Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Question for exiles.

If you have moved away from Norwich, whilst being staunch Norwich supporters, have any of you have tried to follow a team where you have moved to?   I''ve lived in different places, but never been able to follow a different team, or even get very interested in one.   I tried hard to get interested in Plymouth, living nearby, but just couldn''t really do it - and went to Carlisle.....once.   So has anyone managed to at least get interested and follow a team near where they live now?    I could get interested in Carlisle if  Grant Holt goes to play for them, but that is about it.

No, never even considered it. Lived near Lincoln for 23 years before my retirement out here in the Philippines and went to Sinsil Bank just the once. For our pre season friendly a few years ago. Sat just along from Hicks and one of his boys.

Good question, but following another side just does not interest me in the slightest. Plus over here the local league, whilst a reasonable standard has yet to attract us expats to the games in any great numbers.

Despite being a "plastic" these days my passion for NCFC had not left me!!!

I haven''t lived in Norwich since I was 10 so 32 years ago, but have never been able to or indeed felt the need to support another team really.

My three children have all been brought up as ardent Norwich fans but I have always said IF they decided to follow the local team rather than a ''glory'' team like Chelsea or Man City etc then I would take them along. Thankfully no signs of that yet!

I am tempted, however, to on occasions take them along to my local non league team, Leamington Brakes, so they can at least see some live football.

Hell no! I''ve been to a few Perth Glory games but the standard is so slow.

I will only ever go again when there is a decent marquee signing playing eg, Fowler, Dwight Yorke(Sydney FC a few years back).

Once a yellow always a yellow and all that!

Canary through and through - will never change even though haven''t lived in Norwich for nearly 40 years!

Lived in Wimbledon - never went but did look out for there results but not as MKDons. Reading - not interested and now live in Midlands near WBA. Seen City there every time and loved the FA Cup the other year. Brother in law supports WBA and have watch a couple of games with him but no interest in the game for me (every time I have gone with him they have lost he he). Went to Vile last year with a neighbour and nearly had a fight as I was not supporting them - the neanderthal needed his wife to point out the lack of interest he was that stupid!!.

So basically NO and never will support any other team. There is only one no matter what division and what style of play and who ever is the manager!

I''ve never and could never ''properly'' support anyone else - I have my s/t so go as often as I can - but have always been happy watching pretty much anything and take my boys to watch local sides like AFC Wimbledon and Brentford (+ a couple of non league sides, never Chelsea) - my lads claim dual support of both NCFC and the bees.

Lived over here for half my life and never considered properly supporting any other team. Am involved in schoolboy footy and player development, occasionally go to Cork City games, good atmosphere, full on fast attacking football, but doesnt ''get me'' like watching ncfc does....basically if it aint Norwich i have only a passing interest.

Would never support anyone else but for the 25 years I live in Milton Keynes I went to the odd Northampton game and later MK Dons games. Still check on their results.

In my 3 years at Bournemouth university I would go to see Bournemouth play every now and again and watched Norwich reserves when they were down there.

When i was based in Melbourne i went to see Melbourne Victory a few times but never got into it. However got more interested in Aussie rules at the MCG. Now football here in Finland is really boring so no interest here.

Not really.I have lived in different places for University and  then work straight after before returning to Norwich, genuinely wanted to come back after finding most of the South East experiences of life to be no where near as good as Norfolk.However I do follow a few teams due to family etc. I suppose the closest I came to supporting a local team was QPR when I lived in West London for 18months. My landlady went away on holiday and lent me her season ticket. Went to watch a couple of games. This was a few years ago now - back when they had only just come back up from League One and well before the silly money hit them.Other than that due to the fact my family (grandparents etc) are from North or East London and a good friend I follow the trials and tribulations of Arsenal, West Ham and Plymouth Argyle. Norwich will always be my first and foremost team - the others pale in comparison, but it can be fun to look up and down the leagues to see how well other teams are doing. Especially Plymouth who have some really fantastic fans but have had a poor time of things recently considering at one point, not so long ago they were knocking on the door of the Championship play-offs.

Nope, been in Scotland for 20 odd years and never considered it. I do get along to some games just out of general interest, Yesterday i was at Stirling Albion vs. Hibernian...Hibs currently have Owain Tudur-Jones (not improved) and Michael Nelson (was an unsued sub) playing for them. 

Never lived in Norwich, so would not count as an "exile".

I live in Bergen, Norway, and have supported Norwich since 1986 (the year I turned 13).

Have received a lot of stick from people for that. "Why support such a lowly team, etc".

Glory hunters dont understand. You dont chop and change teams to support. But my arguments on the matter always fall for deaf ears, sadly.

In Norway, in fairness, there are a lot of supporters for the "grand old teams", like Stoke, Wolves, Leeds, even Ipsh!t. Biggest supportergroups are for Liverpool and Man U though.

But in recent years, as in most of the rest of the world, the plastics come forward to support Man C, Chelsea.

Infact, in a country of just above 5 million, there are 100000 listed in supporterclubs for English clubs.

The sad thing is that almost 45000 of them are Man U supporters..

Even clubs like Cheltenham, Billericay Town, Macclesfield, Woking, Scarborough, etc have supporterclubs in Norway.

But for me, it is never going to be anything else than Norwich. I do support my local club Brann here in Bergen (I do not originate from Bergen, but lived here for 15 years), but it is never going to happen that I will "switch" clubs due to relocating, etc.

Btw, just bought my tickets for Watford and Blackburn. Will also attend quite a few of the away matches in the London area, as there are cheap flights from Bergen to London (60-70 pounds return), and the beer in England is always cheap for us Norse oil barons :)

Sorry about the wall of text but this is a topic that I feel quite passionate about.I have always been and will always be a Norwich City fan. Given the choice of a season ticket at any other club or Carrow Road I would pick City EVERY time. However, I do not have a season ticket for Norwich (or anywhere else come to that) and have spent many years living away from Norwich. So, when living in Cheltenham, as a football fan I was more likely to go to Whaddon Road on a cold Saturday afternoon in January to watch the Robins (which could be worse than watching paint dry sometimes) than to turn on the TV and watch Brazil vs Germany or Manchester United vs Chelsea on a warm sofa.I have read a couple of posts on here from people saying they are Norwich City "through and through'' (or such likes) and could never go and watch another team. I suspect however that these very same people that ''could never support another team" are quite happy to hand over £45 a month, or however much it is now to Rupert Murdoch to line the pockets of the teams in the Premier League (which of course has benefited us, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future with the parachute payments), so that they don''t miss the Man Utd vs Liverpool game. Or to sit through the endless Hyundai and Coca-Cola adverts during a World Cup which helps Sepp Blatter''s wallet get that much fatter due to their sponsorship of "the world''s greatest football spectacle". This to me is much of what is wrong with football nowadays.Because the powers that run football, both the FA at a national level in England and others like UEFA and FIFA globally, have a vested interest in seeing their tournaments bring financial success they wish for the "best" countries/clubs with the "best" players (and by best I mean bigger reputations) to win their tournaments. These are the countries and clubs that everyone has heard of, the teams that have won multiple tournaments, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Manchester United, Germany, Brazil, Spain and so on (notice also that these are singular and not plurals as there is only one of each team!!!). These are the sides that bring in the audiences via TV, and thus the revenue that lines the pockets of the players, owners and heads of football associations.The comeback of course will be that these teams are the ones with the best players, they play the most exciting football, so people want to watch for that reason. I would counter that by saying this is a fallacy that people use to justify their closet support of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. The most exciting game I have ever witnessed was in April 2001, between Bristol Rovers and Oxford United, 2 teams fighting for their lives at the bottom of the old 3rd Division (what is now League 1). This game had everything, goals (6-2), kamikazi attacking, desperated defending, goal line clearances, superb saves, comitted players with tackles flying in all over the place. What it lacked was the primadonnas worried about how their hair looked on national and international tv, the Russian and Asian billionairres who were treating the clubs like a Panini sticker album and the biased referee who wished to see the "bigger" team with the "better" players win. And in lacking these things it made for a better contest and a more watchable match, even though come the end of the season both teams were ultimately relegated.Football is not only enjoyable when watching players like Neymar, Sanchez, Rodrigues or Kroos (again singular not plural!) on the TV. It is not the individuals that make a game exciting, it is the not knowing. Many have called this year''s tournament the "best" World Cup ever. Predictability for me does not make a tournament exciting, no matter how many goals are scored. It was predictable that Brazil would make at least the semi-final, it was predictable that it would be a previous winner to win the tournament, it was predictable that England would struggle, it was predictable that Messi would be given player of the tournament. Predictability has become synonymous with modern football. I predict that next year it will be either Manchester United, Manchester City or Chelsea that win the league. I predict that Arsenal will flatter to deceive, but will just sneak into the Champions League spots, I precict that Tottenham, Everton and Liverpool will be the other teams to make up the top 8. I predict that Celtic will win the Scottish League, Barcelona or Real Madrid will win the Spanish, Bayern Munich the German, Juventus, A.C Milan or Inter the Italian and that the winner of the Champions League will  have won it before.I can not predict who will win the Championship though, I can not predict who will win the League 1 play off final, and as for who will get promoted to the Football League from the Conference, your guess is as good as mine.So with that in mind, may I suggest that if you live away from Norwich or can''t get to Carrow Road for every home game that one Saturday afternoon this winter you might like to go to Wellesley Road, Plainmoor,  Brunton Park or the Rashed Stadium. I can''t predict that you''ll enjoy the match, but then again I can''t predict you won''t. But, you might just have an enjoyable afternoon none the less.

Interesting question. I don''t think many people can switch allegiances.

Lived in London for some years but never went to a London game unless City were involved apart from the Chelsea v Palace 5th Round FA Cup tie in 1976 when City''s game against Bradford was called off. Was in the days of Malcolm Allison with his fedora and huge cigar. The match finished 3-2 to Palace but almost wished I hadn''t gone as there was a riot on the terrace near where we stood.

Probably get to London Rd in Peterborough every two or three years but usually to see an ex-City player or if Posh are up against a big club in a Cup game. Saw Justin Fashanu come on as a sub for Newcastle there and was lucky enough one night to see Ipswich get turned over 7-1.

Did go to the old Wembley twice to see Posh in Play-Off Finals so maybe after all those years in denial I''ve turned into a plastic.......[:D]

No - have always supported Norwich, and could never change ! Started hating Leeds in the Don Revie era, and still hate Leeds. My son supports Bradford City, and I have been to see them , and am interested in how they get on - but couldn''t actually support them !

When I first moved away from East Anglia for University in Guildford back in the late 90''s the Madejski Stadium had just opened and with crowds not that great they offered £1 student tickets so that season I believe I saw Reading play more than City.  There were some good games, lots of local rivals in the then Division 2.

i think if I was to live abroad permanently I might well adopt a local team as my second team for the thrill of live games. Particularly in Europe. I love going to matches and feel sure that i would become a casual plastic fan of a local team, while my heart would forever be with NCFC. Wouldnt happen in other parts of the UK though.

How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC.

Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back!

[quote user="Ray"]How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC.

Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back![/quote]I kind of fall into that category, I only started supporting Norwich when I moved to the area and started to go and see them in the early 90''s.But in my defence, I didn''t really follow a team before that, so my conscience is clear!

Not an exile as Im not from or ever lived in the city.

Am from Rotherham, and still live here,but fell in love with City in August 1981 when they rolled into town for the season opener against Rotherham.

Have been to many many hundred of games over the years, had a season ticket for 5 of them, have several thousand pounds of shares (and a family brick in the Jarrold) and will be a city fan until I die.

However, my youngest lad likes to go to a few Rotherham games so I take him a few games each season, usually early doors as hes a fair weather fan LOL. Really looking forward to the games with Rotherham this season as all my family or Millers fans.

Norwich is the only team I support or have a passion for. If I was in exile somewhere in England there would be no need to watch another team. However, living in the USA there is no conflict of interest in watching MLS, so I do attend several Houston games in the season. If Norwich were to play Houston in a preseason game, Yellow and Green it would be.

[quote user="Lowestoft canary"]I hardly know where to begin on this thread. Actually I do but can''t be arsed 😩😩😩😩[/quote]

Fascinating. Why bother wearing out your fingers on the keyboard? Maybe to wear down your fingerprints? Are the rozzers after you?!

I moved away from Norfolk in the late sixties, but once a Canary, always a Canary. Over the years I have always had respect from others for that (except maybe in Suffolk!). If they are within 50 miles or so from me, I''ll always try to make that game. Now my local teams are Blackpool and Fleetwood - one a complete car crash and the other a very fine little club who I have the pleasure of following as my 2nd team.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC. Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back![/quote]

I kind of fall into that category, I only started supporting Norwich when I moved to the area and started to go and see them in the early 90''s.

But in my defence, I didn''t really follow a team before that, so my conscience is clear!
[/quote]

Ah, a binner !!

Outed, good and proper [:D]

I was born in Norwich but my parents moved away when I was 18 months old. Nonetheless, always been a yellow and couldn''t imagine supporting anyone else. I''ve lived in Preston, Wigan, Manchester, the midlands and now London, and have never been interested in any of the local clubs at all. Living in Preston when you''ve just been the mascot at the 7-1 defeat to Blackburn was pretty painful but never even considered switching allegiances!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]How about the reverse, used to support ? but moved to Norfolk and now support NCFC. Any takers on that one, he says, having lit the blue touch paper and taken a step back![/quote]I kind of fall into that category, I only started supporting Norwich when I moved to the area and started to go and see them in the early 90''s.But in my defence, I didn''t really follow a team before that, so my conscience is clear![/quote]

Ah, a binner !!

Outed, good and proper [:D]

[/quote]You and me are going to have words, next time I see you in the pub[;)]