Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What has Bassong done?

Last season he had no pre season and apart from a handful of games didn''t recover, playing poorly.

I think if we had the Bassong of his 1st season, we may have crept over the line last season cause he scored a few goals 1st time around. He was no threat in the oppositions penalty box last season when he was the season before that!

He was a big Hughton man and our previous managers slow, painful demise last season also didn''t help Bassong.

Bassong was way to easy going last season. He annoyed me cause he regularly communicated with fans on the front rows when should have been fully focused on the game.

He also probably thinks he''s too good for the Championship but his CV had got 3 relegations to his name plus only one season decent spells at clubs so he''s not gonna get loads of offers from the Premiership. In his 1st season with us many of us wondered why Spurs let him go but last season we saw why.

He''ll be gone if we get an offer but I suspect we won''t get many but I still think if we could get him back to his form of 2 seasons ago he''d be one of the best players in the 2nd tier!

Watching him play yesterday at Boston its not hard to see why he will never play for our first team again.....he was embarrassing...absolutely woeful, constantly outstripped by non league players, lazy and a very poor example to our youngsters. Trouble is we may be stuck with him.

Bassong has always had a bad attitude. He fell out with his Newcastle teammates after their relegation, and then refused to travel to a friendly in the pre-season at Dundee for which he was fined two weeks wages. This forced Newcastle''s hand and they sold him.

So no surprise that he is doing similar here by making himself an outcast because he wants to force a deal. He is obviously looking for another signing on fee. The problem we have is that his stock was high when Newcastle went down, and as he was young he was considered a prospect and patchy form and mistakes are overlooked.

Now he is 28, should really be at the top of his game but had a terrible season, and other managers will just see a player who has been relegated three times who has forced through his last two moves and is probably doing it again.

I can''t believe Hughton ever considered him captain material.

It''s a shame that Hughton didn''t get the West Brom job, because then he could have taken his captain with him.

How many better centrebacks have Norwich had in the last 10-15 years?

Well we have certainly more reliable and consistent centre backs. He may be able to play his way out of defense but sometimes you just need your defenders to get all the simple things right - like Turner. I won''t be sad to see him go, thinks he is better than he is and can be a complete liability. I would be more than happy to see Turner and Bennett at the back, although we do need another cb to come in.Really just not fond of the man. A petulant clown who thinks he is too big for the championship, but has been relegated three times from the league above. If given the choice between Turner or Bassong I would choose Turner every time. He does divide opinion though, as this thread shows.

Bassong on his day is a top defender, and l would say someof the criticism he has got has been a bit unfair, however he simply didnt help himself with his behavior at the latter end of the season.

turning to the Barclay and laughing when making a mistake or shrugging his shoulders when fans Shout at him for making no attempt to organise the defence for a set piece is only going to cause issues when you''re already not at the top of your game.

Ironically, when the teams winning, that kind of approach can make fans warm to a player. When you''re losing and seemingly going down, I can understand fans being against him.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Well we have certainly more reliable and consistent centre backs.
[/quote]

Name them.

And then pick which ones are better equipped to defend in the Premier League.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Well we have certainly more reliable and consistent centre backs.
[/quote]

Name them.

And then pick which ones are better equipped to defend in the Premier League.

[/quote]

Bassong certainly isn''t with his terrible attitude!

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Hasn''t anybody told you GJP? We aren''t in the Premier League.
[/quote]

Ah, I take it you''re struggling to answer my original question.

For what it''s worth, I don''t think Bassong is the best defender you''ll ever see and I''ve had my criticisms of him (some were unpopular at the time) but, putting it into perspective, he is the one of the best we''ve had in recent times.

He was fantastic in his first season, and terrible last season. I don''t have any doubts about his ability, but I have huge doubts about his attitude and willingness to commit himself to the cause.For that reason I think we would be better off with Turner, Bennett and somebody new. How many strikers can you name from the last 15 years who were capable of scoring the goal that Marc Libbra did on his debut against Man City in 2001? Not many. But you still wouldn''t have got rid of Iwan Roberts to keep him, who was consistent and reliable and produced the goods week in week out and was the right player for us.Marc Libbra was at Marseille when they won the Champions League in 1993, playing 130 times for them, and played alongside Desailly, Deschamps, and Voller. He possibly even obtained a Champions League winners medal.  We haven''t had as many gifted players, but we have had many more effective ones, and that is the issue with Bassong staying here if his head isn''t right and his heart isn''t in it.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]He was fantastic in his first season, and terrible last season. I don''t have any doubts about his ability, but I have huge doubts about his attitude and willingness to commit himself to the cause.For that reason I think we would be better off with Turner, Bennett and somebody new. How many strikers can you name from the last 15 years who were capable of scoring the goal that Marc Libbra did on his debut against Man City in 2001? Not many. But you still wouldn''t have got rid of Iwan Roberts to keep him, who was consistent and reliable and produced the goods week in week out and was the right player for us.Marc Libbra was at Marseille when they won the Champions League in 1993, playing 130 times for them, and played alongside Desailly, Deschamps, and Voller. He possibly even obtained a Champions League winners medal.  We haven''t had as many gifted players, but we have had many more effective ones, and that is the issue with Bassong staying here if his head isn''t right and his heart isn''t in it. [/quote]

Completely agree

What he''s done is be head and shoulders our best CB in a long time and got derided by people who think Gary Hooper and Michael Turner are good at soccer...

That says all you need to know...

yeah, you know the game that Norwich City play.

Or are you unaware that people have different words for it. Do words confuse you that much? If so...

[quote user="jaemae2"]yeah, you know the game that Norwich City play.

Or are you unaware that people have different words for it. Do words confuse you that much? If so...[/quote]

City plays foootbaalll... (at least we try)

Reading between the lines of what Adams said, - trained and played with the U21, etc., it would seem that it is Bassong''s attitude which is the problem. He has form on this, both with Spurs and with Wolves. He plays well at first but then loses interest. In retrospect, perhaps Hughton gave him the captaincy in the hope of re-kindling his attitude.

Adams said that he is waiting a report from the coaches who went to Boston with the U21, where Bassong played 60 minutes. A 3-1 defeat suggests that our team did not play very well, and if Bassong''s attitude was at fault it could be that he has not "got his read right".

It''s a great pity, because in his first season he was outstanding and in the Championship he could have been unbeatable.

Well jaemae, Turner is our best defender. He fact you said ''soccer'' already indicates you know nothing about FOOTBALL

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]He was fantastic in his first season, and terrible last season.

[/quote]

He wasn''t terrible. And if he was terrible then there were some others who were as bad or even worse.

I think if people were to watch the season back with an open mind, forgetting what they believe to be Bassong''s attitude and what they believe to be the attitudes of other players, he wouldn''t be singled out in the way he has been.

Let''s face it, if a player with a "poor attitude" gives the ball away he''ll take a lot more stick from the crowd than a player perceived to be a real club man doing the same thing. And that''s the way it was all last season. Bassong took the armband, became a target and other players got off the hook a bit for their mistakes because people were determined to find fault with Bassong.

GJP,

Whilst I agree with your point to a certain extent, a player with a poor attitude giving the ball away is bound to get more stick than one who has a good attitude, simply because the one with the bad attitude could do better with an improved attitude, so therefore his attitude is perceived, probably rightly so, as diminishing the team''s performance unneccessarily, whereas the player with the good attitude will be percieved as doing his best given his ability, so will not get so much stick.

Personally , if we were to have the same performance from 2 players, then I would always select the one with the good attitude and do something to help the other guy work on improving his.

Whether this is happening, who knows, and of course the player himself has to want to buy in or it is a futile exercise.

Indeed. And I of course agree with what you''re saying about attitudes.

But a mistake is a mistake, whether you love playing for Norwich City or not.

So if Bassong has been "terrible" then so have a few others. As far as fan opinion goes I think some players should consider themselves a bit lucky because Bassong and RVW have become the poster boys for an awful season ending in relegation.

But that''s always going to happen. People need a target, someone to direct their disappointment or anger at.

The year before last if I was to say Bassong was too casual sometimes(which I did) people would "correct" me and tell me he''s calm and composed. A year later and that same calmness is now seen as being lazy...

....but if we''d scored an extra 10-15 goals and stayed up it''d still be calmness and composure.

I heard (albeit not from the most reliable source) that every player at Norwich has a clause in their contract, if it''s broken they never play for the club again. Apparently Bassong broke the clause and that''s why he was suddenly dropped last season and is training with the u21''s this season.

[quote user="morty"]Another multiple account reveals itself.[/quote]
haha, there be some strange''uns round here my friend... Have you ever had multiples?

I don''t think Adams is the kind of person who would have sent Bassong to play with the youths for football reasons alone. For me personally, it is not too far of a stretch to be able to imagine Bassong potentially having some choice words at Adams for being told he isn''t playing up to standard and is being removed as captain. Adams isn''t a Roeder when it comes to man management (I hope).

Maybe Gary Holt has told Adams that Bassong hasn''t been training hard enough?

PS; I''m in the ''Bassong was very poor last season'' camp. While I felt he was probably just about our worst CB in terms of performances last year, it was the fact he was Captain and just seems to give up half the time that made him stand out for me.

Yes GJP, a few others have been terrible too. Such as Pilkington, who is also a player with talent who didn''t look bothered. Also with plenty of ability, but without the application and with a poor attitude. If there are any players who are disruptive who don''t want to integrate with the squad and pull together for the greater cause of getting us back in the league above, following the relegation that they played a part in, then we shouldn''t want them here.That is the point that most of us are making, including you. Your very first post on this thread was this.... Clearly doesn''t want to be here anymore. A much more accomplished

centreback than the man who appears to replace him but if his heart

isn''t in it then best for everyone if he moves on.

And despite me and others saying almost exactly the same thing you want to argue with us. Not once have I questioned his ability, I''ve been saying exactly the same thing as you said above in bold.You are picking little snippets that you don''t agree with, and ignoring the majority of the other sentences, which are actually in full agreement with you?I''d be more than happy if Pilkington and Bassong left the club, to be replaced with people who may have a little less natural talent but who have twice the desire, work rate and ambition. Grant Holt was hardly Marco Van Basten. If we are going on ability alone then David Fox would be one of our star player, just so happens that he and the club thought it was best for a change instead.

[quote user="hogesar"]Well jaemae, Turner is our best defender. He fact you said ''soccer'' already indicates you know nothing about FOOTBALL[/quote]

Words are a problem for you, eh? Is fussball better? I''ll start calling it fussball then... You aren''t a very bright person, it''s pretty clear by the entirety of this post. Especially the beyond idiotic first half.

I don''t know what to say. Other than - as i said, your football opinions are incorrect. Opinions can be wrong. Your''s are a perfect example. Statistically and using common sense - everything you say is incorrect.

You spend all your time on here telling people they''re not very bright. Unfortunately, it only really applies to you and a select few. Can''t you go onto a forum for a club you actually support? TWTD, for example.