggest that any deal that values him at less than McCormack is not a good deal for us.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I would agree that £20m is excessive but i think it should be between £10m and £15m if he is to go.

3 years on his contract. Young player, Got to be worth more than Snoddy and i would respectfully suggest that any deal that values him at less than McCormack is not a good deal for us.[/quote]Yes we all know the length of the contract, Jim. It''s the details/clauses/value that we don''t know. In the end, it all depends on whether LF wants to stay and play for us. There is certainly a case that if he does stay, has an ''awesome'' (as someone put it) season in the Champ, then his value could well be inflated to these sort of levels. I take your point about Mc Cormack , but he has at least a demonstrable record of goalscoring over a couple of seasons for Leeds.I''d still be intrigued to know which clubs would be beating a path to our door to sign Fer for in excess of even, say 7 or 8 mill ?  Certainly 10 to 15 .

End of the day if someone doesnt £10m then we dont sell. Simple as that. We dont need the money. A player in his mid 20s who has 3 years left on his contract who has just been away to the world cup with the 3rd place team and even scored. Doesnt need to be sold for £6m. Im quite confident that he will not be leaving for £6m or less.

Tough one to call. Fer has indicated that he wants to stay, but he has now hit the limelight at the World Cup and that may change things big time. I also feel that £10m should be the minimum accepted for him, but I''d rather see him stay.

That''s kind of my point, CJRV.  Personally, I do not think there will be any takers to stump up 10m for Fer, untried as he is. We do not need to sell him, but if he makes it clear he wants to leave, then it''ll be down (again) to whether we want to keep a player whose heart is not in it, or let him go to the highest bidder.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Tough one to call. Fer has indicated that he wants to stay, but he has now hit the limelight at the World Cup and that may change things big time. I also feel that £10m should be the minimum accepted for him, but I''d rather see him stay.[/quote]I agree with all of that, but really, what limelight? Whilst we have been very enthusiastic about him, I haven''t seen the national press enthusing particularly much. Perhaps him being injured will help our cause for him staying, had he started more games I think he would definitely be off.

I think this one in particular will show us where we stand on the "we don''t need to sell" stuff being spouted by the Board. For every other player who might be off, you could make a case for a sale at the right price.

Fer is a class player and will, I think, be the best midfielder in the Championship if he stays. If we do sell him, even for £20m, it will signal to me that we are actually happy to be in this league for a few years.

He is happy to stay. We need him to stay as we don''t have anyone like him to replace him (unlike Ruddy, Hooper, RVW etc). So for me, if Fer does go, it will kill any more talk of "ambition" and underline once again the little old Norwich viewpoint.

[quote user="sgncfc"] If we do sell him, even for £20m, it will signal to me that we are actually happy to be in this league for a few years.  [/quote]

Turning down £20m for Fer would probably give me greater cause for concern than accepting such an offer.

Yeah, I don''t want him to go, but if £20m was on the table for him, i''d be gobsmacked if we said no! Selling him for £20m wouldn''t send out the wrong messages, it''d send out a message of common sense.

Having said that, while some of my Leeds fan mates are deligthed with £11m for McCormack, some are upset because the money will no doubt just end up with shareholders and they will buy a second rate replacement. They bought some random Serie B striker at the weekend.

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 14/07/2014 8:50 AM: ......... i worry that he is the sort of player who could go missing if his heart is not in it and I think next season we need all hands on deck.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. There were times at the beginning of last season where Leroy looked to be one of our best ever buys but as the season went on his enthusiasm seemed to wane.

I believe the reason for that was the restrictive, very narrow system that was being played.

Posters on here keep craving for a creative midfielder, Leroy could easily be that player if he was allowed to be.

Last season he had little or no opportunity to play through balls to forwards as all the space in front of him was taken by both ''wide '' men coming inside and dragging defenders in with them, as a result he had no opportunity to play to advanced wide players as the ''wide'' men were inside and our fullbacks, with their emphasis on defence, were never there soon enough.

Similarly he had little or no opportunity to make surging runs into the box because he was expected to concentrate on defensive duties first of all, meaning that he started very deep and by the time he got into a position to get into the box either Redmond and his marking fullback or Snodgrass and his marking fullback had restricted the space for him to get into.

His frustration could, at times, be seen by his body language and facial expression.

Give him a system where he can express himself and we would have a very good player and a player that so many desire.

Whilst intrinsically I agree with all that yellow wall has written there, there''s a part of me that says that if a player is to command 10 m fees and the attendant wages, he should be professional enough to be able to fit into a number of tactical scenarios, and perform with enthusiasm and confidence in any.That said, it must have been damned difficult for any half-decent player to perform in the sort of straitjacket foisted on them by Hughton last season.I''ve no doubt that LF, could be a real asset to us next season, and repeat that if we (and he) are going to realise the best from our assets in the medium term it could well be beneficial for him to have an impressive few months performing regularly in the Champ than just jumping ship at the first opportunity, particularly if its to someone like QPR.

I agree with this, as Fer could be excellent playing at the tip of a diamond formation or as an ACM if he''s given the freedom to express himself. That could be the source of his motivation and his technical skills would stand out immensely in the Championship.

He''s probably worth about £8-9m and the question is - is it worth it, an international at the heart of our midfield?- the answer is no (imo, he''ll help us get back up)

On balance a fee of between 8 and 10 million would be realistic, he is some way off being the finished article.

So, 8-10 with a sell on clause would be fine surely....

I really rate him and don''t want to lose him but if Adams is thinking about the diamond, will he play ahead of Howson? I think in a flat 4-4-2, Howson and Fer could absolutely boss that midfield and develop a very good understanding of who bombs on and when. My concern with the diamond is that it''s likely to mostly be Tettey holding, and one of Howson or Fer at the tip.

Another thing that went against Fer last season was that Hughton admitted he didn''t know where to play him at first*. Regardless of how good you are, that can''t help you integrate into a new team and formation if the manager isn''t 100% clear how best to utilise your talents.

*Sure I remember one of the very early Hughton interviews on Fer he said he wasn''t sure how best to utilise him but can''t find it.