Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Snodgrass overpriced - Bruce

"Bruce says he is aware their continental counterparts would be priced

more competitively but does not yet have the scouting network to gamble
."as hereOne of the downsides of simply throwing money to get promotedWill struggle this season, more so given they are playing numerous silly european games

Thing with Snodgrass though, is it wasn''t the fact that he''s British that he was overpriced. It''s funny how the tag is usually that English players are overpriced but we''ll change it here to fit our agenda.

Regardless of nationality, Hull have bought a player who was very good in the Championship, a player who was very good in his first season in the prem, and good in his second season.

He was the runner up for our player of the season in his first season and he was our player of the season (albeit in a very bad side) in his second season.

He is 26, is still to reach his prime and we didn''t really want to sell him.

You paid over the odds because of all the above, not because he''s Scottish!

Well yeah its a fair point because players lke Kroos & Khedira are going for around the £20m mark and players like Lallana are going for the same fee. Andy Carroll cost more for Liverpool than what Liverpool paid for Suarez and the same sorta fee as Man City paid for Aguero. I mean Luke Shaw £27m, proves the point fully.

Doesn''t say he''s overpriced though does he?

Just that they couldn''t risk gambling on someone who *may* be cheaper but it''s proven at that level.

£27m for shaw I think is a great piece of business for Utd, will be the best LB in a few years. Clubs pay what they are willing to pay, not just because they are british. Snodgrass for example, S. Bruce wanted someone with experience in the league, at the right age, chips in with a few goals, has a great work ethic and does the dirty work because Hull play 3 at the back so they need some balance and discipline on either wing. He ticks all those boxes and therefore the question is, how much is he willing to pay for a player who''s at a club who (in their minds) see him as a star player. He may not be worth £8m judged by his performances, but Bruce is paying for what he thinks he will get.

Thought Shaw went for 34m in the end? There''s no question English players are overpriced. World class fees for very run of the mill players, but that is all the best of English is at the moment, run of the mill, but we insist on making out theyre more. Lallana at 25m is a joke. He''s a good player but the fee is ridiculous, makes the Joe Allen fee look like a bargain. Makes our outlay on RvW look like peanuts (waiting for T to come in on this one).

I wonder how well snoddy will do at Hull and whether he will split opinion between fans who see only the positive and fans who focus on the negative. We''ll probably only get the media perception, which will probably be how great he is, but id be surprised if more than a few Hull fans didnt take to him

well not really, Lallana just had a great season (not £25m worth though it has to be said) and Joe Allen was bought for that much because Rodgers knew what he was going to get from his time at the swans. £8.5m for a striker who scores 1 goal...now thats overpriced to an insane degree imo. £15m (I think it was) for Allen is a bit overpriced but like I said before, its what their manager was ready to happily pay.

It''s not so much that British players are overpriced because their British but because the vast majority of British players play in England. English clubs in the 1st and 2nd tier are, by and large, wealthier than their foreign counterparts and are, therefore, able to drive harder bargains. 

Ah but we werent buying a one goal a season striker, we were buying a prolific highly coveted talent. A one goal a season striker would be what anyone we tried to sell him to would be buying. With these figures its most economical to grow your own British players, sell British and buy foreign

But you can only judge them to be overpriced once they play for the team. If Ricky had scored 20 goals, we''d all be saying that he was a bargain for £8.5m. Obviously people have their own ideas about players and how good they WILL be judging by their form for their previous club, but one can only tell if its been a good signing after the player has played.

If snoddy scores them 8-10 goals next season, which isnt out of the question, he wont seem so overpriced then.

Bruce isn''t deciding the fee. The managers don''t get much say in the finance. They tell the big boys who they want and then they sort the deals out. Managers don''t deal with that...

[quote user="Paul"]I could have told Bruce that, not worth half the £8m fee[/quote]

Ha. Have you been asleep during the past two seasons? A player who produces as much as he did in the Premiership with a fairly average to poor side and is just about to turn 27 can simply not be worth £4 million. £8 million is almost cheap compared to similar players.

And i''m not even a fan of Snoddy.

all this managers don''t have a say in fees is not true in a sense ..... if hull had a budget of 25 million and bruce said I want snoddy if the board came back and said yes we bought him for 12.5 million ! it would eat up half his budget so the manager does have some input otherwise how can they plan to get 4 players in if they don''t know the price the board is going to pay but stick to a budget ? they must have a idea and say if we can get him under 9 million say then I would be interested board money men do your stuff .....

Gingerpele wrote the following post at 16/07/2014 4:59 PM:

Ha. Have you been asleep during the past two seasons? A player who produces as much as he did in the Premiership with a fairly average to poor side and is just about to turn 27 can simply not be worth £4 million. £8 million is almost cheap compared to similar players.

----------------------------------------------------

But you are a fan of Bradley Johnson

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Gingerpele wrote the following post at 16/07/2014 4:59 PM:

----------------------------------------------------

But you are a fan of Bradley Johnson[/quote]
Wait, this is new news.
I clearly didnt get that memo.

He wasn''t last season. But saying that, there wasn''t many to choose from.

[quote user="Canaries Web"]With 1 year left on his contract we did well to get 8 mil IMO. If he had 2 years left would we have got more?[/quote]
Ooh, interesting question.
I am thinking probably not much more?

There is an article on the front page of the pinkun website now. I''d link to it but it''s only a couple of clicks away anyway.Basically Bruce didn''t say that the players he has signed (Livermore as well for those interested) were not worth the money, quite the opposite.He states that British players demand a ''premium'' price and that the same players abroad could cost as little as half of a club would pay at home. However he states that he also has chosen to buy British players as part of the reason they cost more is that you know what you are going to get.I think he knows that there are other factors too. Since the homegrown rule has come in, British players went up in value. That''s before you go into the realms of how much money premier league clubs now earn just for being premier league. The fees they can command for their own players - look at Southampton. And then consider his points that a player with British footballing experience is essentially less of a risk than a foreign player who might struggle to adapt for the first season and perhaps never quite cut it.

With Valbuena rumoured to be moving for just £5.5m its hard not to

a) agree that snodgrass was overpriced but more importantly 

b) feel quite smug that our club was able to extract such a good deal in selling at that price.

Snoddy is hardly alone,   its impossible to justify many fees of British players,  McCormack, Zaha just two of far to many examples that can be used.   Even Grabban could be viewed as slightly overpriced when looking at some inter-european transfers. (not that i am not pleased to have him here or unhappy with the fee!)

I''d say that the Valbuena example actually proves why Snoddy is worth the £7-8million.Valbuena is 29 and will be 30 in September. He''s perhaps got a couple of good seasons in him, maybe three at most. In that time he could lose a bit of pace.He made his debut for France in 2010 at the age of 26/27 and has been at Marsaille for 8 years - making 227 appearances scoring 25 goals (wiki as my source so probably a bit inaccurate).Snodgrass will be 27 around the same time. In comparison he has a good 4-5 years ahead of him at least. He has made 67 appearances for us in the past two seasons scoring 12 goals.Snodgrass is more of a goal threat - this always adds value, the most expensive players tend to be strikers, then wingers/midfielders, then defenders and then goalkeepers - typically anyway. You also have the fact that Snodgrass was playing in the league Hull were playing in last season. They know he is more likely to be able to reproduce the quality he has shown in the last two seasons.At nearly 30, Valbuena does not have time on his side. He may not be able to make the transition quickly, and if you go by the second season rule, he could be more settled by the time he is 31.At the end of the day there is £2million roughly between their rumoured valuations. I can see precisely why. And it only goes to show that Snodgrass'' price isn''t as pricey as some might think.