Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

6 Outta These 12 (16).

Tettey, Johnson, Howson, Surman, Pilkington, E.Bennett, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper, Grabban, Lafferty, Wolfswinkel.

Whatever formation we play, im guessing a diamond as weve played that in our 3 fixtures. Or whether we change it to 433 Adams has a tricky job of keeping that lot happy. 6 positions with 12 vying for them.

I didnt even include Josh & Jacob Murphy, Loza or Leroy Fer (assuming he leaves).

A tricky job but a nice position for us to be in.

Unless we need to shut up shop or have a defensive injury then the three subs are likely to come from this same list. Then at least two are likely to be unavailable due to injury on many occasions, I won''t suggest who, so I would think they will all get enough chances to play to keep them happy. It will be a long season and I would expect a certain amount of rotation to rest players to keep them fresh. If one of them leaves then I would expect one in to replace him, though not necessarily in the same position. Also, if we were still limited to a 25 man squad, allowing for three goalkeepers, that would leave room for 10 defenders,which is about the right proportion.

I honestly think the squad (as it stands right now) is round about the right size. As said there will be injuries, and you can''t count of any of the youngsters yet, as we don''t know who will step up to become a regular starter.

Not sure it''s that extreme. I''ve always felt you need two players for each position to cover for injuries, suspensions etc.

While it probably isn''t that many players, the issue is I can''t see many (any) of them being happy with regular time on the bench in the championship.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few friendlies as the quality of opposition starts to get stronger, we should start to get more of an idea on how Adams is thinking - the midfield diamond does seem to be the way Norwich are going.

Tettey, Howson, Surman and Fer as a midfield 4 would be hard for other Championship teams to match, but where would someone like Redmond fit into this?

Will be hard to convince him to stay at Norwich when there is Premier League interest if he isn''t considered a first team regular. Admas has tried to play him up front a couple of times but it hasn''t really paid off, I suppose he could replace Fer if he left, but I''m not sure a central position is best for Redmond.

Adams is going to have a tough job of keeping them all happy as the OP said - will be a real test of his man management skills.

I thought he would go 3 up top, redmond on left, grabban on right and hooper through the middle. As long as he can keep them happy then we will have such a strong squad.

Simple basics to a football squad - normally you would say you want two players competing for each position at least. With the exception of GK where you typically have three. It''s also usual to have an extra striker.On that basis we are a defender short unless Bassong is suddenly deemed to have turned a corner.Otherwise I quite like the signing of Grabban, as positionally he is quite versatile. If we are to go with the diamond he could play in either the Hoolahan role or as one of the strikers. In a flat 4-4-2 he can play as one of the wide men if needed.

Chicken,

Re 1 x defender short. if you go purely on numbers then yes we are, however RM can play RB and SW can play LB, although either of those two scenarios would leave us with only 3 CB''s including young Gafaiti, so would you go for another RB or CB? Although EB and Jacob Murphy have played at RB this pre-season (I think), so it could be argued we actually have enough cover for emergencies?

If we bring in another CB then I suspect AG will go on loan, with a call back clause (if that''s allowed) although this new CB will only probably be 4th choice, or if first choice it means one of RB or MT dropping to 4th choice, which they are unlikely to be too happy about!

If we bring in another RB, then again they may well be 3rd choice behind SW & RM.

So the liklihood is that if we get another RB or CB they will be a younger player making his way in the game and we have those anyway and they are essentially FOC, or, they may be a more mature player seeing out his final year or two and I''m not sure that is the way we want to go, last season being a case in point.

Interesting dilemna though.