Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Beyond words....sponsorships in PL

Even more evidence how the gap between the rich and the other 80% year in the PL is getting more and more unfair each season.

Man ute now getting 75 million PER SEASON from just one sponsor , more than our total income from last season.

For sure this is truly spoiling the game we all love

Teams like ours will never ever be able to finish in the top four, as we did in the early year of the PL.

The money side of , if it is still sport, has spoiled everything, this I shown by a poor England team performance.

Well they''ve got to pay 300k a week for a fat balding overrated player!

More fool Adidas IMO!

PS. It was interesting to see that Nike pulled out of their sponsorship once the demands were seen!

Agreed.

Without an overhaul and huge injection of money to attract new expensive players, massive sponsorship deals like that aren''t going to come.

We either moan about it on forums or get on with it.

You aren''t wrong - that Adidas deal for Man U was bonkers when compared to other deals for ''similar'' clubs, there just isn''t a way in for the likes of us any more.

As for the England angle, if you look at the beeb/other media, almost every link to players sought by PL sides is for an overseas player - our own guys just don''t seem to get much of a look in anywhere. It does make you wonder where l the money made in the PL is going as it sure as hell doesn''t seem to be developing many top level youngsters (and most seem to haven come from Southampton who were outside the PL until recently!)

Totally agree Branston and if you look at the transfer rumours any day in the media it seems to be 90% of them centred around foreigner players. No wonder young up and coming English players can''t get on in the game.

Sky sports has a lot to answer for, I find it quite sad being in a league that you have zero % chance of ever winning, and really very little chance of even coming top six.
It stifles clubs of our relative size, as it all becomes about not getting beaten and not getting relegated, which is one of the reasons we employed the previous manager. The rewards are so huge that smaller clubs are afraid to gamble and just go for it.
Really we were just there to make up the numbers.

I wonder how much companies like that pay on advertising (TOTAL) per year, it''s terrifying in this modern world how much gets spent on materialistic things such as which logo appears and where.

But we all subliminally buy in to it, i guess. We''re just lab rats really.

Meh. It''s one obscenely rich company giving large amounts of money to another obscenely rich company. Happens all the time, nothing to get excvited about.

[quote user="morty"]Sky sports has a lot to answer for, I find it quite sad being in a league that you have zero % chance of ever winning, and really very little chance of even coming top six.
It stifles clubs of our relative size, as it all becomes about not getting beaten and not getting relegated, which is one of the reasons we employed the previous manager. The rewards are so huge that smaller clubs are afraid to gamble and just go for it.
[/quote]

This. Hughton was always going to be compared to Lambert. Under Lambert we were the new kid on the block. We wanted everybodies scalp and had no fear of anyone.

That would never have worked second season. Instead we tried to become more solid under Hughton, it was fine for half a season, but then warning signs began to appear and we couldn''t buy a win.

The third season was one of the worst in my 15ish years as a season ticket holder. The fun of going to matches was completely drained. I would wake up on a Saturday morning without that buzz and instead sat there wondering if it was even worth the time and effort going to the match.

The fact is, that''s what Premier League life for a team like us/Swansea/stoke etc. It is about, survival. The owners etc done care how it''s achieved as long as it''s achieved - understandable with 80million on the line - but it will end up driving fans away. How many teams did we see at CR last year happy with a draw?

If you could choose to.watch a team lower end of the Prem or fighting in the Championship, what would give better value for money? Championship, every time.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="morty"]Sky sports has a lot to answer for, I find it quite sad being in a league that you have zero % chance of ever winning, and really very little chance of even coming top six.
[/quote]

This. Hughton was always going to be compared to Lambert. Under Lambert we were the new kid on the block. We wanted everybodies scalp and had no fear of anyone.

That would never have worked second season. Instead we tried to become more solid under Hughton, it was fine for half a season, but then warning signs began to appear and we couldn''t buy a win.

The third season was one of the worst in my 15ish years as a season ticket holder. The fun of going to matches was completely drained. I would wake up on a Saturday morning without that buzz and instead sat there wondering if it was even worth the time and effort going to the match.

The fact is, that''s what Premier League life for a team like us/Swansea/stoke etc. It is about, survival. The owners etc done care how it''s achieved as long as it''s achieved - understandable with 80million on the line - but it will end up driving fans away. How many teams did we see at CR last year happy with a draw?

If you could choose to.watch a team lower end of the Prem or fighting in the Championship, what would give better value for money? Championship, every time.[/quote]
Good stuff, and totally agree re the Championship!

I don''t think Sky have a lot to answer for, I think the Premier League do. There is a high demand for Premier League football so that obviously attracts investors, the problem lies with what is happening with the money, which is being spent on inflated transfer fees, players wages and agents fees. This can evidently be seen with some of the fees and wages be thrown about for average Premier League players.

Now in an ideal word, every Premier League club would receive the same amount of money and it would be a level playing field, but we don''t live in an ideal word and infact the Premier League dish out the money they get from Sky fairly. Now where the problem lies is that very little money gets reinvested into academies and grass roots football. That is a problem the FA and Premier League really need to address. You are always going to get "big teams" and "little teams" like you get large and small business. That is the reality of late modern society.

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]I don''t think Sky have a lot to answer for, I think the Premier League do. There is a high demand for Premier League football so that obviously attracts investors, the problem lies with what is happening with the money, which is being spent on inflated transfer fees, players wages and agents fees. This can evidently be seen with some of the fees and wages be thrown about for average Premier League players.

Now in an ideal word, every Premier League club would receive the same amount of money and it would be a level playing field, but we don''t live in an ideal word and infact the Premier League dish out the money they get from Sky fairly. Now where the problem lies is that very little money gets reinvested into academies and grass roots football. That is a problem the FA and Premier League really need to address. You are always going to get "big teams" and "little teams" like you get large and small business. That is the reality of late modern society.[/quote]
In my opinion the Premier league and Sky are so interwoven, that they are one in the same. Sky have a lot of control over the Premier league.
Too much, in fact.

I''m not so sure, look at arsenal, they don''t have the best of squads by a long way compared to man u, man city, chelski, but they lead the chase for the title for a long time. Spurs in the next few years could be real contenders. Even Everton were talked about in the title race at the hallway stage

The PL bubble is going to burst, its inevitable, when that happens we will find we have a league which has less dollar and hopefully a bit more soul.

I was in the States during the world cup and watched a lot of games in bars there. The local guys were really knowledgable about the Prem and English football. They were surprised at how poor our national team was however. They are told by ESPN and others that the Prem is the best league in the world and thats why it has such a great following there and generates so much revenue.

As the world cup went on I could see the penny begin to drop, England were crap and they did start to question the quality of the English PL. To cap it off you look at the world cup final, how

many players, in the starting line up play in the EPL?.

I would be delighted if the bottom fell out of the PL and took with it a few big club casualties, a model nearer to what we see in Germany with German players playing for German Clubs and the fans enjoying the product, bring it on.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Manchester Canary"]I don''t think Sky have a lot to answer for, I think the Premier League do. There is a high demand for Premier League football so that obviously attracts investors, the problem lies with what is happening with the money, which is being spent on inflated transfer fees, players wages and agents fees. This can evidently be seen with some of the fees and wages be thrown about for average Premier League players.

Now in an ideal word, every Premier League club would receive the same amount of money and it would be a level playing field, but we don''t live in an ideal word and infact the Premier League dish out the money they get from Sky fairly. Now where the problem lies is that very little money gets reinvested into academies and grass roots football. That is a problem the FA and Premier League really need to address. You are always going to get "big teams" and "little teams" like you get large and small business. That is the reality of late modern society.[/quote]
In my opinion the Premier league and Sky are so interwoven, that they are one in the same. Sky have a lot of control over the Premier league.
Too much, in fact.
[/quote]eh ?is that why they allowed BT to hoover up so many games ?as to where the money went I would start with any bank accounts registered in dog''s names