Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

National Anthems

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]US anthem strikes you as fascist? Good God you''re insane.

The song is about the battle for freedom against a dictatorship, and the strength of the human spirit to see it through.

At sunset, the flag was flying, and despite the death and destruction happening in the dark of night, the explosions lit up the sky so the fllag and all it represented was visible and kept the fighting spirit strong. At sunrise, "our flag was still there". Jesus, Nexus, that song is an inspiration AGAINST fascism.

.[/quote]As Johnny Forigner living in the USA its a bit much to hear this anthem at every sporting event. When your made to feel like an anti American because you dont have your hand on your heart when they play this at every opportunity?Used to use the anthem as an excuse to buy a hotdog or go for a wizz as it made me feel uncomfortble.Nationalistic spirit is something that goes hand in hand with facism.America is a false democracy with a psuedo dictatorship, the Bush ellection was rigged and if that had happened somewhere in the middle east the USA would have shown concern.I wouldnt call it an inspiration against facism in any way shape or form, quite the opposite. Each to thier own though, what do I know I only lived there 8 years.

Oh my goodness, they sing the anthem at sporting events, those bloody Nazis, and for you it''s too much. Sadly, American culture isn''t based on your desires.

The hyperbole that followed was uninspired and therefore unwinding.

Nationalism is part of fascism but so are rallies, scapegoating, secret and not so secret police forces to control and eliminate dissension, dictatorship with a personality cult, limited rights, censorship and many other things that are not part of American life.

The part about rigged elections is nonsensical conspiratorial

rubbish for paranoid kooks to share with each other.

But I was responding to your ridiculous statement about the anthem itself, and you didn''t come up with anything to contradict that beyond "I wouldn''t". Why don''t you give examples of how the wording of the anthem is fascist?

The fact you didn''t integrate after 8 years says way more about you than it does about America. The vast majority of people who come to America with the idea that Borat is a documentary are stunned at how open and welcoming and bright the place is in

real life. They are not all Kardashians, Cartmans, Homer Simpsons and Bonnie Barbarinos.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Oh my goodness, they sing the anthem at sporting events, those bloody Nazis, and for you it''s too much. Sadly, American culture isn''t based on your desires.

The hyperbole that followed was uninspired and therefore unwinding.

Nationalism is part of fascism but so are rallies, scapegoating, secret and not so secret police forces to control and eliminate dissension, dictatorship with a personality cult, limited rights, censorship and many other things that are not part of American life.

The part about rigged elections is nonsensical conspiratorial

rubbish for paranoid kooks to share with each other.

But I was responding to your ridiculous statement about the anthem itself, and you didn''t come up with anything to contradict that beyond "I wouldn''t". Why don''t you give examples of how the wording of the anthem is fascist?

The fact you didn''t integrate after 8 years says way more about you than it does about America. The vast majority of people who come to America with the idea that Borat is a documentary are stunned at how open and welcoming and bright the place is in

real life. They are not all Kardashians, Cartmans, Homer Simpsons and Bonnie Barbarinos.[/quote]Quit waving your stars and stripes and accept that not everyone loves the USA. I happen to have a lot of time and respect for (most) of the populace. I was just saying I find your nationalism (especially in the south) very right wing. If you dont like that, cry me a river.

[quote user="Paul"]With our anthem you start singing it, a breath in the middle and its over in a flash[/quote]

Good. It''s a very dull piece of music.

I wonder if some of the older posters on here used to sneak out of the cinemas just before it was played.

Nexus, you keep changing your story by ignoring my dismantling of it and making new complaint.

I never suggested everybody loves America, only that most who base their opinions of it on tv are pleasantly surprised when they actually go there.

Perhaps they find your complete lack of national pride as being very left-wing.

Now you say you do like most of the people you originally insinuated were fascists at heart. Now it''s mainly the South. Maybe if you''d opened your eyes you''d have seen the ethnic diversity there and noticed more than a few people proudly displaying the colors of their homelands and/or heritage. The South is more than The Dukes of Hazard although you might have to turn off the tv and go there to realize it.

That''s true. Americans have been the best fed people and therefore larger going back to colonial times when meat was a staple for them while other places had very limited access to it.

However, the highest percentage of fatties in Western nations is Mexico.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]That''s true. Americans have been the best fed people and therefore larger going back to colonial times when meat was a staple for them while other places had very limited access to it. However, the highest percentage of fatties in Western nations is Mexico.[/quote]

I heard this the other day and sadly one of the reasons is because their water is so poor that they tend to drink coke/sugary drinks instead.

Their water has been terrible for decades but obesity is recent. It''s y he same there as everywhere else: more packaged foods and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

[quote user="Herman "]I wonder if some of the older posters on here used to sneak out of the cinemas just before it was played.[/quote]Everytime Herman (although it was more of a stampede than a sneak). [:D]

"Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"Their water has been terrible for decades but obesity is recent. It''s y he same there as everywhere else: more packaged foods and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

US companies are the best in the world at marketing. Especially the ones selling unhealthy products.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Nexus, you keep changing your story by ignoring my dismantling of it and making new complaint.

I never suggested everybody loves America, only that most who base their opinions of it on tv are pleasantly surprised when they actually go there.

Perhaps they find your complete lack of national pride as being very left-wing.

Now you say you do like most of the people you originally insinuated were fascists at heart. Now it''s mainly the South. Maybe if you''d opened your eyes you''d have seen the ethnic diversity there and noticed more than a few people proudly displaying the colors of their homelands and/or heritage. The South is more than The Dukes of Hazard although you might have to turn off the tv and go there to realize it.[/quote]You obviously have not actually read what I have put. I lived in the south for 8 years.

Yes, US companies selling unhealthy products made Mexico fat and lazy. Nestle, Cadbury, Rountree-McIntosh all out-marketed by crafty American businesses.

Nexus, your experience of living in the southern US must have been hellish and you stuck it out for 8 years. If I felt so alienated and isolated, I would have left much sooner. Your stubborness to not integrate yet not leave, and suffer such indignities like standing for the anthem at all the sporting events you attended is commendable. For it to negatively impact your life so much, I can only assume you were at sporting events a lot. You must really love American sports, anthem singing aside.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Yes, US companies selling unhealthy products made Mexico fat and lazy. Nestle, Cadbury, Rountree-McIntosh all out-marketed by crafty American businesses.

Nexus, your experience of living in the southern US must have been hellish and you stuck it out for 8 years. If I felt so alienated and isolated, I would have left much sooner. Your stubborness to not integrate yet not leave, and suffer such indignities like standing for the anthem at all the sporting events you attended is commendable. For it to negatively impact your life so much, I can only assume you were at sporting events a lot. You must really love American sports, anthem singing aside.[/quote]Are you on a windup or just a crackhead?Integration does not make it my national anthem, you sound like one of those BNP / UKIP / BF mugs.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Yobocop"]Algeria''s?[/quote]

[Y]

Has a hint of the Monty Pythons.....

[/quote]

I thought more the laughing postman

[quote user="Paul"]Our national anthem isn''t long enough[/quote]

if you mean God save the queen it is actually 5 verses however only the 1st is played.

I agree with others that GSTQ should only be played when representing GB and not England

Pit you don''t know it ''all'' dave, my google cache says that the full 5 verses of God save the queen (Or GSTQ as you callously call it) are split among the 5 countries contained within the ''arms'' of Great Brian.
That being:-
England, Scotsland, Welshes, North Island & Southen Island.
And the verses are split therefore, so England have verse 1, the scotch have 2... etc.  So it''s totally appropriate when representing England.
HTH

[quote user="Google Bot"]Pit you don''t know it ''all'' dave, my google cache says that the full 5 verses of God save the queen (Or GSTQ as you callously call it) are split among the 5 countries contained within the ''arms'' of Great Brian.
That being:-
England, Scotsland, Welshes, North Island & Southen Island.
And the verses are split therefore, so England have verse 1, the scotch have 2... etc.  So it''s totally appropriate when representing England.
HTH
[/quote]

Ive not claimed to know it all, was just stating that the anthem is not short as there are 5 verses.

If what you say is correct i''m not sure how it fits no verse seems to represent a country in its lyrics

God save our gracious Queen

Long live our noble Queen

God save the Queen

Send her victorious

Happy and glorious

Long to reign over us

God save the Queen

O Lord our God arise

Scatter her enemies

And make them fall

Confound their politics

Frustrate their knavish tricks

On Thee our hopes we fix

God save us all

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour

Long may she reign

May she defend our laws

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice

God save the Queen

Not in this land alone

But be God''s mercies known

From shore to shore

Lord make the nations see

That men should brothers be

And form one family

The wide world over

From every latent foe

From the assassins blow

God save the Queen

O''er her thine arm extend

For Britain''s sake defend

Our mother, prince, and friend

God save the Queen

...just checking my cache... yes... as i suspected.
"The fifth verse was under deep scrutiny when the Queen first presented the lyrics to her anthem to the soldiers, she originally intended to have one for Spain which she frequently visited on holiday and thus was partial to.  However, when north islands and south islands split in half this all went out of the window" - Stephen Fry Wikipedia.
If you look carefully, you can pick up distinct accents in each verse provided as ''gifts'' from the queen herself to the individual nations:  "Knavish" for example is exclusively used in Scotch books, and history shows us that the laws of Great Brian were originally from welshes people, hence all that in their verse.
There''s a shame so much mis-education is provided regarding this subject.  you have to wonder why we are surrounded by so many Charlatans.

Those talking about the shortness of the GSTQ, there is a time limit on anthems in international football. I think it is 1min 20, or 1min 30 which is why the Brazilians sing after the end of the music.

For me the England anthem should be Land of Hope & Glory. As good as Rule Britannia is, it is Britain and not England.

The German national anthem hasn''t changed since WW2, they just sing the third verse instead of the first one. At official engagements e.g. signing in of the President etc. they sing all three verses. The lyrics in the one they sing is "unity and justice and freedom"