Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

The transfer front

If someone said to me right now "We go with what we have" I''d take that.

If we are selling Bassong, as you would expect, then I certainly agree that we need a defender or two. I can''t say I have an opinion on Gafaiti yet but I''d certainly rather we had 4 recognised  central defenders. If Martin is moving infield full time now it would be nice to get a youngster in to cover Whitts, although in the worse case scenario I''m sure E.Bennett can play there. I expect the club have got targets which we will move for when/if we lose current squad members.

We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]We are not vulnerable.Dry your eyes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]We are not vulnerable.Dry your eyes.[/quote]

So you don''t think there''s a chance on deadline day premiership sides will come in with stupid money offers for our better players?

If that happens and we sell, we will struggle to replace. Seems a fairly vulnerable position to me.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

We are in a vulnerable position. Very tough for Neil Adams to get it right with transfers, and trying not to be left short.[/quote]We are not vulnerable.Dry your eyes.[/quote]

So you don''t think there''s a chance on deadline day premiership sides will come in with stupid money offers for our better players?

If that happens and we sell, we will struggle to replace. Seems a fairly vulnerable position to me.[/quote]Every player has a price, every club will sell if the price is right.And you do realise that with "stupid money" we can buy new players? So with our "stupid money, we won''t really struggle at all, will we?We do not need to sell, the players are on contracts, and we have the upper hand in any negotiations.For a good example of this see the daft money we got for Snodgrass.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

If that happens and we sell, we will struggle to replace. Seems a fairly vulnerable position to me.[/quote]Every player has a price, every club will sell if the price is right.And you do realise that with "stupid money" we can buy new players? So with our "stupid money, we won''t really struggle at all, will we?We do not need to sell, the players are on contracts, and we have the upper hand in any negotiations.For a good example of this see the daft money we got for Snodgrass.[/quote]

Can you read? Or are you really thick as sh1 t?

If we lose players late in the day it won''t matter how much cash we have, we won''t have the time to replace them. I can''t believe I''m having to explain this further.

If the window shut a week before the season it would be much easier to ensure you don''t get left short.

If you spent more time actually reading posts properly, instead of focusing on your next slagging match, you''d get the point a bit more often.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

If that happens and we sell, we will struggle to replace. Seems a fairly vulnerable position to me.[/quote]Every player has a price, every club will sell if the price is right.And you do realise that with "stupid money" we can buy new players? So with our "stupid money, we won''t really struggle at all, will we?We do not need to sell, the players are on contracts, and we have the upper hand in any negotiations.For a good example of this see the daft money we got for Snodgrass.[/quote]

If we lose players late in the day it won''t matter how much cash we have, we won''t have the time to replace them. I can''t believe I''m having to explain this further.

If the window shut a week before the season it would be much easier to ensure you don''t get left short.

If you spent more time actually reading posts properly, instead of focusing on your next slagging match, you''d get the point a bit more often.[/quote]Perhaps instead of assuming the worst about our club (because of course you are a Reading fan) maybe think that the management and board wouldn''t be so stupid to put themselves in the situation.Perhaps if you could actually use the forum properly without all that crap I could read your posts better.Cock.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

If you spent more time actually reading posts properly, instead of focusing on your next slagging match, you''d get the point a bit more often.[/quote]Perhaps instead of assuming the worst about our club (because of course you are a Reading fan) maybe think that the management and board wouldn''t be so stupid to put themselves in the situation.Perhaps if you could actually use the forum properly without all that crap I could read your posts better.Cock.[/quote]

If a stupid offer comes in they take it, regardless of wether a replacement is lined up or not. Don''t be so deluded to think otherwise. The board will happily put themselves in that position for stupid amounts. Adams has already spoken about the risk of being left short. So clearly our manger feels were a touch vulnerable too.

Still he''s only the manager, and not Morty. So what does he know.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to I really hate having the window open until the end of August. IMO it should shut a week before the season starts. That way you know where you are. There''s a good chance 2,3 maybe more players from our first 11 could start the first couple of games and then leave before the window shuts.

If you spent more time actually reading posts properly, instead of focusing on your next slagging match, you''d get the point a bit more often.[/quote]Perhaps instead of assuming the worst about our club (because of course you are a Reading fan) maybe think that the management and board wouldn''t be so stupid to put themselves in the situation.Perhaps if you could actually use the forum properly without all that crap I could read your posts better.Cock.[/quote]

If a stupid offer comes in they take it, regardless of wether a replacement is lined up or not.
Don''t be so deluded to think otherwise. The board will happily put themselves in that position for stupid amounts. Adams has already spoken about the risk of being left short. So clearly our manger feels were a touch vulnerable too.

Still he''s only the manager, and not Morty. So what does he know.[/quote]And you know this how?Oh, thats right, you don''t.

And for goodness sake, its patently obvious the whole quoting thing isn''t working out for you. Stop it.

We probably need one defender, two if Bassong leaves.

Other than that we only need to replace like for like, except Bunn who we don''t need to replace.

Is likely that any news would be outgoing before we hear of anybody else incoming.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"]And for goodness sake, its patently obvious the whole quoting thing isn''t working out for you. Stop it.[/quote]

You know life really isn''t really working out for you, could you maybe stop that too?[/quote]Oh dear, you''re really not very good at this, are you?

Lincoln Canary, there is a loan window which opens just after the transfer window closes, don''t know the exact details - but that is when Championship clubs can see who is has been left out of Premier League 25''s and make moves for them.

Didn''t Adams comment recently that the club were looking to bring in another centre-back? 
If we can bring in another RB and CB then we have at least 2 players for every position and will only need to replace what we lose (which I obviously hope won''t be that many...)

Posted what follows elsewhere, but though it apposite here.

Re 1 x defender short. if you go purely on numbers then yes we are, however RM can play RB and SW can play LB, although either of those two scenarios would leave us with only 3 CB''s including young Gafaiti, so would you go for another RB or CB? Although EB and Jacob Murphy have played at RB this pre-season (I think), so it could be argued we actually have enough cover for emergencies?

If we bring in another CB then I suspect AG will go on loan, with a call back clause (if that''s allowed) although this new CB will only probably be 4th choice, or if first choice it means one of RB or MT dropping to 4th choice, which they are unlikely to be too happy about!

If we bring in another RB, then again they may well be 3rd choice behind SW & RM.

So the liklihood is that if we get another RB or CB they will be a younger player making his way in the game and we have those anyway and they are essentially FOC, or, they may be a more mature player seeing out his final year or two and I''m not sure that is the way we want to go, last season being a case in point.

Interesting dilemna though.

A bit confused by that Ray - why would you want to play Steven Whittaker at LB when we have Garrido and Olsson who can play in that position already?It really does come down to if they see Martin stepping inside from now or not. If they don''t think so quite yet then we need another CB. If they want to use Martin as cover then we need to get another RB just in case that happens. Or the other defenders are low on form.

Chicken,

I''m not saying I want to play him at LB, I''m saying he can play at LB, has played there for Scotland I believe and started his career at LB.

The point I was making is that we have 7 defenders, if you include Gafaiti and exclude Bassong, however two of these defenders can play two different positions and then on top of that we have EB who can play RB and Jacob Murphy has played there.

Then even if we do buy or loan in, would we go for someone as a back up or as first choice? If bringing in experience at the back end of their career. they would probably cost a few quid in wages, if looking at youth, then we have our own home grown who are FOC, as I said a dilemna.

But may be worth discussing!.

"vulnerable" would be a Blackpool surely, and a few other clubs with very limited squads. Our squad right now is strong with very decent depth and quality for a Championship club and a good mix of senior and younger players. Even if we are hit with two, three or even four departures, the squad would remain relatively strong and the club would undoubtedly have options to bring in additions should they need to do that.

My guess is that the club are fully aware of the players that could move on and are shaping the early season around those eventualities.....just like any other club.

My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.

[quote user="chrisr1606"]My only worry would be if too good to refuse money comes in late, not leaving enough time to get the replacements in.[/quote]But then if you don''t have a replacement lined up, and its going to leave the squad dangerously short, its not "too good to refuse" is it?