Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Question for exiles.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If you have moved away from Norwich, whilst being staunch Norwich supporters, have any of you have tried to follow a team where you have moved to?   I''ve lived in different places, but never been able to follow a different team, or even get very interested in one.   I tried hard to get interested in Plymouth, living nearby, but just couldn''t really do it - and went to Carlisle.....once.   So has anyone managed to at least get interested and follow a team near where they live now?    I could get interested in Carlisle if  Grant Holt goes to play for them, but that is about it.

[/quote]Not whilst in the UK, even though I follow Hull as a 2nd team as that''s my mum''s side and I used to go to Boothferry Park over some of the school holidays as well as CR duing term time and home-holidays.However, time spent in Germany & Austria meant that I can follow Leverkusen & Sturm Graz with no split loyalties!

I grew up in Birmingham but my father and his family were all Norfollk. He was a Norwich fan and so I inherited that :)

I live in Kent now, Norwich are just in my blood, it''s who I am. I have a soft spot for Villa as my step dad, a fellow brummie, is a fan.

I''ve often gone to see other football matches. I love the game and it''s quite nice to see other teams. A bit of a weird feeling though. It''s like watching through a pane of glass. The only team I really care about is Norwich. It''s the way it will always be.

My children are Kent folk but I''m happy to say they will also become Norwich fans too.

One of the most interesting threads for ages. Thanks OP and for all the contributions which I found really interesting. I am now a "returned exile," having spent much of my adult life in other parts of the country for career reasons. I have never lived more than 150 miles away, so it has never been much of an issue getting to home games, although as a season ticket holder, it does rack up the miles! The round trip that some fans make is amazing! But in some way the "coming home" element makes it even more special.The other thing that I have found is that being a keen fan, you tend to get bonded with the football community across the country. I have had friends that support many teams, even Ipswich! The best thing about this is that you get to know and keep an eye on the results for several teams, so it broadened your interest and knowledge. I was invited to see a Norwich-Ipswich Derby at Portaloo road in the home fan area with a friend who had a spare season ticket + the same thing at the Old Den with a Millwall fan. I "bottled" both - I don''t think that I could have enjoyed it!Living at various stages near the midland and the south east, it was actually a lot easier to get to away games than it is living in Norwich so probably went to more away games than I do now!

[quote user="Absent Friend"]"Plastic support group."

How true Bor.

For most of us exiles our credit cards certainly take a hammering every time we go to a home game.[/quote]

Too true.  One good thing at the start of this season is two home games in four days.  Two games for the price of one trip.