Sign in to follow this  
daz

take a bow wesley !!

Right, football is about a team of individuals using the skills they favour to overcome their opponents. All of this easier skill etc stuff is really quite by the by. I have known chaps that can keepy-up for almost eternity but when it comes to an actual game of footy, you''d rather they were less good at keepy ups and better at playing.The same as the fact that I have played with players who are unable to move the ball around their feet like some but are more able of getting past their man with feints and deft touches.It could be that Hoolahan finds it easier to score chips like that because that is what his natural preference is, much as you are more likely to see Johnson score with his head or from a pile driver.That''s what made Tettey''s volley last season so good. It isn''t the sort of goal he would be able to replicate on a regular basis.So for me, it''s understandable that people will also have their preference to the better goals. Much like they will for the world cup.RVP''s header, Tim Cahill''s volley and James'' volley were all technically great goals. RVP got a lot of people''s vote because of the difficulty of getting a header that far out on target in such a way as to beat a keeper. That doesn''t take away from the fact that Cahill''s came from a long ball passing diagonally over his body onto his left foot - and managing to strike it sweetly rather than balloon it over the bar. Or James'' where the ball was, in many people''s minds, probably a little too close to his body than you would normally like but he managed to make enough space with his body shape to get a good strike off.Above all else though, as others have said, it''s good that so many of our players are looking more positive going forward. I don''t care who they play against really, you want them to go out there and give the opposition a tough time. They can only beat what is in front of them. The one thing with Adams that I like already is that he is integrating the younger players in more. I know that is far easier to do at Championship level than say the premier league where there is more pressure, more make or break. But he''ll know their capabilities more than anyone.

It was just a cheeky lob.   In acres of space, goal keeper way off his line, an easy goal.   Not even that skilful - a genuine chip is a harder skill - a lob with so much time and space with the goal practically unguarded - not that hard. 

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Flecky''s Flip-Flop"]I have to agree with Morty I''m afraid. It was nowhere near goal of the night. When a keeper comes out that far and that slowly, a scoop over his head is not the most difficult finish technically. I''ve personally always found it more difficult to find the corner from 25/30 yards on the move and a number of our goals were like that. However, that''s not to take anything away from him. It was a very nice finish. But we all know Wes has that in his locker. To be honest, I was just glad to see him on the scoresheet, despite the opposition. I''d really like him to hit the ground running this season. A Wes Hoolahan who''s scoring goals will be a real asset to us this season. [/quote What!? Not a difficult finish? I''m sorry but that''s rubbish. Technically it''s much easier to hit a ball with your laces from 25 yards and find the net. 99% of footballers can strike a ball sweetly with the laces. To scoop a moving ball and loop it to profection is much harder, and only small proportion of footballers could pull that off. However I do agree with the rest of your post. We really need him to hit the ground running, which I predict he will, given the chance. I can the impression Neil Adams will see him as a key player, which is good given the Hughton debacle.[/quote]

Lincoln, sorry, but you don''t watch enough football - I''ve seen 11 year old kids (frequently) score goals of this type. That''s not to take anything away from Wes, he did what was necessary in that position but to build it up into anything beyond the most basic functionlity is absolutely ludicrous.

A good finish, but personally I''d rather see him place it in the corner.  Next time he''s in that situation, maybe in the 90th minute against Ipswich, he''ll not attempt it again for fear of chipping into the keepers hands and probably end up smacking it against the keepers knees. 

I remember Karel Poborski scoring a similar goal in Euro ''96 (I think) and it had all the kids in the playground doing it. Most of us succeeding to be fair. What is impressive about the goal is the ingenuity, but that''s the whole argument about Wes, both for and against. He thinks outside the box and gives us an extra dimension at his best. At his worst he over complicates things. Love him or hate him though, at championship level, where chances shouldn''t be at quite such a premium as last season, having a player like that should be a real bonus.

Genuinely shocked at some peoples opinion.

Good reference to Karel poborsky. The fact that people remember that goal 18 years later shows that it is a rate bit of technical quality that isn''t seen on a reqular basis.

Hoolahan excuted that skill to perfection. Weight of shot, height, accuracy everything was perfect. Anyone thinking that''s easy seriously don''t play the game enough.

Granted the lack of pressure of playing such easy opposition probally gave Wes the confidence to try it. But still, genius.

[quote user="lincoln canary"] But still, genius.[/quote]

No, just a good solid pro doing something any competant player could manage (but maybe not 10 times out of 10, but then neither would Wes as Mr Juler points out)

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Genuinely shocked at some peoples opinion.

Good reference to Karel poborsky. The fact that people remember that goal 18 years later shows that it is a rate bit of technical quality that isn''t seen on a reqular basis.

Hoolahan excuted that skill to perfection. Weight of shot, height, accuracy everything was perfect. Anyone thinking that''s easy seriously don''t play the game enough.

Granted the lack of pressure of playing such easy opposition probally gave Wes the confidence to try it. But still, genius.[/quote]

I seem to remember Wes chipping the keeper against that team from down the road. I think he''s just a confident player myself.

[quote user="Dead Canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Genuinely shocked at some peoples opinion.

Granted the lack of pressure of playing such easy opposition probally gave Wes the confidence to try it. But still, genius.[/quote]

I seem to remember Wes chipping the keeper against that team from down the road. I think he''s just a confident player myself.[/quote]

Correct that was a nice chip. This goal was different though. A lobbed scoop is different to a stabbed chip. Any way both brilliant.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]A lobbed scoop is different to a stabbed chip.[/quote]Err!  Is it something to do with dogs? [^o)]