Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Question for exiles.

Nah. I have thought about going to watch Brighton if I have nothing better to do, but I really couldn''t care less about any other teams.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC. Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back![/quote]

I kind of fall into that category, I only started supporting Norwich when I moved to the area and started to go and see them in the early 90''s.

But in my defence, I didn''t really follow a team before that, so my conscience is clear!
[/quote]

Ah, a binner !!

Outed, good and proper [:D]

[/quote]

You and me are going to have words, next time I see you in the pub[;)]
[/quote]

You going to buy me a beer ? [:D]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC. Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back![/quote]I kind of fall into that category, I only started supporting Norwich when I moved to the area and started to go and see them in the early 90''s.But in my defence, I didn''t really follow a team before that, so my conscience is clear![/quote]

Ah, a binner !!

Outed, good and proper [:D]

[/quote]You and me are going to have words, next time I see you in the pub[;)][/quote]

You going to buy me a beer ? [:D]

[/quote]Yes.Yes I am.[:D]

I''m not an exile (well, was once for 6 months whilst serving overseas), but have been to other games not involving City.

Such as Arsenal v Sheff Wed in a Cup tie, Exeter v Plymouth, QPR v West Ham, Peterborough v QPR, games at Torquay and Halifax and some Crewe games (were my 2nd team). That was purely because I was in the area concerned at the time, and wanted to watch a game. A bit surreal when you don''t have a vested interest in the result (apart from the Crewe games)

Ha, been living in Sheffield for 32 years now. It''s a great base for watching football, plenty of opportunity to watch matches at lots of different grounds. Like others I enjoy live football and would much prefer to put money directly into grass roots, I also like the company of good friends and enjoy a beer or two, so over the years have been to matches at all South Yorkshire grounds (and some beyond). That is one bonus of not being in the Prem this season, short away trips for a change.

I''ll never support anyone other than my beloved Norwich though. Well apart from Hallam & Redmires Rangers U11 this season, my sons team and the team I assist with the coaching.

What a great thread, just goes to show, you can take the man out of Norwich, but not the other way round !For myself, I couldn''t name a player in the Swindon team, I don''t follow them at all, and I''m usually traveling to Norwich whilst they are playing ! City ''til I die

[quote user="swindoncanary"]What a great thread, just goes to show, you can take the man out of Norwich, but not the other way round !For myself, I couldn''t name a player in the Swindon team, I don''t follow them at all, and I''m usually traveling to Norwich whilst they are playing ! City ''til I die [/quote]

A bit surreal, but I met a Swindon fan here in the Philippines last year. He lives less than a hundred yards from our hallowed turf. Lucky idiot.

Non-exile mort answers a resounding "no" to the original question that has nothing to do with him. He knows we all really reeeeeally want to know his opinion, so he gave it. Now we can rest easy.

Someone then reversed the question, asking if you dropped your old team for the Canaries upon coming to Norwich. He swept in to answer that one too, albeit wrongly, as he said he had no team before being exiled to Norwich.

What a pompous tit.

I recently moved to Dublin from the fine city. I could never support any other team, but would jump at the chance to go and watch a love game somewhere. It would be great to feel the atmosphere of a match, without any of the disappointment of a bad result. There would effectively be no bad results. I''m also looking forward to taking in a Hurling match. That looks brutal!

Playin a game

Playing a... Love game!

Do ya love me? Are you playing your love games wit me?

I just want to know what to do cos'' I need your love a lot

A come on now!

[quote user="Buh"]Playin a game

Playing a... Love game!

Do ya love me? Are you playing your love games wit me?

I just want to know what to do cos'' I need your love a lot

A come on now![/quote][:D]

star_manic wrote "A bit surreal, but I met a Swindon fan here in the Philippines last year. He lives less than a hundred yards from our hallowed turf. Lucky idiot." I''ve been told that on the Swindon Town message board they have someone entitled   "NorwichRobin"  !

I''m the opposite. Born in Essex and a West Ham season ticket holder as a kid. West Ham are still my team, but always had a soft spot for Norwich.

Moved to Norwich in 2000 to go UEA stayed for 8 years, both kids born in the city. in 2004 a friend at NNDC said we should get on the waiting list, which we did and got the last 4 games, first game was Man Utd at home 2-0

Now I will get abuse, but I love both clubs and want them both to succeed (draws when we play each other lol) people will say I''m not a real fan.

but I now live back in Essex and me and my son come up for every home game and I spend thousands each year on supporting Norwich.

I guess mine is a bit of an odd one for an exile, brought up in North Wales from birth with a dad who was a Liverpool season ticket holder from 1947-73, he took me to watch Wrexham as a wee boy, but at around 4 years old i had fell in love with Norwich City.

No-one in the famiy remembers why or how ( including me) but i have never wavered, my dad eventually took me to see Norwich in 1979, started to get the train to games in the early 80`s and as soon as i passed my driving test in 1986 i was getting to 20 plus games a season.

I have always took a lot of stick as we are close to Manchester and Liverpool but not once have i considered changing, both my boys come with me and are Norwich thru and thru, some of my happiest memories in life are connected to the club.

And this may sound strange as i have never lived there or wasn`t born there, everytime i come for a home game it always feel like im coming home, so at 47 years old im still excited for the new season and can`t wait for it to start, i expect i will get some stick for not being born in Norfolk, but i care not, tin hat on......

Tim - I know exactly what you mean.

When I come down it feels like I''m coming home.  I would say I know Norwich and the surrounding area''s as well as if not better in some instances than I do my home area.

I would have moved to the City 10-12 years ago had my wife agreed. Think I married a wrong un''

Definitely married a wrong un Clarkey ha ha , like yourself i would love to move down there but house prices are roughly double down there, but both my boys would go tomorrow if they could find jobs down there.

As an exile, I have gone to an occasional local match along with a mate who supports them. It doesn''t happen often because i would rather watch City on a stream or listen on Canary player than watch another team live. It just doesn''t work for me.

First game 1960, Dad wouldn''t let me go any earlier because of the crush from 59-59.

Left Norwich for NZ in 1974 but came back to Norwich 1980. No work so moved to Cornwall where I have been since.

Been to many, many away games but very few home games in those 34 years.

Rugby country down here in Cornwall and I cater for one of the local sides on Saturdays now so last season didn''t get to see more than every other game on streaming. What kind of plastic is that?

Have been to half a dozen Argyle games when bigger sides, including City came to Plymouth.

Truro City made it to Conference South for one season and went to evening games but not to support, only to watch the highest level in the area.

Could not contemplate supporting any other side and run the gauntlet of abuse from the Cornish who can choose any team they want to "follow".

Do get cheesed off with the torrent of abuse from inbreds who purport to have supported Chelsea all their lives but coudn''t even name one player.

During the London Marathon a couple of years ago, I gave a chorus of "City till I die" on Tower Bridge.

Eldest son born in Norwich so supports City and is probably worse than me. He named his son Keelan and that is the greatest ever compliment he could give my Grandson!

When I left Norfolk as a teenager in the late 60s I struck lucky by ending up at school in Hereford.

I always continued supporting City although information about second division teams was far harder to get hold of than it is from a distance now; my Dad wouldn''t even have a TV!

1972 was just brilliant because not only were we promoted to the First Division for the first time I was also able to join in the fun of Hereford''s famous cup run that included the Ronnie Radford epic goal against Newcastle - I''m not sure if even to this day I''ve seen a better one live.

I still look out for the Bulls'' scores - though in their current sad state it looks as though they will be out of business altogether very soon.

I''ve studied and worked in London, worked and retired in the North West, but like others I''ve never, ever considered changing allegiance and never will.

What''s gratifying is that I''ve never had a negative reaction to being a City fan (plenty of sympathy though!) not even from an Ipswich lad whom I had to play in a golf match. I beat him 3 and 1 by the way.

I think there''s a big difference between going to watch other teams for the enjoyment of seeing a live match, and actually supporting them.

I''m still a Norwich fan first and foremost and I couldn''t ever support any other team in the UK, although I did once watch a Brighton game at the old athletics stadium while at uni down there. However I''ve been living abroad for about 8 years now and I do tend to follow a ''local'' side where I live. Currently in South Korea and I go to most Jeonbuk Hyundai games and actually have a season ticket (which costs a whole $45!) just to get my fix of football. I''ve been following them since 2007 and I''d say they''re my second team well behind Norwich - chances of them ever meeting are virtually zero though so I don''t see a problem with that. If by some bizarre miracle they ever did play one another, theres no contest which shirt I''d be wearing - Yellow all the way.

I may well be relocating to France next year and I''ll probably go along to watch whatever the local team is there too, but Norwich will always be the club I truly support.

I also lived in the UAE for 18 months and went to a few Al Wahda Club, Al Dhafra and Al Jazira games, partly as several of the students I was teaching played for their various youth teams and offered me free tickets. True story, myself and a friend were the only westerners there at one Al-Dhafra game and we got spotted in the stands and invited up by the dude who owns the club (one of the minor Emirati sheikhs, still a multi-billionaire) to sit on the comfortable seats next to the executive box, where a waiter (in full tuxedo) served up china cups of mint tea and a plate of fruit! Most bizarre experience ever at a football match!

Suppose I''m an ex-exile, but I''ll stick my oar in.andyc24_uk said "I think there''s a big difference between going to watch other teams for

the enjoyment of seeing a live match, and actually supporting them
" Agreed. Matches watched without any Norwich interest include Chelsea (in laws support them), Fulham (free tickets), QPR (mates), Watford, Hayes (local - before the whole Yeading thing) and Hillingdon Borough. Never seems quite right, like I''m cheating - but I don''t get that if I watch non-NCFC matches on TV.And to my glory-hunting shame I signed up to that Ebbsfleet experiment. Classic "good idea at the time" material. Even with the whole structured involvement I didn''t actually feel involved.Went to Cuba about ten years ago, random street market in Havana, odd bits and pieces of interest. In process of buying something noticed the guy running it had a football shirt on. Faded, nearly scratched off logo. Uxbridge FC! I haven''t ever seen one before or since and I have lived in Uxbridge. He seem embarrassed that I pointed it out, but then tried to sell it to me!

I have never lived in Norwich myself, born & bred in Sheffield, lived in Hull whilst at University and also in Arica, Chile for a while.

I have supported Norwich since the late 80s when I started to know football, wasn’t really given a choice to my allegiance with a very passionate Grandad, Dad and brother as fans (not that I am complaining). No one comes close to Norwich however there are other scores that I always keep an eye out for and most of my mates actually keep an eye out for the NCFC score now as my passion for the yellows has rubbed off on them.

It is hard to go through schools in Sheffield a proud footballing city and not get an allegiance to Red or Blue. I took the dignified stance of Sheff Weds as they were the better team and also in a different division to NCFC by that point. I hate with a passion Sheff U. I also follow Chesterfield and have been to Wembley a few times to see them and also Hull City, went quite a lot when at Uni there so keep an eye out for their results. Of these teams I actually would say I support Chesterfield (never an issue with NCFC) and wish the others well.

I am a passionate fan of Hannover 96 (my Dad was born there, grew up in Norwich, Grandad from Norwich) as well, watch all their games online and also get to at least one game a season

I live in Aussie... I have no problem supporting my new local team of West Sydney Wanderers - but then they are in the same league (physically or metaphorically!) as Norwich.

When I''ve moved to different places in the UK, I''ve always had a soft spot for local teams (i.e. Brighton) - always want them to do well, but I never "support" them - because Norwich will always be number 1, and they are technically rivals.

It''s easier when you move abroad as WSW are hardly ever likely to play City... :)