Sign in to follow this  

Started tonight and scored. Could he be our Simon Lappin, in from the cold?Hasn''t played for us since January 26th 2013, in the 1-0 loss to Luton in the FA Cup, and just 7 appearances for us under Hughton. People forget that he played 23 times for us in our first Premier League season and scored 5 goals. Just played a full season at Bournemouth deeper in midfield than he would have played for us under Lambert, the man has always had an eye for a pass and perhaps room for a player like that in an attacking team?

Surman''s a handy player in The Championship.

Redmond, Bennett, Surman and Pilks isn''t a bad set of Championship wide men.

Needs to play in a more central role more often to really get the best out of him. Played his best stuff under Lambert on the left of a diamond and performed well for Bournemouth last season as part of the central duo in a 4-4-2.

Thought it was a mistake not having in the squad last season. He''s a good technician, he has a bit of quality on the ball.

And apart from his own individual ability generally we always looked like we could be a light in that area. Tettey can''t stay fit for a full season, Fer was a newcomer to the league and country and Johnson... can''t pass.

Some time away from the team might have helped some of us fans appreciate a "pass and move" player abit more. even if he''s alittle light weight defensively.

Nice finish tonight. Assuming Tettey plays I would pick Surman over Johnson any day of the week. Eddie Howe seemed very keen to have him back for this upcoming season so I think that says a lot

[quote user="dhalsimsrightfoot"]Nice finish tonight. Assuming Tettey plays I would pick Surman over Johnson any day of the week. Eddie Howe seemed very keen to have him back for this upcoming season so I think that says a lot[/quote]

Yep I agree. Surman needs to be kept and I think he will be a key player for us.

The point is that Lappin was brought in from the cold to play a part in our rebuilding after being discarded by a previous manager. So not sure what Surman being better than Lappin has to do with anything, we are talking about completely different divisions anyway.

I still think Surman has a lot to give. He''ll be 28 soon and so is at the peak of his career now and will be for a few more years yet.One of the most underated players we have had in my eyes. The last couple of seasons people have gone on about Fox and how he should have been in the team. For his assists and goals, Surman was a far more valuable asset if you ask me.

I really hope he impresses Neeyul during pre-season. I have always thought very highly of surman. From what I''ve heard from Bournemouth fans, he was very good last year in a more central position so it will be very interesting to see what he can do if given another chance here!

the other reason i like surman is that autocorrect tries to change his name to superman.

My opinion is that if Surman had a bit more pace about him he would easily be a bottom half Prem player. The tactical side is there, the skillful side is there, he just lacks that extra yard of pace. For the Championship he is a top quality player, and I personally hope he is in the plans for next season.

I suspect that Hughton exiled him because he had a reputation of being slight and not a great tackler - obviously not defensive enough, and perhaps Hughton felt that we couldn''t carry both Surman and Wes defensively.

Bournemouth have used him in the centre, whereas Lambert had tended to play him wide left. There is little doubt that the Cgerries would have tried to obtain him from us for a small fee. I think that he is too good for that. He has some deft touches and created many chances for us. He also weighed in with useful goals.

He was always happy to get back into defence, and covered a big distance in most games in the process, often the leading distance in the team.

I doubt that we would want to play both Wes and Surs at the same time, unless we were desperate to equalise, but they offer slightly different things, while both being very creative.

He is an excellent player but can be a bit ineffectual in matches and on an off day will give the ball away as much as any of our lesser able passers of the ball. But at his best - and to be at his best he needs the players around him to be switched on and make intelligent runs - at his best he is as good a midfield player as anyone we''ve got.

He is another like Hoolahan, that can be difficult to place into a team, he found himself surplus here because we stopped playing the diamond as often, and he was a bit too lightweight centrally. That said he had a good season, playing centrally a lot of the time.
But ultimately he falls into the category of " maybe not quite good enough for the Premiership"
But a perfectly adequate squad player, for this season at least.

Good player, especially at championship level. Took his goal well against Braintree and we need more goals from midfield. I recall some good performances in the prem too.

[quote user="Salopian"]Lambert had tended to play him wide left.[/quote]
Not really, he played him on the left of a diamond which is actually qutie a central role, similar to playing on the left of the midfield 3 in a 4-3-3

[quote user="Canaries Web"]Good player, especially at championship level. Took his goal well against Braintree and we need more goals from midfield. I recall some good performances in the prem too.[/quote]

Wolves away, three seasons ago in the prem was his best game for us - super goal too. 

Now when do we play Wolves..........[:^)]

[quote user="morty"]He is another like Hoolahan, that can be difficult to place into a team, he found himself surplus here because we stopped playing the diamond as often, and he was a bit too lightweight centrally. That said he had a good season, playing centrally a lot of the time.
But ultimately he falls into the category of " maybe not quite good enough for the Premiership"
[/quote]

He looked good enough to me in our first season. Scored 5 goals of I remember correctly. And was one of our better players, linked to a move to Newcastle at the time.

Probally falls into the category of "good enough for the premiership but my manger was clueless"

Great player loling forward to having him back. Like a new signing.

[quote user="morty"]He is another like Hoolahan, that can be difficult to place into a team, he found himself surplus here because we stopped playing the diamond as often, and he was a bit too lightweight centrally. That said he had a good season, playing centrally a lot of the time.
[/quote]

He looked good enough to me in our first season. Scored 5 goals of I remember correctly. And was one of our better players, linked to a move to Newcastle at the time.

Probally falls into the category of "good enough for the premiership but my manger was clueless"

Great player loling forward to having him back. Like a new signing.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Canaries Web"]Good player, especially at championship level. Took his goal well against Braintree and we need more goals from midfield. I recall some good performances in the prem too.[/quote]

Wolves away, three seasons ago in the prem was his best game for us - super goal too. 

Now when do we play Wolves..........[:^)]

[/quote]

Swansea away he was class too. His link up play with Hoolahan and Pilkington was class.

For those that say he is not good enough for the prem - take a look at the first season stats. As others have said, that season he mainly played as a midfielder rather than a wide man.That said, and it has been said by many before, as a wideman, if you haven''t got the outright pace to beat your man every time, you have to have the skill and the delivery. Beckham is a good example of this, making the right runs at the right time or a touch of class to give himself space to deliver a decent ball.Surman is a quality deliverer of a ball from wide areas. He is also unselfish. I really hope he is used this season and he proves that Hughton was wrong about him.As for being a lightweight - he never has been, as has been pointed out, covering more ground than most players in our team in the first premier league season and even in the champs he got stuck in. He''s just unlikely to go for a ''crunching'' tackle. But then what do you want? A team of Johnson''s?

I think Surman was made to play that central left role. The diamond suits him, as would a 433. He is a technically gifted player though and was touted for big things as a youngster at Southampton. Maybe he''s one whos versatility has led to him not developing in to quite the player he could have been? Hopefully that spell at Bournemouth has done him the world of good. I''m certainly glad to see him be given an opportunity.

Bournemouth wanted him and would possibly have approached £1m for his services (rumours @ £800, 000.)

He was reportedly quite keen to remain in the area and at that club.

We paid £3m for Grabban, a Bournemouth player, yet Surman was not part of that business, whereas he could easily have been.

It suggests to me that Adams sees a role for Andrew Surman this coming season.

Personally, I see it as a backward step. AS might well be useful next season but I would have preferred it if our scouting system had have come up with a newby ''creative'' midfielder to discuss rather than recalling Surman''s obvious limitations.  

Doesn''t he have one year left on his contract?  If he is to stay, he would surely need to be offered a new one.   Otherwise, as with Snodgrass, he may be worth more to sell now.   Having said that, I like him as a player - at his best - and would prefer him to stay and play apart in another successful promotion.

[quote user="Huh"]My opinion is that if Surman had a bit more pace about him he would easily be a bottom half Prem player. The tactical side is there, the skillful side is there, he just lacks that extra yard of pace. For the Championship he is a top quality player, and I personally hope he is in the plans for next season.[/quote]

Second this. It is his lack of pace that worries me too. Very accomplished player, skillful, can pick a pass, etc. Not so sure about his defensive skills though. Seems to be brushed off the ball easily.

Handy player to have, not sure he is a starter though, but an alternative on the left, espescially in the diamond formation.

Got a feeling he will have quite a few assists if given the nod, espescially in games at Carra Rud, where we are expected to boss the games.