Sign in to follow this  
morty

Go with what we have.

Looking at the two teams we fielded in the friendly, if we can keep this squad together, we have one hell of a squad for the Championship.Even if, worst case scenario, we lose two of our stars, and have 10 million in our back pocket to spend, I am very confident we will be there, or thereabouts next season.With the youth coming through too, we really have a lot of good players at our disposal.

You''re being far too positive for this forum!!!!!

But yes I agree, we''ve got a great variety of players and can play a number of systems next season. I think we have enough to bounce back.

Oh dear, are you upset because no one posted in the thread you started earlier?[{][}]

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]You''re being far too positive for this forum!!!!!

But yes I agree, we''ve got a great variety of players and can play a number of systems next season. I think we have enough to bounce back.[/quote]I''m always positive, I''m known for it[:)]

Lafferty looks a good signing so far - the type of striker we were missing last season even if only in terms of size.

RVW just seems to want to be here, to prove his point - that imo is a good thing, especially if he plays alongside Lafferty. Let Lafferty drop deeper, win flick ons, hold the ball up. Let RVW get on with sticking it in the net. Too many times last season he was asked to do a role he just isn''t suited to.

Hooper I think will have his head turned by QPR - I actually think he got off with it last season due to RVW. out of the 2 I would stick with RvW.

Midfield looks solid - I have always like Surman and he will be like a new signing, especially if he plays left of a diamond. Fer I can see moving on, Howson is the key this season I think. We have options to play diamond or flat 4 with wide men.

Defence I think we could do with reinforcements. I would let Bassong go, maybe need a RB to cover Whittaker if Martin plays CB. Olsson, if we keep him (big if) will be one of the best players in this league

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Lafferty looks a good signing so far - the type of striker we were missing last season even if only in terms of size.

RVW just seems to want to be here, to prove his point - that imo is a good thing, especially if he plays alongside Lafferty. Let Lafferty drop deeper, win flick ons, hold the ball up. Let RVW get on with sticking it in the net. Too many times last season he was asked to do a role he just isn''t suited to.

Hooper I think will have his head turned by QPR - I actually think he got off with it last season due to RVW. out of the 2 I would stick with RvW.

Midfield looks solid - I have always like Surman and he will be like a new signing, especially if he plays left of a diamond. Fer I can see moving on, Howson is the key this season I think. We have options to play diamond or flat 4 with wide men.

Defence I think we could do with reinforcements. I would let Bassong go, maybe need a RB to cover Whittaker if Martin plays CB. Olsson, if we keep him (big if) will be one of the best players in this league[/quote]If Hooper and Bassong is all we lose I would be more than pleased.A strikeforce of Lafferty, Grabban, Van Wolfswinkel and Loza will be more than good enough. I''m obviously assuming Becchio is off.If we can get 8 million for Hooper, and maybe 750k for Bassong, and about 40 pence for Becchio then that will fund a few more quality players.Hearing lots of love for Surman tonight, like you say, he''ll be like a new signing.

I agree with everything posted

The only problem is a squad of 25/26 is not enough depth, I believe QPR used 36/37 players last season

We need to add another 3/4 faces and then top up with quality loans if required once the window opens in September

[quote user="Newton"]I agree with everything posted

The only problem is a squad of 25/26 is not enough depth, I believe QPR used 36/37 players last season

We need to add another 3/4 faces and then top up with quality loans if required once the window opens in September[/quote]It depends how much actual quality you have in the depth though.Bar the few we expect to lose, we really don''t have many squad members that are just "fillers" and I can''t think of anyone that would look out of place in the first 11.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zps71d0a676.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zps71d0a676.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Fundamentally agree with the "go with what we have". The club is competitive on all fronts at this level.The additions so far look useful. Further additions likely. Hopefully without re-igniting the debate; the Snodgrass exit suited all parties. If anybody else leaves it will be on the clubs terms - the happiest situation the club has been in, at least in my lifetime.And then I read today that since Man City won in 2002, all ante-post Championship favourites have failed to oblige. Currently that''s Cardiff. Could easily see Fulham imploding (2nd favs). Leaves Derby and us for the auto spots. What?! A man can dream can''t he!

[quote user="Your mother"]Fundamentally agree with the "go with what we have". The club is competitive on all fronts at this level.The additions so far look useful. Further additions likely. Hopefully without re-igniting the debate; the Snodgrass exit suited all parties. If anybody else leaves it will be on the clubs terms - the happiest situation the club has been in, at least in my lifetime.And then I read today that since Man City won in 2002, all ante-post Championship favourites have failed to oblige. Currently that''s Cardiff. Could easily see Fulham imploding (2nd favs). Leaves Derby and us for the auto spots. What?! A man can dream can''t he!

[/quote]Agree re Snodgrass, although I rate him, we had to change the way we play, so like you say, it suited both parties.

If we can keep everyone bar Bechio and Bassong, who seem to be on their way out, I''d say its a strong enough squad.

I do have a concern over defence, could do with one more player RB or CB as its looking a bit light on numbers even though every position is covered well.

I honestly expect more departures though and hope we have suitable replacement options in mind.

Seeing mutterings on twitter about "bring Holty home"Sorry Grant, but I think Lafferty has filled the "big lump" role.

I thought similar last night on this, the two line ups were very decent, we do have a very strong squad all things considered. The only thing of course though, is if we do lose a few more, and it is very possible, that they are replaced, otherwise we will be short and that second eleven will not be strong enough....stating the obvious, sorry about that.

As for "bring Holty home".......the first time it was muted I was up for it......but now I have had time to think about it, then despite what he DID achieve, I cant see a return working to any great effect, we probably had his best days, plus I agree Morty, Lafferty certainly appears to have filled that role....he will be a big problem for opposition defences no doubt.

IF no one else is sold, I agree, our squad would be brilliant for this division, but IF is a bloody big word in this context.

Few thoughts:

Hooper looked embarrassing. Moobs, roll of fat round the middle, couldn''t be arsed for the first ten minutes.

Then he got a ball on the right (near me), controlled it with the outside of his boot, stretched his stubby little pins impossibly & left his man for dead. Lovely ball through to Wes, "one more!" Shouts Surman, Wes obliges, Surman scores. Impressed.

Lafferty was a big KKesque lump. The original awkward customer. He''ll go from risible to heroic goal scorer in the space of a few minutes. Handy player to have.

Wes was as infuriating as ever. Most gifted player at the club, just loves playing football. All over the place (literally), gave the ball away for their goal - he shouldn''t have been there! Doh!

Not impressed with the bits I saw of Howson..

Loza ...... not there yet I think.

Garrido very classy. Kept being ignored in good positions.

RvW utter class. how he''ll get on against The Big Boys I wouldn''t like to say.

Grabban not in sync with the team.

BJ actually very impressive. Powerful & pretty athletic. Could be good at this level.

I love EB to bits, but oh dear .....

Murphy. Murphy, Murphy, Murphy. The Real Deal. If any of our youngsters is going to make it big, he''s the one.

Lot of players I never got a decent look at unfortunately, so no comments (obviously).

Braintree were extremely lively. Hit the post first half (& bar?). Bit worrying the way they cut through us at times. Don''t know how much their goal was down to Bunny.

Game improved as it went on, but all a bit too jumpers for goalposts to be able to make proper judgements.

Finally,John Robertson - sorry, Gary Hooper - definitely needs to go easy on the pies. Fatter than I ever saw Fatty Holt.

[quote user="Wiz"]IF no one else is sold, I agree, our squad would be brilliant for this division, but IF is a bloody big word in this context.[/quote]

It isn''t if you don''t put it in capitals.

adams interview says he wants to add to the squad so there will be further changes yet.

Interesting read thanks Ron. Sounds as though we could let Hooper go and free up the space for a couple of new signings...

Our defence concerns me, especially centre and right back. Assuming Bassong will go, I don''t see Martin as a central defender and remain very unconvinced by Whittaker. A new right back to offer competition to Martin and a new centre half please, with Gaffaiti as additional back up.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Wiz"]IF no one else is sold, I agree, our squad would be brilliant for this division, but IF is a bloody big word in this context.[/quote]

[/quote]
[:D]

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to use capitals rigor so dimwit thread spoilers like you get the point.[:|]

[quote user="morty"]Seeing mutterings on twitter about "bring Holty home"

Sorry Grant, but I think Lafferty has filled the "big lump" role.
[/quote]

I''m in Carlisle today and the guys here are putting two and two together and making six, they reckon that Holt has been told by Wigan he can find another club and they won''t ask for a fee and the Carlisle assistant manager left the club yesterday by ''mutual consent'', this leaves the door open for Holt to realise his dream of playing for Carlisle by taking a player/coach role.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="morty"]Seeing mutterings on twitter about "bring Holty home"Sorry Grant, but I think Lafferty has filled the "big lump" role.[/quote]

I''m in Carlisle today and the guys here are putting two and two together and making six, they reckon that Holt has been told by Wigan he can find another club and they won''t ask for a fee and the Carlisle assistant manager left the club yesterday by ''mutual consent'', this leaves the door open for Holt to realise his dream of playing for Carlisle by taking a player/coach role.

[/quote]
Its not as far fetched as some of the stuff I read on here!

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to use capitals rigor so dimwit thread spoilers like you get the point.[:|]

[/quote]
Aww, is someone needing some morty attention?
[:(]

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He deserves to have that dream come true imo, good luck Grant.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that would be an ideal finale to his career. I reckon he thinks he has another season of championship football left in him though.