Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Relegation seems to have revitalised this board...

Having read this board for many years, it''s become increasingly apparent that when we are doing well this place almost grinds to a halt. Winning just doesn''t motivate lively debate; in fact while we were in the Premier League it seemed like a proportion of regular posters just stopped posting completely.

However, as doomsday closed in there seemed to be a revitalisation of posters. Some old usernames seem resurrected, others like Wiz have been reincarnated.

Of course it is a positive thing, debate is good but I do wonder why some of the forum users disappeared when our star was in the ascendancy, yet now we are back in the Championship appear to be all over the board like an unkempt beard or a pair of cheap green cords?

Why would that be? Who would revel in our misery?

Any ideas?

misery ?

hmmmmm

otherwise I would suggest it maybe be down the re-appearance of the lesser brained binner to these shores

There was nothing to talk about during the Lambert years. After a while people realized that somehow no matter how crazy a decision Lambert made regarding signings or tactics everything he did ended up being a masterstroke with us, we were winning while playing exciting, counter attacking football and the fan base was 100% united and with the team.

Every time we lost we all blamed the ref or misfortune, everybody loved our promotion teams and the first prem year team, all this board was was people praising the club and agreeing with each other

Under Hughton we played the worst brand of football I have ever seen any team play and I really mean that. I''m not being mellow dramatic, I''d have much rather-ed we played a Stoke-esque brand of long ball.

Ultra defensive while still conceding a lot of goals, static players, no invention, no belief in the players or creativity and most importantly no goals. The debate obviously livened up when most supporters realized that losses and draws combined with absolutely dire football was not acceptable and some blindly supported the obviously inpept manager because he just so happened to be the manager sparked chaos on here

Let''s just hope everything goes well next year, the quieter this place is the better it must be going for the club.

One thing I have noticed about NCFC fans is though, despite being a nice, friendly placid bunch we''re among the least tolerable to negative bad football, which mercifully Adams'' seems to have realized

I thought the predominant view on this board was that the previous manager''s tenure had been a rip roaring success, and the current incumbent''s potential even surpassed that of the former. We are not favourites for promotion because our club does not have finances to compete with Cardiff or Fulham, and are managerial experience is lacking. Linked is the fact we have disposed of our most significant asset while retaining the services of our least.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I thought the predominant view on this board was that the previous manager''s tenure had been a rip roaring success, and the current incumbent''s potential even surpassed that of the former. We are not favourites for promotion because our club does not have finances to compete with Cardiff or Fulham, and are managerial experience is lacking. Linked is the fact we have disposed of our most significant asset while retaining the services of our least.[/quote]Really [:O]

The board is only revitalised in the sense that we are in a league where we should be able to compete for the top honour.  

The premiership experience was not easy to deal with - the first year there was a lot of  worry and but for that Grant Holt goal at Liverpool which gave the team and us a lift in a match where - lets be fair - we should have been hammered, we could have struggled more the rest of the season. The board was full of angst and worry that the players weren''t up to it, every player I think was given the treatment - until we looked as if we were going to be safe - and then it turned a bit sour almost straight away because we didn''t go for it in a cup match and Lambert started to lose his gloss. The second and third year are too painful to look back on too much, but because the manager was given no leeway on here, every match was given the "we were awful" treatment - even when the team performed well or got results.  No positivity was acceptable and it if you tried to be positive or praised things when they went well, you were treated like some kind of traitor. 

I hope we can keep the revitalised enthusiasm up on here.  Its a time of hope - hope that we can do well and compete for the top of the table.   Anticipation is everything - as it was in 2009.  This time though, we look to be in a better position to do well after relegation - lets hope the team and manager deliver the goods so the board can keep its enthusiasm going. 

LDC - you still seem to be implying that the people who spoke out about Hughton after recognizing the signs of impending doom were somehow wrong?

The facts are that we were relegated because of Hughton''s management. This was not influenced by anything that was said on this board, as this board has no significance - but you still sound like you feel ''Hughton-outers'' were misguided in their stance, when clearly this is not the case

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]LDC - you still seem to be implying that the people who spoke out about Hughton after recognizing the signs of impending doom were somehow wrong? The facts are that we were relegated because of Hughton''s management. This was not influenced by anything that was said on this board, as this board has no significance - but you still sound like you feel ''Hughton-outers'' were misguided in their stance, when clearly this is not the case[/quote]

Uh, oh.....

Best brace ourselves for another 12 page '' my Dad''s bigger than your Dad '', I''ll throw my toys out of the pram and scweem and scweem until I''m sick '' fest.....[:D]

The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 20/07/2014 4:32 PM:

The facts are that we were relegated because of Hughton''s management

-------------------------------------------------

Why do people state what the facts are without stating what the fact are?

[quote user="lake district canary"]The premiership experience was not easy to deal with - the first year there was a lot of  worry and but for that Grant Holt goal at Liverpool which gave the team and us a lift in a match where - lets be fair - we should have been hammered, we could have struggled more the rest of the season. The second and third year are too painful to look back on too much, but because the manager was given no leeway on here, every match was given the "we were awful" treatment - even when the team performed well or got results.  No positivity was acceptable and it if you tried to be positive or praised things when they went well, you were treated like some kind of traitor.  [/quote]I think you can put this down to Lambert''s approach, which was to keep going and never give up even if we went behind, which bred positivity and resilience amongst the supporters, and Houghton''s approach, which was to park the bus and hope for the best and god help us if we go a goal behind, which bred negativity and alienation amongst the supporters.We didn''t lose against Liverpool because we - manager, team, fans - didn''t stop believing that we could get something from the game.We had our fair share of hammerings under Lambert, but there was always the sense that next week it would be different and the slate would be wiped clean.  Under Houghton it was one long and relentless slog, and a largely unenjoyable one at that.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]LDC - you still seem to be implying that the people who spoke out about Hughton after recognizing the signs of impending doom were somehow wrong?

The facts are that we were relegated because of Hughton''s management. This was not influenced by anything that was said on this board, as this board has no significance - but you still sound like you feel ''Hughton-outers'' were misguided in their stance, when clearly this is not the case[/quote]

I''m not implying that.  I am simply saying what happened - that Hughton was given little credit on this board when things went well - and some things did go well and there were some good performances over those two years.   He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough - but somehow people couldn''t bring themselves to credit him for any good results.   In the end it was downwards all the way, but rightly or wrongly, over the two years,  he was given very little leeway by the majority of posters on this board.    

This board is not a fair reflection of the whole fanbase - but there were those fans in Norwich saying, on here, that everyone they knew wanted Hughton gone - so there was plenty of negativity not just on here if they are to be believed.  That negativity was recognised by the players at one point who said - was it Russell Martin - who said something about not understanding why fans were so against Hughton?   That was when the "siege mentalilty" was starting to be spoken about.    So were people right to be so negative - and did that affect the players?    It is a difficult question to answer imo.  Many people appear to think they have no effect either individually or collectively - but that doesn''t seem right to me.   My signature says everything I have to say really - you can''t expect to think you can have a positive effect on the team if you don''t accept that you can have a negative effect on them too.    In other words when CR is rocking, is it having an effect? Yes is the answer. When the crowd are subdued or nervous, is that having an effect?  To me the answer is yes.  

I know this board and CR are completely different - but any kind of negativity is not helpful.  It was like watching a juggernaut that couldn''t be stopped.  Everything was bad, apparently  - and if you dared to try and see positives in anything, you were shouted down - not just me, but several of us.   We failed, I know. Hughton failed, I know.  But it was a close run thing in the end.  A massive amount of negativity on here and amongst the fans in general (so we were told on here) but we failed by the slimmest of margins. One result would have swung it. One goal instead of hitting a post or a great save......was all that negativity worth it for the width of a post or a bar or a great save?

This board has no influence as to what happens on the pitch or on the terraces at Carrow Road whatsoever. It is merely a distraction from watching England lose the cricket at the moment.

it''s simple really, when everything''s hunky dory their isn''t much to debate.

but when your record signing flops, your manager gets sacked, you get relegated and you appoint a radio presenter to lead your promotion push.. well their''s plenty to debate.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]This board has no influence as to what happens on the pitch or on the terraces at Carrow Road whatsoever[/quote]Totally agree. The amount of times I''ve got back from games and looked at the match thread and couldn''t gelieve what I was reading. Often completely opposite to what I have just seen. Thank goodness for Ricardo''s reports which normally confirms my thoughts on the game.I can''t believe even you Highland, can be as miserable at games as you are on here. [;)]

[quote user="STAN"]it''s simple really, when everything''s hunky dory their isn''t much to debate.

but when your record signing flops, your manager gets sacked, you get relegated and you appoint a radio presenter to lead your promotion push.. well their''s plenty to debate.[/quote]so that''s what he was doing before he got the jobsilly old me thought he was the club''s youth team managerjust show how wrong we can all be

ps curious that you talk of your and you, not our

"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?

[quote user="City1st"]"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]

If you want a cohesive reply, you need to try a bit harder - if you are just letting off steam, I hope you feel better for it.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]

If you want a cohesive reply, you need to try a bit harder - if you are just letting off steam, I hope you feel better for it.[/quote]The idea that someone has to "earn" your pearls of wisdom is so wonderfully ironic I nearly choked to death laughing.Might try harder next time.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]

If you want a cohesive reply, you need to try a bit harder - if you are just letting off steam, I hope you feel better for it.[/quote]The idea that someone has to "earn" your pearls of wisdom is so wonderfully ironic I nearly choked to death laughing.Might try harder next time.[/quote]

All I am asking is to be called by my user name instead of an obvious insulting one. 

I hope you choke a bit more next time. [:P]

[quote user="lake district canary"]All I am asking is to be called by my user name...[/quote]Ok for you to call me Lapdog though. Hypocrite.

I agree there is a load of miserablists on this board. Fortunately my cutting edge analysis of the situation we find ourselves in under the radio commentator both informs and amuses the masses on this board

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]All I am asking is to be called by my user name...[/quote]Ok for you to call me Lapdog though. Hypocrite.[/quote]

Show me where, Lapdog........oh

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]

If you want a cohesive reply, you need to try a bit harder - if you are just letting off steam, I hope you feel better for it.

[/quote]come come, Fake District it''s not like you to be so reticentyou have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]"He got the flack when things were bad - fair enough"why is it ''fair enough'' Fake District ?you have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]If you want a cohesive reply, you need to try a bit harder - if you are just letting off steam, I hope you feel better for it.[/quote]come come, Fake District it''s not like you to be so reticentyou have always told us that it was the players who let him down, so why should he get any flak ?[/quote]

Luck off.

[quote user="Lowestoft canary"]I agree there is a load of miserablists on this board. Fortunately my cutting edge analysis of the situation we find ourselves in under the radio commentator both informs and amuses the masses on this board[/quote]

How many names are you currently posting under Waveney? There are at least two on this thread.

[quote user="Lowestoft Determined Canary"]So LDC, it wasn''t the players and Houghton that got us relegated, it was the fans'' negativity you say? What do you think caused this in the first place then?![/quote]

I''ve said several times that the negativity is simply something that can infect a club to the extent that it brings a club down.  The negativity started the day Lambert left.   It started with the fans reaction to that.   The fact that Hughton was going to be a more organised and defensive coach was not helpful and added to that negativity.  The players, used to up and at ''em Lambert, found it harder to adjust - so there was some negativity there, as shown by Holt''s comments.  So it is too simple to say "its the fans'' fault" - that is not my point and never has been, although that''s how some people have taken what I have been saying. 

Negativity is a damaging thing for a football club and if different elements of that club - players, fans, board members - anyone who is involved with the club in any capacity - is negative, then that will build if not checked.   Hughton was not goods at getting things to look positive on the pitch and couldn''t turn it round.   The fans, though, are part of the fabric of the club so they are part of what happens to it.

Forgetting football, negativity is something that is damaging for all sorts of things, in business, in home life, wherever it appears. It is always possible to turn it round - witness Lambert''s arrival at Norwich turning a club in almost terminal decline into a force again.  You have to fight the negativity - Lambert used to say about his fear of losing is what gave him his positive outlook - in other words he was fighting the negativity by being extra positive.  

I don''t blame fans, I don''t blame players - I don''t even blame Hughton.  The negativity was almost bound to take over after Lambert left - in a similar was imo to how MU struggled after SAF left.    Negativity is something - imo - that has to be faced down - and make positivity take its place.  In football, its almost impossible to do well in a negative atmosphere, whether its in the team or amongst the fans. What we have had for the last two years is the players, management and fans being negative.   I am sure Hughton wanted things to be a bit more positive, but he wasn''t up to turning it round.  I think any manager would have had problems after Lambert.  What goes up has to come down - and that imo is what happened after Lambert - a reaction to the three incredibly positive years.