Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What has Bassong done?

OK so Bassong had a very poor season last season - a shadow of his former self, completely unrecognizable as the player I felt was probably the best defender we''ve ever seen.

Adams immediately froze him out of the team (amongst others) when he took over, though continued to say he was a valued member of the squad and would have a part to play (then played no part).

Stripped of his number 5 shirt and given the uncoveted 30 shirt he has now been officially stripped of the captaincy in an unsurprising move.

Not content with this, Adams now omits him from the first team squad and sends him to play for the Norwich XI.

So why is Bassong being treated like this? Is this simply a way of driving out a player Adams would rather left, making his situation untenable? Or is Bassong being punished for something else?

I had hoped we might be able to coax Bassong the first back out of his shell. This doesnt look even remotely likely, but Im surprised by the ruthlessness of Adams'' man-management when it comes to Bassong. Surely this cant be good for squad morale - Bassong surely will have his supporters and friends within the squad who will not agree with his treatment

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]So why is Bassong being treated like this?[/quote]Or it could be simply the player wants out, so what would be the point of including him?

I suppose, but then why not officially transfer-list him, or make a statement the way Roeder did with Lappin (not that I would condone this).

Why fuel all the mystery and gossip if it was this reasonable an explanation?

Yeah, I suppose thats a plausible reason behind not transfer-listing him - transfer-listing seems to be an out-dated concept these days. Just all seems a bit drastic. Its not like he''s called the club ''a shower of sh*te'' handed in a transfer request or insulted the fans by not celebrating after scoring a goal is it? Unless theres something we dont know about, I fail to see what Bassong has done to warrant this treatment, other than a loss of form, which the vast majority of the team can also be accused of

Maybe Bassong needs some love and an arm round the shoulders. Regardless of what you think of his last season, he was fantastic in his first. Surely we''d all like this version of Bassong back? Im worried Adams'' approach is too similar to Roeder''s - to quote the venerable Eminem ''Dont put out, I''ll throw you out''...

But he doesn''t go back to that. Thats why Spurs sold him to us. He did that for them first season. For us he looked like a player good enough for them. Especially as I believe they were struggling for CBs that season.

Clearly doesn''t want to be here anymore. A much more accomplished centreback than the man who appears to replace him but if his heart isn''t in it then best for everyone if he moves on.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Yeah, I suppose thats a plausible reason behind not transfer-listing him - transfer-listing seems to be an out-dated concept these days. Just all seems a bit drastic. Its not like he''s called the club ''a shower of sh*te'' handed in a transfer request or insulted the fans by not celebrating after scoring a goal is it? Unless theres something we dont know about, I fail to see what Bassong has done to warrant this treatment, other than a loss of form, which the vast majority of the team can also be accused of[/quote]

There undoubtedly it stuff you don''t know about and the club will act in the way they feel best suits their interests. All will become clear in time.

Where have you got these "facts" about Bassong being driven out, exactly?

For me he failed to display the on-field leadership qualities required of the captaincy, the awarding of which was arguably one of Hughton''s biggest mistakes.

I''ll accept he was good at leading the idiotic (albeit rare) post-goal celebrations, but he''s definitely not what I would look for in a captain.

Error-prone, casual and often apparently uninterested, he often appeared by his performances to not really give a Shiite and my feelings towards him are mutual. Would be very happy if we were able to ship him out and maybe, to a lesser degree, Adams feels the same.

I watched the players get off the bus at Fulham, Adams first game in charge.

The bus door had shut and and begun to pull away, until the brakes were applied sharply and the doors re-opened.

Out stumbled Bassong, with his beats headphones on. He stumbled out lazily like someone stepping out of a club at 3am! Seriously, it was embarassing and looked like he''d been asleep on the back seat.

He may not have been in the selected 18 that day, but as team captain on such a big day, he should be taking the lead and geeing the lads up big time, whether he was selected to play or not.

Frankly, his attitude stunk and if I were a betting man, I would say there have been reasons why Adams has decided not to chose him in his squad at the time. Attitude being high up on the list.

Fleck76...I must have been stood next to you outside Fulham because I saw the same thing. Even before that away at Southampton when his ''mentor'' CH stuck him on the bench I couldn''t believe the way he pissed about at half time while the subs were supposed to be warming up.

Nothing worse than seeing a player put the effort in the earn a nice new three year deal, tweet his delight and then put his feet up which is exactly what this guy has done.

Attitude stinks and funnily enough mirrored by his countrymen in the world cup, what a disgrace they were.

All we can hope for is someone is stupid enough to employ Hughton and give him a decent budget, then he can come and get him off our wage bill...

I think there''s a lot we don''t know about behind the scenes. I can fully understand why a guy who left a top5 club to come to us purely because he respected Chris Hughton was annoyed when we appointed an inexperienced caretaker.Mick Dennis made it clearly that the club had been impressed by the way Neil Adams had handled two undisclosed breaches of discipline. I seriously wouldn''t have been surprised if Bassong one of them. Nice guy, but way too laidback at times.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Was he drunk or high on drugs?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/14152f869d_thumb_zpsb77930fc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/14152f869d_thumb_zpsb77930fc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jenkins"]Was he drunk or high on drugs?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/14152f869d_thumb_zpsb77930fc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/14152f869d_thumb_zpsb77930fc.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Is that picture Bassong at Conley? Pretty unprofessional no wonder Adams is pushing him out.

Id completely forgotten about those two breaches of discipline - that was kept very quiet. I thought Gutierrez might have been one of them.

Are we any clearer as to whether the RvW storming out of the stadium and driving off incident actually happened or was BS?

I suppose the behaviour that has been highlighted only goes to show what a terrible piece of judgement it was by Hughton to appoint Bassong captain. Perhaps Hughton knew he had this tendency in him and hoped that by appointing him captain it might cause him to step up and mature a little. If so, then Bassong seriously let Hughton down

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The RVW thing was rubbish, he was sat in the Jarrold with his family watching the game.[/quote]Still managed to miss three sitters.