Sign in to follow this  
Yellowbeagle

Borini 14m

Has the world gone mad, 14million??? then there is 11m Fulham paid for McCormack. Crazy football world we live in now, I''m glad that we as a club havent been caught up in this level of financial roulette, at least not yet.

With TV payments increasing massively so are transfer prices - clubs are playing no more ''financial roulette'' than they were last season or the season before.

I feel by the end of the window the £7m Norwich got for Snodgrass will look cheap.

Exactly Bethnal. I don''t know if we will get caught up, more like someone will say we got caught out with the Snoddy fee

(I think that was a good price for Snoddy btw)

How does that reckon with what Steve Bruce said about paying over the odds for British players?

While i agree to a certain extent, alot of these clubs were playing with fire before this season, so spending say 14m on a very average prem striker will be increasing the stakes especially for clubs who will always have relegation on the horizon like Sunderland.

There was a chance for the English game to get it''s house in order, with the raised money. However I''m not surprised they''ve just spend more on the same players. I''d still not be happy if we''d been in the prem and paid out 14m for Borini, although i now see alot of it is add-ons

I''m afraid I agree. £7,000,000 would have been high for Borini in my opinion. Remy, a much better player, is going for £8,500,000 apparently; and that isn''t comparing apples and oranges as the Kroos/Lalana arguments are.

I''m concerned about Poyet''s dealings, his transfer record at B&HA was patchy. I think we''re in for another season of struggle.

[quote user="ROKERITE"]I''m afraid I agree. £7,000,000 would have been high for Borini in my opinion. Remy, a much better player, is going for £8,500,000 apparently; and that isn''t comparing apples and oranges as the Kroos/Lalana arguments are.

I''m concerned about Poyet''s dealings, his transfer record at B&HA was patchy. I think we''re in for another season of struggle.[/quote]

Whilst ridiculously high, I would take thse figures with a huge, huge pinch of saltRemember Bellamy''s supposed £6.5m transfer to Coventry whuch turned out to be around £4.65mOr Strivaka''s £750,000 fee, which turned out to be the total of his three year contract ...... no fee at allIt is in both club''s interest to bump up the fee, so the absolute amount payable is usually quoted as being the fee with a bit of guesswork thrown in for good measureIt is a symptom of the times that many of the not too bright see this ''willy comparing'' exercise as some means to measure something ... what that something is ie ''hambition'' , wealthy ''backer''. player''s worth etc only they know but it amuses some I suppose

only someone in your position would see me as being superiorI doubt anyone else does

[quote user="ROKERITE"]I''m afraid I agree. £7,000,000 would have been high for Borini in my opinion. Remy, a much better player, is going for £8,500,000 apparently; and that isn''t comparing apples and oranges as the Kroos/Lalana arguments are.

I''m concerned about Poyet''s dealings, his transfer record at B&HA was patchy. I think we''re in for another season of struggle.[/quote]That''s very good work on the Scousers behalf you have to admit.

Ridiculous fee for a second rate striker, could get Loic Remy for extra £1m. But he did cost Liverpool £10m they would want that at least but £4m extra seems good business.

I agree with City1st, no way in hell would anybody with a brain cell, even with all the money in the world pay 14 million for Borini. I don''t belive that figure for a second....well maybe, some of these owners are absolutely beyond mad. He''s no better than Hooper and I think we overpaid for him at 5 million.

But if and it''s a big if the reports are true and Sunderland have paid 14 million, even if most of that is appearance/goal based it''s absurd and makes Sunderland look like complete mugs. They could have pipped George Throne (midfielder i know) for 2 million from Derby (like we should have) and got a much better player

This is all about the riches of the PL broadcasting deal. Borini keeps Sunderland up, £14m to secure £100m is great business. Remy''s wage demands I suspect will be much higher so you can''t consider the transfer fee alone, the latter being much less material than the former.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]This is all about the riches of the PL broadcasting deal. Borini keeps Sunderland up, £14m to secure £100m is great business. Remy''s wage demands I suspect will be much higher so you can''t consider the transfer fee alone, the latter being much less material than the former.[/quote]

That''s a really stupid way to run a business though. Borini is a 10 goal striker at best, 14m to secure that and there''s no guarantee he''ll even get that. That 100m will soon be whittled away when you think they spent 14m to stay still. His wages won''t be tiny either not considering the clubs he''s been at.

I think these large transfer fees are hard for fans to accept as its so far beyond what most of us experience in our daily lives.  Football appears to be on a never ending charge towards being  a rich man''s play thing.  Owned by money is no object owners who are prepared to throw millions and millions at their toys.  The worse it gets, the more damaged football becomes.   Its rich men playing with real money like its monopoly money - players are just the equivalent of a house on Oxford Street or Mayfair.   Fans just pay the rent.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think these large transfer fees are hard for fans to accept as its so far beyond what most of us experience in our daily lives.  Football appears to be on a never ending charge towards being  a rich man''s play thing.  Owned by money is no object owners who are prepared to throw millions and millions at their toys.  The worse it gets, the more damaged football becomes.   Its rich men playing with real money like its monopoly money - players are just the equivalent of a house on Oxford Street or Mayfair.   Fans just pay the rent.

[/quote]Does that mean I get to put a Hotel on Carrow Road?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I think these large transfer fees are hard for fans to accept as its so far beyond what most of us experience in our daily lives.  Football appears to be on a never ending charge towards being  a rich man''s play thing.  Owned by money is no object owners who are prepared to throw millions and millions at their toys.  The worse it gets, the more damaged football becomes.   Its rich men playing with real money like its monopoly money - players are just the equivalent of a house on Oxford Street or Mayfair.   Fans just pay the rent. [/quote]Does that mean I get to put a Hotel on Carrow Road?[/quote]

Only if you get rid of the one its already got.

"I''m afraid I agree. £7,000,000 would have been high for Borini in my opinion. Remy, a much better player, is going for £8,500,000 apparently; and that isn''t comparing apples and oranges as the Kroos/Lalana arguments are"

Well for Sunderland that is like comparing apples and oranges, because Borini didn''t play up front for them last season but out wide.

So the fairer comparison is Borini and Snodgrass, Borini scored 10 goals from out wide last season, is 23, and had several years left on his Liverpool contract.

Snodgrass is almost 27, had one year left on his deal, and was probably less effective than Borini last season.

Both fees are inflated.

Remy was £8.5m because thats what his release clause said, if he didn''t have that release clause then he''d have been going for £20m or more.

Remy was never going to be a realistic signing for Sunderland.

Sunderland paid £12m for Fletcher, and £8m for Wickham, so £14m for Borini isn''t too out there is it.

GrantsMoustache kind of hints at why comparing Borini and Remy is like comparing apples and oranges.

Borini is 23, while Remy is 27. That additional four years is worth a lot. Not only does it literally give four extra service years in which the player could play it also suggests that at this point and in his ''prime'' Remy is pretty much a known commodity. Of course he is a good player, but Borini does provide more scope for improvement, as a player with extremely little service time (he hasn''t played much first team football) he could become better or even at the same level as Remy.

As such for this season it might seem a little ridiculous for Liverpool to make almost £6m and get a better player, but in the long term Sunderland have a player than should be playing for longer and has the opportunity to become an excellent striker, potentially better than Remy. Of course when he was at Roma and moved to Liverpool he was considered a great prospect! He could still make it big. If he does that Sunderland will be selling on for a high fee.

As I see it, this situation is worth £14m to Sunderland, if he gets much better to being the best player he can he would move to a top club for £20m plus and they make money. If not, he seems unlikely to regress, as such they get a serviceable versatile winger/striker than will get around 8 goals a season. With current football finances they may have overpaid if they get that, but that''s the risk you take when buying young players over known commodities.

Which club do you think has got the worst value for money over the years? I know we spaffed 8m on RvW, but as has just been pointed out, some teams seem to regularly p*ss money up the wall for very little back.

Fulham seem to pay a lot for very little, as have Sunderland and Boro with Afonso Alves, but no outrageous fees and flops, 30m plus. Difficult one to call

Sunderland seem to buy a lot of flops up front, but then again generally manage to stay in the Premier League.

Probably why they were willing to pay £14m for somebody who has already shown they can score 10 goals for them.

Didn''t think Fulham usually paid big transfer fees though, for the past few years they have mostly signed freebies and overseas players?

All it proves is that money doesn''t buy success unless you are in the top six league of spending.   Everyone else is just making up the numbers.   8m or 14m doesn''t make much difference imo - Snodgrass or Borini - its a toss up which is better.   Unless you can afford to buy the very best, anything else is just a lottery.  We are probably better sticking to a tried and tested method of buying younger British players and bringing them through. 

Out of Snodgrass or Borini who would you rather have?

Borini for 14 mill is slightly overpriced imo. 10 mill is where it should have been.

Snodgrass at 8 was good business.

Still, i would prefer Borini over Snodgrass any day!

[quote user="lharman7"]Out of Snodgrass or Borini who would you rather have?

Borini for 14 mill is slightly overpriced imo. 10 mill is where it should have been.

Snodgrass at 8 was good business.

Still, i would prefer Borini over Snodgrass any day![/quote]

My impression of Borini is that he can disappear in a match sometimes, if he is not up for it - one thing you could never accuse Snoddy of.......but agree Borini looks a better player.