Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

First impressions

With only two games played it''s hard to get a full scale of what the new arrivals can do, but how are you feeling with the signings so far.

From the tiny bit I''ve seen, Lafferty looks promising. No sign of Grabban as of yet.

Thank you Herman, the only person to not be a c*ck on the post, I agree, laffertys free kick was very coolly taken, I hope we can keep him under the reins considering his reputation.

Fair enough. I like the attacking diamond, the look of Lafferty and the fact he is giving Hooper and RVW a chance. I am glad to see Surman being used properly and to see E Bennett back. Not sure about Martin as CB. Let''s go with what we have currently got as it looks enough.

It''s the question of ''might be usefuls'' or ''results-getting players.''

I see the signing of Lafferty and the retention of Surman as being in the former category. I think that Grabban could well be ''a bit of alright.'' and get us lots of lovely points.

"I like the attacking diamond, the look of Lafferty and the fact he is giving Hooper and RVW a chance. I am glad to see Surman being used properly and to see E Bennett back. Not sure about Martin as CB. Let''s go with what we have currently got as it looks enough."

I agree with all of that and with Benno and Surman coming back it''s like having 4 new players rather than 2. They also know the other players and won''t need time to ''gel'', so I''m happy so far. It''s also interesting about Surman''s take on Adams an the team:

“We have more than enough in this dressing room to be in the Premier League. That is the main aim and that is the attitude we are taking into games. We have some decent players and good characters in the dressing room. When you first come back in everyone is on a downer after the relegation but the manager has had a few meetings and made it clear that is in the past and that has gone now. Things can change so quickly in football. It was disappointing last season with what happened and the manager leaving but everyone is behind Neil. He has put his stamp on things and we all know what he wants. I’ve played the diamond before when we got promoted and playing with Jonno (Bradley Johnson) sitting and Wes (Hoolahan) and Jonny Howson in there I thought we linked quite well (at Braintree). It’s easy to play that role when you have done it before and I have enjoyed the first two games. It proves we have a lot of good players.”

Word from the players is that there is a real happy buzz about the club again.

I think it''s also worth remembering that Adams has been involved with City for a long time. He''s seen what worked and didn''t work under both Lambert and Hughton and has planned his tactics accordingly. The re-introduction of the diamond, for example. Knowing that Wes, Surman, Howson and Johnson had all played it effectively under Lambert, he has had them doing that again in the first two games. It''s only one approach though, and he''s said that he will be flexible and vary it to keep the opposition guessing.

Lafferty - like his work rate, will add something different. He seems about the same height as Ruddy and Turner, so is something a bit different.

Grabban - hard working and pacy. Can''t judge on 45 minutes of football.

RVW - will get into positions to score and would benefit for Josh Murphy being on the left wing and developing an understanding with him.

Wes - looked up for it.

Murphy - look more dangerous on the left than Redmond did on the right.

What struck me the most against Braintree was how the forwards were moving a lot more. They didn''t have a definite shape as such and we making runs in behind and dropping off to collect the ball at will. If they continue to play this way, and with players like Wes, Murphy, Redmond, Howson and Surman breaking from midfield, I can see us causing teams a lot of problems in this league.

Finally a word about Johnson. Seemed to play a slightly different role, where he was less inclined to go for big passes and shots, and more inclined to keep it simple. If he continues to develop this, we''ll be in for his best season at the club.

I think its more about who goes than who we get in. Its great to see some new faces to freshen up the squad (I include Surman in that, great to have him back) We need to try and keep the players we have, of course there will departures which at the moment is looking like Becchio and Bassong (hopefully not, but departures are inevitable unfortunately). Its nice to see wes back to his best again (only against braintree, but I mean in terms of work rate). Overall I am quite excited for the new season, especially with us being the favourites and it will be interesting to see how Neil Adams does. I think Grabban will be our S. Jackson from a few years ago, so very valuable. Most importantly, looking forward to seeing how many goals hooper and RVW get, as well as what formations and tactics neil looks to put out. He says possession and attacking football, if he pulls it off then hats off to him. Good Luck.

I have no more than a peripheral interest until the real stuff starts. My experience is that as regards a pointer to how the season will go, these results tell you bugger all.