Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Kyle Lafferty - Our most important player?

Wasnt too keen on this signing intially after reading the comments coming out of Palermo. But he was a fans favourite there and we are well aware of the fact that we never replace Holts role in the team. Whislt different players, Lafferty does seem to be the gateway to getting the best out of the players around him. I would go as far as saying that Lafferty needs to be the first name on the teamsheet, and being given number 9 suggests he is being considered ''the main man''. Hooper and RvW could be great again playing off a guy like him. Lafferty could be the most important signing we''ve made for along time if he can give us what Holt gave us, and help us see the true versions of the other players we bought

there always is a need for this kind of talismanHolt did the job superbly, sticking away goals from an almost impossible angle, and had a good deal of ''boisterousness'' about that suggested he wanted to win come what maywe''ve badly missed thatmissed someone who could out jump a couple of defenders and the keeper to head in... in front of the kop !someone who shoved a silly binner out of the way to bang one it in a Derbysomeone who maybe a bit of an ar sebut when he''s our ar se then that''s ok

I hope Im made to eat my words, but I cant see him being prolific personally - but having him in the team might ignite the rest of the team. Genuine outlet and able to hold the ball up and whilst we gain territory, in the way Holt always did, and the much maligned Wilbraham did. Think Quinn and Phillips, Quinn being the less prolific of the two, but arguably the more important. I dont know much about Lafferty''s game, Im making a lot of assumptions based on his size, obvioulsy this is not Peter Crouch''s game despite his height, but if he can bring these qualities and get the other forwards scoring, then even if he doesnt score many himself he could be key. Great thing about Holt was you got both - this kind of talisman, but one who was also prolific. Holt was a special player, yet some were so quick to dismiss him

I think Lafferty will play a lot of games, if not all of them. He is Adams´ buy, and will feature when fit.

I also think Laffery would fit well fit RvW in a 4-4-2, but sadly, with RvW´s injury, we will not see them together in this preseason.

Hooper will be sold, me thinks, so I don''t consider him as a possible strike partner to Lafferty.

Grabban may also feature a lot, since he is bought by Adams, and scored a lot last season, but I think it will be hard for Adams to ignore the possible partnership of Lafferty and RvW.

For that reason, I think it is a good bet to spend a few pounds (or krone in my case) on Lafferty as the division top scorer.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]I hope Im made to eat my words, but I cant see him being prolific personally - but having him in the team might ignite the rest of the team. Genuine outlet and able to hold the ball up and whilst we gain territory, in the way Holt always did, and the much maligned Wilbraham did. Think Quinn and Phillips, Quinn being the less prolific of the two, but arguably the more important. I dont know much about Lafferty''s game, Im making a lot of assumptions based on his size, obvioulsy this is not Peter Crouch''s game despite his height, but if he can bring these qualities and get the other forwards scoring, then even if he doesnt score many himself he could be key. Great thing about Holt was you got both - this kind of talisman, but one who was also prolific. Holt was a special player, yet some were so quick to dismiss him[/quote]I wouldn''t bet on Lafferty ending up as our leading scorer, because he can play out wide, and wherever he plays will create chances for others. But I would be prepared to wager he will finish the season with as many appearances as any of the midfielders and the other strikers. I think he is a key signing.

I personally hope he''ll be seen as plan B and nothing else as it gives us the temptation to just hoof it forward, and we can do better than that as a team. I''m sure he''ll be a great alternative, and if he is a regular starter then it will be because he''s scoring and making lots of assists. Neil has brought in some strikers perfect for challenging for starting positions so everyone will be on their toes, will be even better if Becchio stays (but I can''t see that happening and I can''t really blame him in a way). I see Lafferty more as our Emile Heskey where the striker he plays with will love him....except he''s not black.

Why would you put money on him to be top scorer? You''d be throwing your money (and thats coming from a regular betfredder)

[quote user="City1st"]there always is a need for this kind of talismanHolt did the job superbly, sticking away goals from an almost impossible angle, and had a good deal of ''boisterousness'' about that suggested he wanted to win come what maywe''ve badly missed thatmissed someone who could out jump a couple of defenders and the keeper to head in... in front of the kop !someone who shoved a silly binner out of the way to bang one it in a Derbysomeone who maybe a bit of an ar sebut when he''s our ar se then that''s ok

[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDSr-n5MZs

God I miss him!

I think most importantly, it gives us an option that we didn''t really have last season, a big, bustling, out and out striker.We never really had that mix of different types of players up front that season.

In terms of finishing as Championship top scorer, his record doesn''t exactly shout "prolific"... I''d save your cash.  Not doubting he will be an important player, but don''t think goalscoring will be his strongest suit.

2005–2008Burnley83(10)
2006Darlington (loan)9(3)
2008–2012Rangers104(31)
2012–2013Sion25(5)
2013–2014Palermo34(11)

Kyle Lafferty interview :-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdZwaxZjSY&feature=youtu.be

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]In terms of finishing as Championship top scorer, his record doesn''t exactly shout "prolific"... I''d save your cash.  Not doubting he will be an important player, but don''t think goalscoring will be his strongest suit.

2005–2008Burnley83(10)
2006Darlington (loan)9(3)
2008–2012Rangers104(31)
2012–2013Sion25(5)
2013–2014Palermo34(11)

[/quote]In contrast, Gary Hooper''s record:

2010–2013Celtic95(63)
And Hooper has done a shade more than f*ck all since joining us and playing "proper" football...

IMO, many people will be surprised by Lafferty this year. Yes, he''s tall, but there''s much more to his game than that. He has more pace than many big strikers and is more of a team player, making opportunities for others. He is also an excellent free-kick taker, as demonstrated at Braintree and the Palermo YouTube video. I''ve just watched the extended highlights and was impressed by his all around play, as well as with his warmth with other players and a laugh with Gary Holt at the end.

This from his interview on the Official Site:

“This is one of the best teams for team bonding that I’ve been in. Everyone gets on so well, and that will count for a lot when we have to dig deep. Seeing the way we’ve trained and worked so hard, there’s a hunger there to win as a team and fight for each other. There are a few jokers in the team which is always good. The lads have been superb, and in training too it’s been easy to know the guys. At the end of the day we’re here to do one thing and I’m pretty sure we’ll be up there.”

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, many people will be surprised by Lafferty this year. Yes, he''s tall, but there''s much more to his game than that. He has more pace than many big strikers and is more of a team player, making opportunities for others. He is also an excellent free-kick taker, as demonstrated at Braintree and the Palermo YouTube video. I''ve just watched the extended highlights and was impressed by his all around play, as well as with his warmth with other players and a laugh with Gary Holt at the end.

This from his interview on the Official Site:

“This is one of the best teams for team bonding that I’ve been in. Everyone gets on so well, and that will count for a lot when we have to dig deep. Seeing the way we’ve trained and worked so hard, there’s a hunger there to win as a team and fight for each other. There are a few jokers in the team which is always good. The lads have been superb, and in training too it’s been easy to know the guys. At the end of the day we’re here to do one thing and I’m pretty sure we’ll be up there.”[/quote]I was just about to paste the exact same thing, good to see he is settling in well[Y]

For what it''s worth, I don''t think he is very much like Holt at all, but he seems to know about positions, has a good dead ball shot, and despite his height is not a great header of the ball.

I was not very impressed when I first heard about his likely signing, but the more I see of him, the more I am impressed. I think that he could make a very good contribution this coming season. I also like Grabban''s movement and commitment to the cause. He seems to be one of those hard workers who seem to achieve things with hardly anyone noticing.

It seems unlikely that RvW will leave this summer, and nothing has been heard about Hooper - perhaps managers, who know the quality of Scottish football, are holding off to see how he plays this year.

If they both stay, and with Loza in the wings, I doubt if we shall sign another striker. Adams already seems to have switched his attention to a (central) defender.