Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Russell Martin Named full time captain

Good bloke but I worry that this decision means he will be playing most games this season when was one of weaker players in a poor team last year. He certainly isn''t a leader on the pitch which what we really missed throughout last season.

Hope I''m proved wrong but this isn''t a progressive move for the club.

" I worry that this decision means he will be playing most games this

season when was one of weaker players in a poor team last year"I really wonder what our poor players have done to deserve this kind of rubbish sometimes.Martin is solid. He was often doing the job of two players last season due to Snodgrass not really being a hardworker in the defensive department. Not only this, but he still tried to offer width, which is normally when, rather than play the relatively easy ball into the path of his overlapping run, Snodgrass would inexplicable turn inside, lose it and then wave his arms angrily at Martin rather than track back and cover the man who had bust a lung to offer a good run.He''s never going to be a player like Olsson which is probably why he is more suited to switching inside. Positionally I''d say he is better than Olsson, who often got caught but has the benefit of his pace to make up for any little error''s. That''s not to say Olsson is rubbish - just that they offer different things. Martin is much like Drury in that he defends first. Where as Olsson is a much more forward thinking full back.This may be the way Adams is looking at it.

chicken,

Well said Sir, imo you are a man who truly recognises a top player.

RM is a true professional, a player who was expected to be Captain last season (by the vast majority of the players, who were shocked when he wasn''t).

A captain''s job is primarily done off the pitch and RM is brilliant at that, even when Mr Holt was Captain it was RM who did all the work off the pitch.

He is a thinking man who has come a long way in the last few years, including being recognised as a first choice CB by Strachan, who in my opinion is a damn good judge of a player.

A great decision by Adams and fully deserved. Martin is a true professional. He may have struggled last season and I agree it was partly other players fault that he had to do two players jobs at times.

This is how it should have been last season and I feel it''s a step in the right direction!

Splitting the captaincy role was one of Hughton''s most p*ss poor ideas. I said it then and I''ve said it since. So glad this car crash of an idea has been undone and another piece of Hughton mess has been repaired

He was the obvious choice, so that makes it a good thing.If Howson was in the team more, I would have also considered him, I like a midfield captain.

I''d have rather it been howson

I''d also Russell Martin not be played as a centre back,as he''s a bit pony playing there

We''re all entitled to our opinions, however there appear to be very few fans who understand the qualities required for football leadership. Some even suggested Snodgrass a few months back! Howson''s team talks would be like listening to Peter Sallis narrating Wallace & Gromit ''zzzzz!''

Russell Martin is the stand-out man for the job. Future manager I''d say...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

what leadership qualities does Howson have?

Russ Martin was the only candidate for me.

[/quote]Wasn''t he Leeds youngest ever captain?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Wasn''t he Leeds youngest ever captain?

[/quote]

a mid table, championship side....

where as Russ Martin has acheived?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Wasn''t he Leeds youngest ever captain?

[/quote]

[/quote]Yeah you''re kinda missing my point, he clearly does have leadership qualities, if he was appointed team captain at a young age.I didn''t say I was unhappy with Martin, but stated that I actually prefer a midfield captain, thats all.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Wasn''t he Leeds youngest ever captain?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah you''re kinda missing my point, he clearly does have leadership qualities, if he was appointed team captain at a young age.

I didn''t say I was unhappy with Martin, but stated that I actually prefer a midfield captain, thats all.
[/quote]

fair views.

I acutally think Goalkeepers make the best captains, but not so in our case with Martin ahead of ruddy

[quote user="morty"]He was the obvious choice, so that makes it a good thing.

If Howson was in the team more, I would have also considered him, I like a midfield captain.
[/quote]

Is Howson not in the team a lot?

Apart from injury he''s surely seen as a first choice in midfield.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]He was the obvious choice, so that makes it a good thing.If Howson was in the team more, I would have also considered him, I like a midfield captain.[/quote]

Is Howson not in the team a lot?

Apart from injury he''s surely seen as a first choice in midfield.

[/quote]Yeah, you''re probably right, the times he was missing last season were mostly down to injury.But my initial point still stands really.

It depends what the team mostly needs out of their captain. We need someone to bring the best out of a potentially less motivated side of players that ability wise are the best in the league. Sometimes teams have a young side that needs nurturing, sometimes they have an inexperienced side.

I''d imagine Howson was captain because he''d played a lot by then for Leeds and knew how to motivate the players to play ''The Leeds way''.

Martin for me is the standout captain choice. The problem last season is that he wasn''t guaranteed to be starting but I feel this year he''s a shoe in most weeks.

This is a seriously bad decision, what are we going to do when Adams realises RM cant play centre back and his job is at risk keep playing him there.

RM was captain when we played Fulham in cup at home, remember Fulhams goal no communication between RM and Bunn. RM just shrugged his shoulders as though he couldn''t give a t@@@.

What is it with the RM love in by supporters.

[quote user="morty"]I didn''t say I was unhappy with Martin, but stated that I actually prefer a midfield captain, thats all.[/quote]
I concur, but with Martin you get more control coming from the rear, last thing you want is having your pants pulled from behind when pushing up front.  Depends what your preference is i suppose, Howson has good ball control and likes to go hard through the middle which i also like.  Do you?