Sign in to follow this  
morty

Go with what we have.

I''d have Holty back on a 12 month contract at a reasonable wage just for the feel good factor he''d bring with him, he''d be great to have in the dressing room too.

I reckon Holty would make a great manager too. He doesn''t come across as the brightest button in the box but his footballing mentality and brain would make him stand out. He also knows the football league better than anyone bar probably Steve Claridge (who has played for everyone along with Trever Benjamin!). He''d be an inspiration for all the lower league players as well. It''s just a shame he never even got one England cap that he deserved in the run up to the Euros.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. I''m happy to go with what we''ve got. Even Bassong. I''d imagine there''s little point keeping Becchio if he''s not interested but if we swap him for another centre back I think we''re ready.

We could learn from Liverpool and the Suarez saga with our players. Last season they finished 7th and that''s unacceptable for a player of his standard (without bringing personality into it) but they held onto him and didn''t relent to the £40m + 1p bids. One year later and they are getting double that figure nearly and the player stuck around to get them into the Champions League.

This is why we need to tell our players that they will not be sold this summer and then say that if we''re still stuck here next summer, we''ll accept decent bids for them.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''d have Holty back on a 12 month contract at a reasonable wage just for the feel good factor he''d bring with him, he''d be great to have in the dressing room too.[/quote]
Who says he was popular in the dressing room?

You''re welcome Fuzzar. Hooper''s obviously got the ability, but that waistline speaks volumes (!) about his attitude. Personally I''d let him go.

Russell looked OK at CB, but not sure against Champs attacks. Did OK when called upon by Lambert though - remember the game when we ended up with him & Naughton in the middle? I think we won? Hell of a game!

Whittaker looked quite good, but he does fancy his dribbling skills too much. Needs to look up & pick a pass - possession is paramount these days.

I agree though, defence is the main problem.

But My God, Murphy was impressive.

I also would go with the present squad, except perhaps for another ACM, though Wes looks good again in the diamond formation. If players leave, then a replacement will be needed. Snodgrass was different, given that Hull were willing to pay over the odds and it was enough to pay for both Lafferty and Grabban. IMO, Adams wants to have more pace on the flanks than Snods'' has. It''s also good to see Surman slotting in effectively on the left side of the diamond. He''s like another signing this year. It''s beginning to look like Adams is going to use both the diamond and a 4-4-2, which could also allow for some natural rotation of players (ie. Wes and Surman playing in the diamond, but not in the 4-4-2). the choice of strikers would probably also change.

I think you have to be careful about bringing back the types of player like Grant Holt. Whilst he was a great influence back then would he disrupt what has been built since.He won''t be returning to the same dressing room. He never played with Hooper, RVW, Grabban, Lafferty, Fer, Redmond and other players that joined since he left.Plus the ego side of things - even if he is not a brash character, will the others he did play with accept him back so willingly?I agree with the most part, with Morty.Right now, if we keep what we have, we''ll have a decent squad. Possibly one defender shy. But again, we are in a position to call the shots with our players.If you believe in ''no smoke without fire'' and the hints that Adam''s has left suggesting clubs have been interested in our players but been told to look elsewhere, we have already batted back interest in some of our players.I''d really not want to lose too many more. Even two is a stretch when you consider that if we lost Fer - we''d lose a quality central midfielder that we''d need to replace. If we lost Redmond we''d lose one of the few players we have with outright pace who alone can force teams to sit a little deeper or play a high line at their own peril.

Yeah, I agree with the original point of this thread. This squad is more than good enough for the championship. As long as you have the right manager who''s able to get the players all pulling in one direction, tactically aware and coaching the players well, then there is more than enough talent to get this squad promoted.
I would argue that we could do with another RB. With Martins conversion to CB, we only have Whittaker as a first-team RB. If we can bring another one in to really push Whittaker for his place, then the only reason to buy anyone else would be to replace players that move on themselves.

I think we need a commanding CB. Bassong seems to have taken himself out of favour. But for me when Turner and Bennett were playing alongside him they looked better players than when they had another CB partner.

A question mark must remain over RvW. Great that he got two goals but they were hardly world beaters! But maybe what he needed to get his confidence on the rise. A firing RvW would greatly improve our promotion chances.

If we can keep the rest of the squad together - well we deemed it good enough for the premiership, so it should be competitive in the championship.

But with 6 weeks to go till the window closes it remains a big if that we can keep the squad together.

Nearly field 2 very strobg sides for the championship.

Ruddy - Bunn

Whittaker -

Martin - R.Bennett

Turner - Gafaiti

Olsson - Garrido

E.Bennett - Pilkington

Howson - Hoolahan

Tettey - Johnson

Redmond - Surman

Hooper - RVW

Lafferty - Grabban

Plus Rudd, Murphy, Loza

Thats assuming Bassong & Becchio are surplus and Fer goes which i would expect to happen.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''d have Holty back on a 12 month contract at a reasonable wage just for the feel good factor he''d bring with him, he''d be great to have in the dressing room too.[/quote]

[/quote]

now this is why you are unpopular with quite a few posters here Morts, you feel the need to question people all the time. Given that Holty could lift the whole team if he came on as a sub during his time at Norwich it''s a fair bet that he was popular in the dressing room. Another example being the youth FA cup run and the way Holty could convince pretty much the whole first team to turn up and support the younger lads also suggests he was popular but of course you know all this but still had to question Brownstones post.  Now you''ve upset me because I have a personal rule of ignoring any thread started by either you or LDC and I''ve just broken that rule.[:|][:P]

I think we need fresh blood, this team has been used to losing and so I think a wide player and attacking midfielder are needed in defence it would be good to pick up a good centre half.

I think we can all agree that bassong won''t be on the bench so we may need another centre half

[quote user="InchY Van Dogs Dangly."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''d have Holty back on a 12 month contract at a reasonable wage just for the feel good factor he''d bring with him, he''d be great to have in the dressing room too.[/quote]

[/quote]

now this is why you are unpopular with quite a few posters here Morts, you feel the need to question people all the time. Given that Holty could lift the whole team if he came on as a sub during his time at Norwich it''s a fair bet that he was popular in the dressing room. Another example being the youth FA cup run and the way Holty could convince pretty much the whole first team to turn up and support the younger lads also suggests he was popular but of course you know all this but still had to question Brownstones post.  Now you''ve upset me because I have a personal rule of ignoring any thread started by either you or LDC and I''ve just broken that rule.[:|][:P]

[/quote]
I don''t deny anything you say there, but I would bet that he wasnt perhaps as universally popular as people perhaps might thing. You hear various snippets about various players, you know how it is. I think mcnally saw him as too big for his boots.

And being able to lift that team then is a different challenge to now.

A lot of those players were veterans of two promotions, had come from a lower level of Footy and perhaps perceived Holt as a bit of a focal point of their success.

Bringing him back now would be different. Not all of the players know him. He hasn''t been through what they did last season, and he hasn''t done a lot in that time either.