Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Why are Cardiff favourites to go up?

I just don''t see it

They have the same manager as they went down with. They have lost , effectively their two best players from last season (Campbell and Caulker), Noone, another effective player is injured. Their signings are hardly inspirational.

What is it that the bookies like about them? Is it just the fact that Cardiff fans are blind to it all and have put a decent amount of dosh the Bookies way?

Do I want us to be favourites? Not bothered, but I fail to see why at least Derby and ourselves are not in front with fans.

Perhaps I need to go and put a heap of my hard earned on, at each Bookies.

If Mendel goes then Cardiff look like they won''t be going back up even more, OGS having been resigned to the fact of losing his star players, I agree with Mickdundee

Cardiff City supporters would ask the same question. They still have the same oddball owner but he seems less keen to spend big money.

They still have the same manager who displayed naivety and incompetence last season (never more than swapping Odemwingie for the lazy Kenwynne Jones).

As you say they are losing Caulker and will probably lose Mendel too. There defence, which was hardly of merit last season, now appears non-existent.

However, as I''ve backed Cardiff and Norwich to finish top-three in the coming season I can only hope OGS is working feverishly in the background on at least a couple of defensive signings.

It was criminal that Cardiff made such a mess of last season; for such a big club to wait fifty years to get back in the top flight and then be relegated straight away with barely a whimper was hugely disappointing objectively.

[quote user="ROKERITE"]Cardiff City supporters would ask the same question. They still have the same oddball owner but he seems less keen to spend big money.

They still have the same manager who displayed naivety and incompetence last season (never more than swapping Odemwingie for the lazy Kenwynne Jones).

As you say they are losing Caulker and will probably lose Mendel too. THEIR defence, which was hardly of merit last season, now appears non-existent.

However, as I''ve backed Cardiff and Norwich to finish top-three in the coming season I can only hope OGS is working feverishly in the background on at least a couple of defensive signings.

It was criminal that Cardiff made such a mess of last season; for such a big club to wait fifty years to get back in the top flight and then be relegated straight away with barely a whimper was hugely disappointing objectively.[/quote]

Spelling mistake on original post, sorry, and there doesn''t appear to be an edit facility.

[quote user="ROKERITE"]Cardiff City supporters would ask the same question. They still have the same oddball owner but he seems less keen to spend big money.

As you say they are losing Caulker and will probably lose Mendel too. There defence, which was hardly of merit last season, now appears non-existent.

It was criminal that Cardiff made such a mess of last season; for such a big club to wait fifty years to get back in the top flight and then be relegated straight away with barely a whimper was hugely disappointing objectively.[/quote]Would you really call them a big club?

Yes I would Morty. I can''t think of a bigger club who have spent so long in the lower divisions.

With success I could see them filling a 40,000 stadium , if they had one. Cardiff is a big city with a large catchment area. It is only due to sustained lack of success that the club has appeared so shrunken for so long. The potential is huge.

[quote user="ROKERITE"]Yes I would Morty. I can''t think of a bigger club who have spent so long in the lower divisions.

With success I could see them filling a 40,000 stadium , if they had one. Cardiff is a big city with a large catchment area. It is only due to sustained lack of success that the club has appeared so shrunken for so long. The potential is huge.[/quote]Sorry but none of that is really saying "big club" to me.And this isn''t a "Are they bigger than Norwich" thing either.You''re saying with success they would likely get huge crowds, well they had a shot at it and blew it after one season. More people in Cardiff are interested in watching rugby than football.I would compare them to Wigan, who I would definitely not class as a big club.

Favourites? good, takes the pressure off us.

I am not having a go at you personally Rokerite, but I don''t understand what you are saying or why. There''s about 25 English league clubs with larger capacity stadiums. In the lower leagues, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Derby, Forest have achieved more, and more recently, in terms of trophies. Cardiff has a population of about 325k but Wakefield is comparable and they don''t even have a league team.So by what criteria are they a big club? And why did you back them for top 3? And why are you doing the bookies favourite: ante-post bets?!

[quote user="Wiz"]Favourites? good, takes the pressure off us.[/quote]

Hang on Wiz, with your assertion that NCFC is saddled with a mad cook owner, lightweight rookie manager together with a convicted criminal '' luvvie ''who wafts uselessly around the Boardroom I thought as far as you were concerned we were right out of the picture for years to come ?

I''ve often wondered why such a large place as Wakefield not only doesn''t have a league team, you can go down below the sixth tier of English football and you''ll still struggle to find their name.

Capacity of stadium is not a criterion on which I''d necessarily base the size of club. When Cardiff built their new ground a few years ago I thought they were being conservative in their estimate and they are increasing it now.

Cardiff''s population is big but its environs are very large, it has always garnered support from throughout the valleys. I''d put Cardiff City alongside Plymouth Argyle as clubs which have never had their potential tapped properly.

Why top three? I''ve asked myself that. As I posted earlier their loss of top players without any replacement at the back is concerning. I was very impressed by Daehli when we played them last season (they were dreadful by the way) but they''ll need a lot more than him.

Ante-Post football betting is my favourite form of betting. I''ve been doing it for decades. I can remember backing Malcolm Allison''s Crystal Palace each-way top three and they were relegated instead, and that''s a long time ago. I trust a similar fate doesn''t befall The Canaries in 2014-15!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Hang on Wiz, with your assertion that NCFC is saddled with a mad cook owner, lightweight rookie manager together with a convicted criminal '' luvvie ''who wafts uselessly around the Boardroom I thought as far as you were concerned we were right out of the picture for years to come ?

[/quote]

Urban wiz myth mate despite everything you say being true, we still have a chance.

Talking of sleeping giants (not another pointless debate perleeese!)  how are Wolves chances rated this season? Is there anybody informed about their current progress?

Have they finally released themselves of the shackles of McCarthyism and are they gradually on the up once again?

Our first fixture next season is important for so many reasons .... a marquee fixture. What team will NA prefer from what selection of players?

What system? What attitude will be on display? Are we as good as we assume we might be?

Being on television with a large baying Black Country crowd fully behind their newly promoted side who will be out of their skins from the k.o. this is, IMO, is the Championship fixture of the entire week-end and the occasion alone will make Wolves no push-over. Tough introduction to a tough league.

I''d settle for a point under these circumstances, but are the Molyneux  boys a force to be reckoned with next season or is it slightly unfortunate that we are cast into this cauldron on the opening day?  

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

Urban wiz myth mate despite everything you say being true, we still have a chance.

[/quote]You know when you switch your computer off at night, do you actually forget everything you have posted, and assume everyone else has?

I''d say the latter BroadstairsR with reference to your final sentence. I think it''s an unfortunate opening-day fixture rather than Wolves being a particularly strong outfit next season, though you can never tell of course.

A draw would be a good result.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know when you switch your computer off at night, do you actually forget everything you have posted, and assume everyone else has?
[/quote]

Memo to morty, bore, lapping, City 1st.

You''re now on a wiz block................hopefully other posters will follow my lead.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

[/quote]You know when you switch your computer off at night, do you actually forget everything you have posted, and assume everyone else has?[/quote]

You''re now on a wiz block................hopefully other posters will follow my lead.

[/quote]Was the question too difficult?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Talking of sleeping giants (not another pointless debate perleeese!)  how are Wolves chances rated this season? Is there anybody informed about their current progress?

Have they finally released themselves of the shackles of McCarthyism and are they gradually on the up once again?

Our first fixture next season is important for so many reasons .... a marquee fixture. What team will NA prefer from what selection of players?

What system? What attitude will be on display? Are we as good as we assume we might be?

Being on television with a large baying Black Country crowd fully behind their newly promoted side who will be out of their skins from the k.o. this is, IMO, is the Championship fixture of the entire week-end and the occasion alone will make Wolves no push-over. Tough introduction to a tough league.

I''d settle for a point under these circumstances, but are the Molyneux  boys a force to be reckoned with next season or is it slightly unfortunate that we are cast into this cauldron on the opening day?  

[/quote]

I''m so excited for that fixture but damn I''ve got such a bad feeling about that game. I think we''re in for a very good season but I keep seeing it in my head, we dominate the first 20 minutes but get hit on the counter twice, the players fall apart again and we get smacked for 5/6.

We love our freak opening day batterings, they''re a bogey side, it''s on sky, they''ll be well up for it and nobody could argue, while talented this is a very mentally weak squad of players we have based off of the last two years, there heads drop so easily!

Yea no idea why Cardiff are favorites, they have an inferior team to us, they''re hemorrhaging what little quality they have and a manager whose actually proven to be naff. Fulham under Magath are my favorites, anyone who finishes above them will get auto promotion

To actually answer the question they are favourites because the bookies feel they are best placed for promotion. Which appears to be based on the financial muscle Vincent Tan can bring notwithstanding the blokes a crackpot and a liability. As many have pointed out their squad is poor especially defensively and are losing Caulker and Medel.

If it was based purely on finances Khan from Fulham has more spondoolicks than Tan.

I agree with Wiz''s first point; takes the pressure off us. Also bookie''s odds are not just based on who they think will go up but also how the market is working. Maybe there''s lots of Malaysian money being put on Cardiff so they shorten the odds.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

[/quote]You know when you switch your computer off at night, do you actually forget everything you have posted, and assume everyone else has?[/quote]

[/quote]That''s like being proactively barred from the Nazi Party.  I wouldn''t have joined it anyway, but thanks for saving me the effort.

Well who would you make favourite in this league?

Too hard to call. Fulham us and Cardiff are the obvious choices coming down a league but wolves are just as capable coming up with a winning mentality

"You''re now on a wiz block..."

errr, what a we blocked from ?