Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

E Benno - our new rightback?

I know this has been discussed a lot on here, and I''m aware that it was only a friendly so not much to be read in to it. but many people have said we need a faster RB to match Olssons pace on the left. with the abundance of wide midfielders, is Martin moving to CB with Turner/R Bennet and Elliot taking his place on the right a high possibility?

Depends how well he tackles and defends really. It''s all very nice having an attacking full back, but their primary task is to defend.

I haven''t seen him play in this position enough to know.

No.
I like Elliot Bennett as a player, I really do but people seem to think that because he is a winger who can defend to a reasonable standard, he ought to play as a full-back. He would be, at best, an emergency option in that position. Yes, he tackles well. Yes, his defensive positioning is adequate and, yes, he is fast but that doesn''t make him a full-back and I think it would severely harm his attacking potential. 
It seems to me that people are basing this idea off of one game played against Bolton were E.Bennett was shoved to RB as an emergency because of severe injury issues in the defence (Naughton had to be pushed to CB). While E.Bennett performed well there, it was a one off situation against one of the worst sides in the division (they got relegated that year) and I can''t believe that people still bring up that he should play that role based off one decent performance that was played against a weak team in an emergency situation.

I have been championing Benno at rightback for years. For me personally its based on far more than one game he played once. Bennett''s progress after an initial season stepping up was blocked by the crab. Nevertheless, he never really showed the flare required to be an exceptional right winger. However, he could be an outstanding rightback. I feel the deficit in his attacking abilities will always hinder him being exceptional in that position, but his attacking qualities and defensive qualities mean he could be great in that position. This should be his future in my opinion, if he''s willing. Olsson was outstanding at full back last season. Bennett has the potential to be every bit as good. I wholeheartedly believe that

Sorry, I meant flair, and that I think he will never be better than an average winger, but that he could be a great full back. The reverse of Bale. Or like that other ''great'' converted winger, kilbane... Think zambrotta moved back to fullback as well

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Sorry, I meant flair, and that I think he will never be better than an average winger, but that he could be a great full back. The reverse of Bale. Or like that other ''great'' converted winger, kilbane... Think zambrotta moved back to fullback as well[/quote]
Bennett will be a very good wide-midfielder if given the opportunity to perform. 
Consider this: Despite suffering from a lack of confidence in his 1st season (caused by a failure to score a goal early on and therefore ''get over'' playing in the premier league) he was still our 3rd highest ''assister''. His second season, despite only making 9 starts, he was our 2nd highest ''assister''. Does this not indicate an ability to create goal-scoring chances in from a wide area, which many would argue is the main role of a wide midfielder?
I was recently watching the 2011-2013 season review DVD (reliving the ''good old days'') and was honestly surprised just how often E. Bennett was involved in creating chances and scoring goals. 
Stoke (H)- 
Beats his defender convincingly, wins the free-kick we score from.
Picks up the ball in right-midfield, delivers an excellent early cross that a Stoke defender nearly puts in his own net.
WBA (H)-
Puts in another difficult cross that a defender misjudges, Johnson goes close with a long-range drive in the aftermath.
Bolton (A)-
Collects ball on the right, drives infield before attempting a long-range shot that GK has to save,
And keep in mind this is the season review DVD, which only shows the goals and the ''best'' chances. There are also plenty more examples of good play from Bennett, including an excellent cross against Swansea that Morison nods back for Pilkington to score. And this was all from a player who was low in confidence, who wasn''t shooting enough or using his pace enough or taking on his full-back enough. 
E.Bennett, if used correctly, will be vital if we are to gain promotion from the Championship and it is clear that to get the best out of him, you need him to play as an attacker.

The season before we signed him didn''t he get some ludicrously high number of assists? 19 or something like that. Sounds a very handy right winger to me.

A good example here of how Adams is looking at flexibility in the squad.

If he is to play Martin in the centre, which seems the case, and he wants to have the option of a diamond, the theory of this formation is to have two attack minded pacy full backs with the ability to cross.

Therefore the diamond suits both Bennett and Ollson''s natural game, whilst the system provides the holding player to cover. If we go 4-4-2 then I assume Bennett will revert wide.

Seems sensible and positive by Adams to look at formation and different players for positions, we''re not used to it!!!!

That was at league one level though, where he was clearly a cut above. I like Bennett, but I think he has attributes all over the shop, not just those that suit right wing. Most wingers have no defensive ability or willingness, think hucks, pilks and Redmond. Bennett by contrast has the pace, the attitude, the strength in the tackle, the positioning, the work rate and the discipline to do the hard and dirty work of defending very effectively, whilst of course being better than most rightbacks at going forward. He can be our right sided Olsson. Right back for me

At the moment He must be pushing Redmond very closely for the right wing berth. Benno can certainly cross a ball better than Redders.In shooting there is not much to choose, nor in pace. Redders has the edge when it comes to dribbling.

Benno is a confidence player, and needs regular performance. Last season he started very well, but was brought down by the dreadful injury. It will be interesting to see how he plays this summer, after the long lay-off.

Benno at right back? He would certainly have the pace of any opposing winger, something we have lacked at RB, and he is already a better tackler than Redders. Neither is particularly tall, which is an asset for a full back when it comes to heading in defence. As it seems possible that Martin could play at centre back, I would rate Benno in prospect certainly worth the chance at RB. He is certainly quicker than Whittaker, both in attacking and defending, and he probably lacks little in actually tackling.

If we sign no new RB, then Benno should come into consideration.

I''m not convinced of Benno as a winger, to be fair.

And not sure about him as a converted rightback wither, but I think he has more in him as a rightback than a right winger, as I dont think he is creative enough.

We have not seen it much (not since the famous away win at Tottenham under Lambert), when Benno played central, at the top of a diamond, I belive. He had a very good game that day, and ran Spurs ragged.

I would like to see Benno, in certain games, get a chance centrally, espescially in away games were we need pace up front, looking to hit on the break.

I also think Benno could be a good sub from 60-70 mins on, when leading in away games and looking to pounce on the break.

I just feel Benno has a lot to prove as a right winger, in his decisionmaking, assists, crossing, etc. We know he can shoot, but he rarely gets in shooting positions from the right wing. Will do more often centrally, of given the chance.

[quote user="lharman7"]Think he would be wasted if played there![/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

IMO, Benno is a useful RW who can also play at RB/WB if needed. That might be enough cover for Whittaker given that Martin can also cover there and at CB. At RB/WB, he could also be useful when we''re trying to break down stubborn defences, especially at home and his pace certainly allows him to stay with any pacey opposition winger.

Nice guy but think he belongs on the bench as a right sided utility player. We have better wingers and right backs than him in the squad.