Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Famous last words.

I think that if we get this week over the likelihood that we will lose anybody before the start of the season becomes quite remote.

I am referring mainly to Fer and Redmond, but I''m one of those who would like to see both RVW and Hooper given a chance to redeem themselves next season in the Championship. I never really expected us to lose Ruddy, for some reason, and I belief Olsson''s shoulder problem may have thwarted any immediate interest in him.

Not even Bassong or Becchio have gone, and these were my two front-runners.

Wishful thinking, I suppose, as these matters have a habit of bubbling under for a while (such as Fer then Redmond to Southampton) and then suddenly springing up on us. On a scale of ten I had Fer at about eight to leave, hopefully that can be reduced to five now, or even four if reports of his keenness to stay are valid.

No news is good news for me but, at the same time, no news has meant no incoming players either.

Perhaps I should have kept this posting back for next Thursday and not this.

No, I hear what you''re saying, the longer it goes on, the more rumours that fall by the wayside, and the more "alleged" clubs that don''t meet our asking prices, can only be a good thing.

If and that''s a big IF we can retain the squad as it stands then I''m not sure we need anybody else? My biggest concern is that the majority are the squad that failed us so badly last season and are they still in the same mind set.

[quote user="InchY Van Dogs Dangly."]If and that''s a big IF we can retain the squad as it stands then I''m not sure we need anybody else? My biggest concern is that the majority are the squad that failed us so badly last season and are they still in the same mind set.[/quote]But surely the catalyst for change is the new manager?We have new players too, also "new" players in Elliot Bennett and the youth players, eager to make their mark.

With Fer still on his holidays it is far to early to start making predictions that he will stay. I know his agent can still be working away even if Fer isn''t in the country, things will start to happen a lot quicker once he is back and more focused on his future.

Clubs will be going through their list of targets and players such as Redmond etc might be 2nd or 3rd choice targets or clubs are waiting to sell before they can buy, Swansea have just lost a left back and now might be looking at Olsson for example and Southampton have been knocked back on Fraiser Forster so might turn attention to Ruddy.

The Premier League clubs are only just starting to make signings in earnest and a lot of things will happen between now and 1st September - if Fer plays the first few games of the season and looks excellent a few Prem clubs might start to think he is worth the risk, same with Redmond, Hooper et al. All Norwich can do is make their best case to players to stay and cross their fingers that no one comes in and turns the player''s heads.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

With Fer still on his holidays it is far to early to start making predictions that he will stay. I know his agent can still be working away even if Fer isn''t in the country, things will start to happen a lot quicker once he is back and more focused on his future.

Clubs will be going through their list of targets and players such as Redmond etc might be 2nd or 3rd choice targets or clubs are waiting to sell before they can buy, Swansea have just lost a left back and now might be looking at Olsson for example and Southampton have been knocked back on Fraiser Forster so might turn attention to Ruddy.

The Premier League clubs are only just starting to make signings in earnest and a lot of things will happen between now and 1st September - if Fer plays the first few games of the season and looks excellent a few Prem clubs might start to think he is worth the risk, same with Redmond, Hooper et al. All Norwich can do is make their best case to players to stay and cross their fingers that no one comes in and turns the player''s heads.

[/quote]It also works in our favour though, that the longer we can hold out, and the closer to the window closing, the better price we''ll get.If a players does have his head turned, the best we can at least hope for is a good price.

I had overlooked the gap between the first game and the window closing but, yes, the longer we can hang on the better.Then if they are tempted away, then the price will be higher at least.

We gain this advantage, but will have little time to get replacements.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I had overlooked the gap between the first game and the window closing but, yes, the longer we can hang on the better.Then if they are tempted away, then the price will be higher at least.

We gain this advantage, but will have little time to get replacements.

[/quote]Well this is where you have to trust that the management team and the board are doing their job, and are aware of the possibility of players leaving, and have replacements already scouted out.I should imagine that one of the first jobs after relegation would have been sitting every player down, and discussing what they want to do.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

It also works in our favour though, that the longer we can hold out, and the closer to the window closing, the better price we''ll get.

If a players does have his head turned, the best we can at least hope for is a good price.
[/quote]

True, but desperation cuts both ways - everyday closer the window the more Bassong et al (the 3Bs as they be known from now on) price drops.

Also, if a week before the window closes Fer decides that he wants out and basically refuses to play anymore his value will suddenly plummet as Norwich are forced to sell or pay him to knock about in the reserves until January. If Norwich hold on too tight to players there is the risk they will really kick out to force a move, which hits on value.

The window usually hits ''peak'' early to mid August, will probably be a bit later this season due to World Cup - still a lot to happen yet. Especially with Southampton who are yet to really replace the players they have lost (they are also in the market for a left back).

I''m not concerned Redmond will leave.  He seems a good honest lad who''s been brought up well and is a man of his word imo.  He says he wants to stay, so the only way he''ll leave is if we get really stupid money for him and tell him he''s being sold.  

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]will have little time to get replacements.[/quote]If we should lose players at the last minute, we will at least be able to loan players from Prem clubs week after the window closes.

Yeah I agree, Redmond seems committed to promotion with his big interest in the club - I''m unaware where the story Fer is happy at the club, but I hope it''s true, like on my earlier thread he will be a great player next season and will most likely help him grow for 2016 .. - as for transfers I think we need to offload becchio and maybe bring in a CB to pair with turner.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]It also works in our favour though, that the longer we can hold out, and the closer to the window closing, the better price we''ll get.If a players does have his head turned, the best we can at least hope for is a good price.[/quote]

True, but desperation cuts both ways - everyday closer the window the more Bassong et al (the 3Bs as they be known from now on) price drops.

Also, if a week before the window closes Fer decides that he wants out and basically refuses to play anymore his value will suddenly plummet as Norwich are forced to sell or pay him to knock about in the reserves until January. If Norwich hold on too tight to players there is the risk they will really kick out to force a move, which hits on value.

The window usually hits ''peak'' early to mid August, will probably be a bit later this season due to World Cup - still a lot to happen yet. Especially with Southampton who are yet to really replace the players they have lost (they are also in the market for a left back).

[/quote]Yes, a fair point, but I was only really talking about our real "saleable" assets, which I don''t really count the likes of Becchio and Bassong to be. If they don''t move for a nominal fee, they stay and remain part of the squad, its neither here nor there, in the grand scheme.I would doubt we would let a situation develop such as a player effectively going on strike, like I said, I would like to hope that the management team sat down with the players, and they fall into one of these categories :-1. Players who definitely want to leave no matter what offer comes in.2. Players that would leave, depending on who is offering.3. Players that want to stay regardless.4. Players that we no longer want, and are looking to punt on.And I know its often said, and eyes are rolled, but these players are under contract.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

It also works in our favour though, that the longer we can hold out, and the closer to the window closing, the better price we''ll get.

If a players does have his head turned, the best we can at least hope for is a good price.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, a fair point, but I was only really talking about our real "saleable" assets, which I don''t really count the likes of Becchio and Bassong to be. If they don''t move for a nominal fee, they stay and remain part of the squad, its neither here nor there, in the grand scheme.

I would doubt we would let a situation develop such as a player effectively going on strike, like I said, I would like to hope that the management team sat down with the players, and they fall into one of these categories :-

1. Players who definitely want to leave no matter what offer comes in.
2. Players that would leave, depending on who is offering.
3. Players that want to stay regardless.
4. Players that we no longer want, and are looking to punt on.

And I know its often said, and eyes are rolled, but these players are under contract.
[/quote]

I think you are right Morty, I don''t see any of the current crop of players as potential ''strikers'' - especially RvW *Ba dum tssh*

Whilst Adams has said he''s sat the players down and knows how they feel, there is always the risk of them changing their mind at the last minute or being tempted away with large pay rises and extended contracts.

Making predictions in football is a risky game, it only takes a player to catch wind of another clubs interest for them to start working on engineering a move. A wink from Stoke here or a nod from Southampton there and we might see once commited players starting to lose motivation and determination - I don''t envy Adams the job of keeping a squad that, on paper, is too good for the Championship happy - especially while it seems Premier League clubs are happy to spend all that extra TV money on fees and salaries.

Don''t forget, Norwich have a squad of players who have all just had a pay cut - and whilst they probably deserve that for not keeping the club in the Premier League, its not something any of them are going to be pleased with.

(I''ll stop quoting as its getting unnecessarily long lol)Completely agree with all that, I, and everyone are aware of the realities, and the possibilities. And really a management team can only do the best they can. But I would like to think that they have prepared for every eventuality, they will be aware of all the possibilities, and if they haven''t prepared for them, and we end up suddenly short, then I will be as critical as anyone that they have neglected their duties.But considering we have been relegated, we really are in a strong position, for a relegated side.I wonder if QPR put relegation pay cuts in all the contracts of the fancy Dan journeymen they signed lol?

IMO, City are in a stronger position now than when the window opened and it looked like several players would be leaving. The Snodgrass deal was very good business for a player in the last year of his contract. Fer may have had his head turned by the World Cup (though he only played 20 minutes). He''s not 25 until January, though, and a move to QPR would be risky. Similarly for Redmond, who at 20 still has his whole career ahead of him. It''ll also depend on whether they and other players buy into the new management''s vision of attacking play.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City are in a stronger position now than when the window opened and it looked like several players would be leaving. The Snodgrass deal was very good business for a player in the last year of his contract. Fer may have had his head turned by the World Cup (though he only played 20 minutes). He''s not 25 until January, though, and a move to QPR would be risky. Similarly for Redmond, who at 20 still has his whole career ahead of him. It''ll also depend on whether they and other players buy into the new management''s vision of attacking play.[/quote]End of the day, same as with everything, its about how full or empty your cup is.People called the Snodgrass sale "selling our best assets on the cheap"That probably tells you how full their cup is.

Apparently QPR only had relegation reduction clauses on the players who were with the squad when promoted - all the journeymen and expensive additions had no such clause in their contracts, as they wouldn''t accept them. (Another highlight to the excellent job done by McNally).

If QPR hadn''t been promoted first time round they would have been in BIG trouble and a fire sale would be currently happening.

Luckily Norwich won''t be in that situation whatever the results.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Apparently QPR only had relegation reduction clauses on the players who were with the squad when promoted - all the journeymen and expensive additions had no such clause in their contracts, as they wouldn''t accept them. (Another highlight to the excellent job done by McNally).

If QPR hadn''t been promoted first time round they would have been in BIG trouble and a fire sale would be currently happening.

Luckily Norwich won''t be in that situation whatever the results.

[/quote][Y]