Sign in to follow this  
GrantsMoustache

Would you take Grant Holt on loan?

On the cheap?He has been left training on his own whilst his team mates are overseas on their training camp. They won''t find anybody willing to take his contract over so they will probably be forced to loan him out again. Would you have Holt here if we only had to pay say £5000 a week?Or do we now have our new Holt at the club, Kyle Lafferty?

Nope, Holt complelety fell over the cliff face last season. Norwich timed his sale perfectly (although never adequately replaced him). Would be a shame to ruin that by resigning him.

If he ain''t good enough for Wigan, why on earth would he be good enough for Norwich. Especially as they are currently overloaded with strikers.

I rather like where we are in the striking department at the moment and hope that it stays that way, despite rumours.

Nothing against GH whatsoever, but he would be a bit in the way surely. 

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Why Morty? Just think he is past his best? If we didn''t have Lafferty now, would your answer have been different? [/quote]He was past his best when we let him go.

can only echo BY&G;   we got this decision spot on and that wigan are looking to move him on speaks volumes.  I just dont think he can deliver what we need now.

A club legend,   but has no part as a player in our future.

So long, and thanks for all the fish 

My answer is also ''no''. I think Lafferty offers us that physical presence now, and Holt could get in the way a bit. But if we hadn''t of signed Lafferty I''d have been tempted, we have missed having a big man, and although he had a bad season last year, I still think he could have done a job for us at times. At Wigan Coyle played him as a lone striker, like Hughton did, and then he got injured.  Had a couple of good games for Villa. I''d expect him to be playing for Carlisle within 18 months though, probably after Whelan pays him off, can''t see anybody taking him off Wigan''s hands.

I''d love to have him back but there simply isn''t room anymore, and he''s said before that there would have to be a big pot of money to bring him back... That''s not the attitude to be spouting at the club that made him mainstream news.

Some players and managers only really perform at one club in their whole career. Let''s not forget we signed him on the back of a 13 goal haul in league 2 for one of the better teams (and people are bemoaning Laffertys record last year in serie B.)

I''d have him back on a reasonable wage, I have no doubt despite his limitations he''d keep popping up with goals when called upon. Especially under someone like Adams who want''s to play attacking football, the antithesis of Coyles stodgy Hughton-esque approach or whatever Bastardised, deep sitting version of Lambert''s philosophy Villa have inherited . Rosler also demanded some technical nous from his forwards so it''s no wonder he didn''t fancy Holt.

Only if you could knock 5 years and probably the same in stones of him.

Always came back from close season overweight , can''t imagine what he will be this year.

Carlise next stop.

Perhaps we could just get him on loan from Wigan for just the forthcoming game at Portman Road.

It would give them a collective nightmare just thinking about it.

Darth nailed it.

The magical chemistry from the glory days of Lambert may have changed to much since then, but maybe not. It''s certainly worth a try. Our Hughton offense was far worse without him than with him.

2002-03       1 goal2003-04       6 goals2004-05       24 goals2005-06       19 goals2006-07       18 goals2007-08       3 goals2008-09       28 goals2009-10       30 goals2010-11       23 goals2011-12       17 goals2012-13       8 goals2013-14       3 goals

Is a complete myth to say that he has only scored goals for Norwich. More like he had scored goals for every club unless Colin Calderwood was employed. In 2007-08 he was put out on the right wing under Calderwood, and in 2012-13 he had to put up with the Hughton/Caldwerwood/Trollope negativity. In 2007/08 he played right wing, in 2012/13 and 2013/14 he was played as a loan striker. The right manager to play the right football and get him motivated and I''m sure he could still get into double figures in this league. I don''t think that right manager is Adams though, probably better off in League One to rediscover his goalscoring form.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Darth Catbeard..... not sure where you are getting your figures from, he scored 28 goals in his season at Shrewsbury before we signed. [/quote]

You''re right and I apologise, but I swear I heard he only scored 13 in the previous year and at his press conference he was questioned on this and claimed it was more important to contribute to the team than score goals....Maybe I dreamt it xD