Off topic I know but how good are Porto''s scouting team, signed Falcao, Rodriguez, Hulk and Jackson Martinez amoungst others for relatively low fees and sold on for big money, obviously Porto are massive club but fair play to them for spotting talent! I''m sure many a Premier League team wouldn''t have minded some of the above for the fees they paid!!!!

They have done well, there are another 100 odd names you could add to that list as well. They do have the unique situation of being able to be a halfway house for South Americans with all the work permits etc. I bet the Real Madrids, Man City''s and Bayerns knew all about these players when Porto bought them initially but couldn''t get them because of work permits etc.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]They have done well, there are another 100 odd names you could add to that list as well. They do have the unique situation of being able to be a halfway house for South Americans with all the work permits etc. I bet the Real Madrids, Man City''s and Bayerns knew all about these players when Porto bought them initially but couldn''t get them because of work permits etc.[/quote]It is probably blindingly obvious, Jimmy, but why are Porto uniquely in that position?

The unique position Porto are in is that the leagues rather loose rules on part-ownership deals.

Porto didn''t own most of these players, sometimes only having as little as a 40% stake in them. Isn''t much risk when you don''t have to invest much.

As for work permits, that is only a ruling that affects UK clubs, other European countries will give VISAs to footballers coming in as long as they are signing for a professional club.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The unique position Porto are in is that the leagues rather loose rules on part-ownership deals.

Porto didn''t own most of these players, sometimes only having as little as a 40% stake in them. Isn''t much risk when you don''t have to invest much.

As for work permits, that is only a ruling that affects UK clubs, other European countries will give VISAs to footballers coming in as long as they are signing for a professional club.[/quote]Thanks Bethnal. But in that case presumably Benfica particularly and Sporting are in the same position in terms of being able to attract players clubs in some other leagues cannot. The top Portuguese clubs have an advantage but Porto is not uniquely advantaged.

[quote user="Nicko"]Hulk is rubbish[/quote]

Hulk was immense for Porto a huge factor in their successes. Especially in the side that won the UEFA cup in 2011.

He took a decline going to the footballing graveyard that is the Russian league.

He certainly isn''t rubbish.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]They have done well, there are another 100 odd names you could add to that list as well. They do have the unique situation of being able to be a halfway house for South Americans with all the work permits etc. I bet the Real Madrids, Man City''s and Bayerns knew all about these players when Porto bought them initially but couldn''t get them because of work permits etc.[/quote]Sorry James, but this infuriates me! Are you unable to count to one? Is mathematics a particular weak point of yours? Let me help you. There is only ONE Real Madrid, ONE Manchester City and ONE Bayern Munich. Plural would only be acceptable if you were talking about your Murphy''s.

''Hulk is rubbish'' ..... yep, he didnt have the best world cup, but which brazillian did? He''s not so rubbish that i''d complain if he fancied a couple of years at CR tho.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Sorry James, but this infuriates me! Are you unable to count to one? Is mathematics a particular weak point of yours? Let me help you. There is only ONE Real Madrid, ONE Manchester City and ONE Bayern Munich. Plural would only be acceptable if you were talking about your Murphy''s.[/quote][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entup0bSYjw[/url]

[quote user="A Gay Schoolboy"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Sorry James, but this infuriates me! Are you unable to count to one? Is mathematics a particular weak point of yours? Let me help you. There is only ONE Real Madrid, ONE Manchester City and ONE Bayern Munich. Plural would only be acceptable if you were talking about your Murphy''s.[/quote][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entup0bSYjw[/url][/quote][:D]

Porto have had great success at doing this but Benfica do it too to a certain extent. Lazar Markovic, Nemanja Matic, Angel DiMaria and Axel Witsel have all been sold of big profits. Given Sporting Lisbon''sreported financial problems I am not surprised they haven''t followed this model but then they do have a very good youth academy.

I think the one thing that makes Port unique in their success is the sheer quantity of players but I supposewhen you can get into the Champoins League ever year and nearly always get out of the group you are going to attract top South American players who will be willing to use your club as a stepping stone to a bigger move.

Davo

The common theme here is language, brazillians speak portuguese, it is what makes adjustment to european culture, money, food and footy an easier proccess for those players that dont have a second language. You can be sure that one of the first thing they do is learn basic engish, spanish and italian when they arrive. Yes, its a stepping stone but also a valuable ''easing in'' to europe and its footy riches.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]The common theme here is language, brazillians speak portuguese, it is what makes adjustment to european culture, money, food and footy an easier proccess for those players that dont have a second language. You can be sure that one of the first thing they do is learn basic engish, spanish and italian when they arrive. Yes, its a stepping stone but also a valuable ''easing in'' to europe and its footy riches.[/quote]I understood that possibility, but only one of the four players mentioned in the OP as being naturally attracted by Porto is Brazilian. The other three are Spanish-speaking Colombians who presumably would find it easier to assimilate in Spain, although I gather Portuguese and Spanish are not that dissimilar languages.