Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

National Anthems

Top 3 of the world cup1) USA - what a superb national anthem almost make you wish you were a yank so you can sing it.2) France- must be a joy to sing.3) Germany- you can see how they fancied themselves for european domination after singing this with a few beers inside them in their brown shirts.worst national anthem has to be god save the queen it is awful, downbeat and depressing no wonder we never win fu(k all

[quote user="im spartacus"]worst national anthem has to be god save the queen it is awful, downbeat and depressing no wonder we never win fu(k all[/quote]We beat them Germans the last time we played them 74 years ago...

I like the English version of the La Marseillaise!

"A Frenchman went to the Lavatory, for to have a jolly good.........................................."

I''d like our National Anthem to be the Imperial March from Star Wars.

Land of Hope and Glory is better. I went to commonwealth games where England are competing against the other home nations, and they played it there for English victories.

I never understood why the England national team plays God save the King/Queen. God save the King/Queen is the BRITISH national anthem, not the English one. Scotland play Flower of Scotland, Wales play Land of My Fathers, why do England have to be the exception?
Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory would be far more suitable.   

Agreed, God Save The Queen is a terrible anthem, and were I an England player I most certainly would not sing it.

[quote user="im spartacus"]Top 3 of the world cup1) USA - what a superb national anthem almost make you wish you were a yank so you can sing it.2) France- must be a joy to sing.3) Germany- you can see how they fancied themselves for european domination after singing this with a few beers inside them in their brown shirts.worst national anthem has to be god save the queen it is awful, downbeat and depressing no wonder we never win fu(k all[/quote]If you refer to "zee war" they changed thier anthem after it because Deutchland uber allas was seen as a Nazi song and replaced. Now if you want to talk about marching boots and domination listen to that one ;-)Germany Germany above all, above all in the world...... dont need to give you the rest of the lyrics you can imagine the general idea ;-)

As for best anthems, i like those silly African / South American ones which sound like a mix between hard house and samba.French National anthem always sounds the boom shizzle.Yank National anthem, well i spent so long over there it always strikes me as somewhat facist so i dont like theirs over much

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I never understood why the England national team plays God save the King/Queen. God save the King/Queen is the BRITISH national anthem, not the English one. Scotland play Flower of Scotland, Wales play Land of My Fathers, why do England have to be the exception?
Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory would be far more suitable.   
[/quote]Rule Britannia if we walking that road! ( just hit the chorus ignoring the pomp and operatic ballz)

US anthem strikes you as fascist? Good God you''re insane.

The song is about the battle for freedom against a dictatorship, and the strength of the human spirit to see it through.

At sunset, the flag was flying, and despite the death and destruction happening in the dark of night, the explosions lit up the sky so the fllag and all it represented was visible and kept the fighting spirit strong. At sunrise, "our flag was still there". Jesus, Nexus, that song is an inspiration AGAINST fascism.

Agreed with the US and German anthems but not so sure about the French. I like the Italian one. Unusual to get an almost jolly tune for an anthem.

God save the Queen is awful. Pretty much the worst around, both the tune and the sentiment.

Land of Hope and Glory is much more suited to our history and spirit.

but when he reached for the paper . . .

To be honest I don''t see the need for a national anthem. I could manage without the monarchy and I don''t believe there is a god so why would I want to sing about it.

Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem are inspiring and emotional pieces of music but do refer to god.

If we must have some form of music to identify before football matches etc, I would go for something instrumental only and would consider Elgar''s Nimrod as perfect for the job.

When I was in Cub Scouts, we had a mini Olympics and each team had to think of a National Anthem to sing. We ended up singing the anthem from Blackadder. Now that I would love to see!

Agree with the OP. Our anthem is terribly dreary and uninspiring. I can''t help but love the Italian anthem. Heard it a lot growing up watching the F1 as well!

One thing I have noticed though is that all the countries and cultures have nutouriously european classical (baroque, classical, romantic era) sounding anthems. Even places like Equador. I know they were probably a Spanish colony (forgive my history if wrong) but would they not have something more equadorian sounding? Applies to a lot of countries not just them.

We totally need a new anthem and why not grab one that somebody else has no need for any more:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDrtNEr_5M

My favourite stirring anthem and it goes on and on, getting even epicker (er, more epic)

By the same token - this one''s currently available, too:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1CyPjQQTAM

Not much jauntier than our own in parts, but there are many twists and turns along the way and the melody''s excellent.

I love the clash of the reality versus the rhetoric in anthems, and none more so than in some of the ''democratic'' republics of the past, where they had to shoot their population to stop them escaping from their "united fatherland".

Anyone care to write better lyrics for an England version?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Agree with the OP. Our anthem is terribly dreary and uninspiring. I can''t help but love the Italian anthem. Heard it a lot growing up watching the F1 as well!

One thing I have noticed though is that all the countries and cultures have nutouriously european classical (baroque, classical, romantic era) sounding anthems. Even places like Equador. I know they were probably a Spanish colony (forgive my history if wrong) but would they not have something more equadorian sounding? Applies to a lot of countries not just them.[/quote]

Generally many post-colonial nations adopted anthems immediately after independence (particularly in Africa) to build nationalist sentiment but also to give some legitimacy to their state too and build ''state hardness'' (many of which only existed because they had been drawn up to look that way by the European powers at the Berlin conference or through military tensions and thus consisted of a huge mix of ethnicities and languages). But with a disjointed ''national culture'' immediately after the European administrations left in the last century many reverted back to classical music with rousing language aimed at giving a sense of unity and I believe they''ve been kept the same since.

[quote user="Yobocop"]Algeria''s?[/quote]

[Y]

Has a hint of the Monty Pythons.....