Sign in to follow this  

Very good with the ball and covers the ground superbly,   was missed as an option last season.     IMO only Fer better than him and has the ability to play as a wide left, but not winger,  (as he did in the prem) or central midfielder.   Does lack a little pace but positional awareness and quick brain and feet more than compensate for that if pace is elsewhere in the team.

Once Fer has gone I would want Surman to be the cm we build around.

Surman as CM would need a bully around him to protect his back, as he will easily be overrun, and brushed asides in scrappy games.

In games when we are bossing it though, Surman is a gem with his vision and passing.

IMO, his best position is on the left side in the diamond, and he looked good playing there at Braintree. Useful CM/ACM as well and apparently did well there at Bournemouth. Also agree that his return is like signing a new player (ie. one player out and 3 in looks OK so far. It''s also interesting what Surs says about Adams and the team:

“We have more than enough in this dressing room to be in the Premier League. That is the main aim and that is the attitude we are taking into games,” he said. “We have some decent players and good characters in the dressing room. When you first come back in everyone is on a downer after the relegation but the manager has had a few meetings and made it clear that is in the past and that has gone now.

“Things can change so quickly in football. It was disappointing last season with what happened and the manager leaving but everyone is behind Neil. He has put his stamp on things and we all know what he wants. I’ve played the diamond before when we got promoted and playing with Jonno (Bradley Johnson) sitting and Wes (Hoolahan) and Jonny Howson in there I thought we linked quite well (at Braintree). It’s easy to play that role when you have done it before and I have enjoyed the first two games. It proves we have a lot of good players.”

It isn''t really one out though is it, because we released Camp and Fox, and Yobo, Elmander and Guiterrez went home. And if we count Surman as in then we must also count Rudd as in.

OUTCampFoxElmanderYoboGuiterrezSnodgrassINRuddSurmanGrabbanLaffertySo 6 out and 4 in.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"] It''s also interesting what Surs says about Adams and the team:

“We have more than enough in this dressing room to be in the Premier League. That is the main aim and that is the attitude we are taking into games,” he said. [/quote]

Not so sure about this apparant attitude in the dressingroom. Could well become arrogance, and if we get a difficult start, players may start to think they are better than they actually are.

Are Surman and co prepared to dig in on a greasy wet pitch at Charlton in midwinter?

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"] It''s also interesting what Surs says about Adams and the team: “We have more than enough in this dressing room to be in the Premier League. That is the main aim and that is the attitude we are taking into games,” he said. [/quote] Not so sure about this apparant attitude in the dressingroom. Could well become arrogance, and if we get a difficult start, players may start to think they are better than they actually are. Are Surman and co prepared to dig in on a greasy wet pitch at Charlton in midwinter?[/quote]

Would you prefer him to say "There''s a few in there I think are a bit cr*p and I think we''ll struggle to get promoted" ?

No, but rather something like: "We believe we are going to challenge "up there", and got a good mood in the squad"....etc..etc

I like Surman. Not sure if he''d have made a significant difference last season but he is a good player. He''s proven he can perform in the Premiership in the right position and formation too.

If anything, the main thing which held him back with us was him not having any real pace. Which was only really a problem because we already massively lacked pace from everywhere other than Elliot Bennett and Simeon Jackson.

I don''t think you necessarily need pure pace on both flanks. If you have the likes of Grabban, Elliot Bennett, Nathan Redmond etc - you can afford to have a slower player but with superior technical ability in your team.

I like surman and think he can do well in a certain type of setup

Got a feeling he''s going to be the "Cody McDonald"of this season. The guy on the fringes not getting enough game time. The one the 400 year old canary callers moan is better than messi during the post match phone in.

"Hullo neyul??!!!1111??!!21!? Who bawt dat ann druu sermon, eh? Whenya gorn give tha lad his goo?

Are ya their neyull???!

Stop situn on tah fence neyull!!"

Brushed aside easily?Wes, Fox and Redmond could all be put well ahead of Surman in terms of lack of strength, possibly Howson too. He''s not a defensive midfielder but he is not the midfield fairy some people are making him out to be.

I agree with that. Surman uses his ball skills and ability to read the game to position himself well and avoid the need for lunging tackles. Like Wes, he offers options that most other players don''t.