Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

The transfer front

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?[/quote]The only caveat with that is if player and agent both say the player wants to leave - may be better to cash in than have a disenfranchised player. In that eventuality there''s always the loan route, and I can''t imagine more than one player would leave us ''in the lurch'' on deadline day.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?[/quote]The only caveat with that is if player and agent both say the player wants to leave - may be better to cash in than have a disenfranchised player. In that eventuality there''s always the loan route, and I can''t imagine more than one player would leave us ''in the lurch'' on deadline day.[/quote]That caveat doesn''t really fall into the scenario though, like you say its pretty likely that any player who wants to leave will have told the club about it a while ago, and I''d hope we''ll be preparing for the eventuality.It all comes back to the fact we''re in good financial nick, and its us that can call the shots.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?[/quote]The only caveat with that is if player and agent both say the player wants to leave - may be better to cash in than have a disenfranchised player. In that eventuality there''s always the loan route, and I can''t imagine more than one player would leave us ''in the lurch'' on deadline day.[/quote]That caveat doesn''t really fall into the scenario though, like you say its pretty likely that any player who wants to leave will have told the club about it a while ago, and I''d hope we''ll be preparing for the eventuality.It all comes back to the fact we''re in good financial nick, and its us that can call the shots.[/quote]Yeah I''m not really that concerned. Often on deadline day you get those ''chain'' deals, almost like buying a house - we''re not selling until the replacement has signed on the dotted line, and so on. We are in a strong position.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?[/quote]The only caveat with that is if player and agent both say the player wants to leave - may be better to cash in than have a disenfranchised player. In that eventuality there''s always the loan route, and I can''t imagine more than one player would leave us ''in the lurch'' on deadline day.[/quote]That caveat doesn''t really fall into the scenario though, like you say its pretty likely that any player who wants to leave will have told the club about it a while ago, and I''d hope we''ll be preparing for the eventuality.It all comes back to the fact we''re in good financial nick, and its us that can call the shots.[/quote]Yeah I''m not really that concerned. Often on deadline day you get those ''chain'' deals, almost like buying a house - we''re not selling until the replacement has signed on the dotted line, and so on. We are in a strong position.[/quote]You have to trust the board that we''re not going to flog someone and leave ourselves short. And taking the example of the thread in hand, if we did flog Fer for 15 million (figure completely plucked from nowhere) then I reckon we could get a decent Championship midfielder for that kind of money.  Which we would likely already have lined up. Or at the very worst, a decent loan from a Premiership club. Money like that gives you options!

With regard to the transfer deadline being moved to before the season starts, while I agree with this in principle, I don''t see what difference that would make to the scenario you painted - even if the deadline was the day before the season started, we could still end up losing 2 or 3 players late in that day and have no time to replace them - so we would still be short!

Moving the deadline wouldn''t make a jot of difference to that scenario......

[quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts. We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]

Not sure I really get where you''re coming from. If the window shut at the end of July then surely you''d just have the same last minute offers coming in for players that you''d find hard to replace, just a month earlier? You''d find it no easier to replace them at the end of July than the end of August.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]With regard to the transfer deadline being moved to before the season starts, while I agree with this in principle, I don''t see what difference that would make to the scenario you painted - even if the deadline was the day before the season started, we could still end up losing 2 or 3 players late in that day and have no time to replace them - so we would still be short! Moving the deadline wouldn''t make a jot of difference to that scenario......[/quote]

Sorry, didn''t see this when I posted that.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]

But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?
[/quote]

I''m not saying it''s going to happen, it''s just that the goalposts change so quickly.  If the board accept a £10m bid for ''player x'' then I wouldn''t blame them.  They may think at the time they can replace him with ''player y'' for half the price.  But then Sky have reported it as £15m by the time the deal goes through, and ''player y'' suddenly costs twice as much because they know we have extra money.  Like I say it''s not a prediction but similar things have happened in the past.  It''s just a niggle I have in my head and I will just be far happier once the window closes!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]We are not vulnerable.Dry your eyes.[/quote]

So you don''t think there''s a chance on deadline day premiership sides will come in with stupid money offers for our better players?

If that happens and we sell, we will struggle to replace. Seems a fairly vulnerable position to me.[/quote]Every player has a price, every club will sell if the price is right.And you do realise that with "stupid money" we can buy new players? So with our "stupid money, we won''t really struggle at all, will we?We do not need to sell, the players are on contracts, and we have the upper hand in any negotiations.For a good example of this see the daft money we got for Snodgrass.[/quote]

Can you read? Or are you really thick as sh1 t?

If we lose players late in the day it won''t matter how much cash we have, we won''t have the time to replace them. I can''t believe I''m having to explain this further.

If the window shut a week before the season it would be much easier to ensure you don''t get left short.

If you spent more time actually reading posts properly, instead of focusing on your next slagging match, you''d get the point a bit more often.[/quote]Perhaps instead of assuming the worst about our club (because of course you are a Reading fan) maybe think that the management and board wouldn''t be so stupid to put themselves in the situation.Perhaps if you could actually use the forum properly without all that crap I could read your posts better.Cock.[/quote]
I read it just fine. Makes sense to me and I agree. I remember seasons ago when West Ham started the Championship season with Defoe, and then Spurs came in and they failed to replace him. If other clubs know we have X,Y and Z in the kitty with only a day to go, either we pay the over-inflated prices or pay less and likely get a poor version of the player that departed. Vunerable indeed.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts. We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]

Not sure I really get where you''re coming from. If the window shut at the end of July then surely you''d just have the same last minute offers coming in for players that you''d find hard to replace, just a month earlier? You''d find it no easier to replace them at the end of July than the end of August.

[/quote]

I can understand the confusion. Basically it''s just a case knowing exactly who''s in your squad before the season starts.

The thought of starting a season with players who could leave only 2-3 games in can''t be good for morale or creating settled environment. For me it makes no sense closing the window after the season starts.

Deadline day, as you''ve pointed out, could potentially leave us short whether it is in July or August. I suppose the loan market is a bit of a safety net, but not ideal.

The good squad depth argument, could just be the reason we accept late money offers. False sense of security and all. And if those offers are for hooper, Fer, Olsson, Ruddy & Redmond, is the squad depth really that good to still be strong in this league? I''m not sure.