Sign in to follow this  
moules

New Signings

Does anyone think Worthy will get anyone in on loan as we have so many big games coming up, also it would show other teams we mean business, still think Kev Harper could do a job for us

I don''t know, in short, but there wouldn''t have been any point in doing anything until now to be in time for next Saturday as they have all had a long weekend break, I believe. Perhaps there''s something lined up for tomorrow or Wednesday, but maybe Worthy wants to see how things pan out in the next week or so before deciding if he needs to add some new faces to the mix.
I have read on another website today that we might be in for Steve Claridge on loan as he is apparently friends with Worthy and might welcome the chance to play at this level again. Don''t know what other people think about this. Like you, Franco, I think Kevin Harper would be an asset to us, but as he played for Portsmouth the other day it is possible their injury crisis is deep enough that Harry Redknapp won''t let anyone leave right now. Pity!

We''re definitely a little short in the midfield department. But I''m pretty sure worthy''s saving any pennies that are still left in the kitty for a rainy day. With Brennan doing the same job he did at everton on the left, Francis replacing Holt (all the man seems to do these days is chase the ball - no offence like) alongside Mulryne, and either Rivers or Hendo refinding form, there''d need to be a major injury before the board got their cheque-books out again this season.

Right midfield and centre back is where we most need some extra spice. I reckon Mulryne out wide with both Holt and Francis in the center is the right combo in midfield. Since Kenton left (mentally in Jan last year, not physically) we''ve needed a centre back with a bit more pace and the ability to pass well out of defence. Matt Jackson was the best at this in our recent past, and it makes a huge difference in relieveing pressure at the back. Other than that, as Bobby Robson said last week you have to be sure that what you can afford to bring in is better than what you already have. And I think that it would now cost us mega bucks to strengthen most of our positions other than these two.

A centre back with a bit more pace and the ability to pass well out of defence. We already have one in Jason Shackell, but unfortunately he played exceptionally well against Cardiff and hasn''t appeared since. Maybe he has upset Worthy on the training ground as I cannot see any reason why he isn''t playing in place of Mackay now. Having watched Sheff Utd recently I would feel safer having Shackell facing their forward line.

Whilst the club have come out and praised the supporters for raising 1.5m in the latest share issue, they only mentioned the funding of the three recent signings. I am hoping that there is still an amount left for Worthy to bring in some loan signings until the end of the season. His judgement has been pretty sound so far and I am sure he has a couple of players lined up providing the money is there to finance the deal.

For some unknown reason Mulryne is still playing below par and if that continues we will need to find a playmaker in midfield. Whilst I like Francis and Holt I don''t think either can carry out that role.

I don''t know why Shackell isn''t being given the chances either. Sticking Mulryne out on the wing gives us the chance to fortify central midfield, an area where we do often get outfought when Mulryne can''t be bothered to get stuck in. He can play a good pass and is useful at dead balls outside the area and so I think we have to stick with him or Rivers out there. If both of them continue to underperform then they should go and free up wages for someone who can do what we want for 90 minutes.

I don''t see why we should waste money on bringing a central defender in on loan when we''ve got a youngster who is looking really promising. Give Shackell a go. As for Mulryne on the right wing: NOOOOOOOOOO. He can''t take players on at all. All our attacking play would be limited to the left and McVeigh. I''d rather see Rivers or Hendo play on the right than Mulryne

Shackell is virtually untried at this level, and although he played exceptionally against Cardiff (I was there too), one swallow doesn''t make a summer. Malks has been through it all before, and will never let his head drop. If Shackell makes one mistake, his confidence could be shot to pieces. While we''re not conceding too many (Rotherham excluded), leave things as they are.

DumbleDelia, Rivers and Hendo can run at people, but as has been discussed on this board plenty of times before, neither of them can cross particularly well. Mulryne could at least deliver a ball. As Beckham has proven, you don''t necessarily have to beat the man - if you can deliver a good cross. I''d rather see McVeigh down the right, personally, with Brennan down the left. But I wouldn''t see the harm in trying Mulryne there.

Sorry to disagree with the general consensus but I think Mulryne on the right of midfield would be a bad idea... Whilst we all know he is under preforming at present, what would be the point in sticking him out on the wing where he''d be out of position anyway. A below par player playing in an unorthodox position just so that he can make the team seems, to me, to be illogical... Keep him on the sidelines/subs bench until he rediscovers his form as we know he will, and stick with Francis and Holt in the middle... I''d go for Brennan and McVeigh on the wings and Hucks and Roberts up front... I''d also agree with bringing Shackell to the fore, as a sub and give him 20-30 mins in a game to start with, as well as a start now and again... Think we could do with a few extra bodies joining the club, but at present, with the players all seemingly covering two or three positions each, there doesn''t seem any one position thats desperately needing filling, even if the right side of midfield is a little player-lite...

Just had a thought *feels dizzy* What about Lee Trundle at Swansea..? Similar in style to Hucks from what I''ve read/been told. I know we''re quite well off for strikers, but as this is a thread about new players, how about Mr. Trundle?

Anderz

I see no point at having Mulryne at the club if we have to put him on the bench constantly and wait for him to "rediscover" his form. At his age he should be in the prime of his career and we do not have a large enough squad to carry those who are not trying or not performing. OK, he''s had some injuries, but I''m fed up waiting for him to blossom into the player he really should be. He''s not turned into a 21st century Ian Crook and there are precious few signs that he will. We know he''s too lightweight in the centre so on the right is the obvious alternative. If we think he can''t go there either then what on earth is his value to this squad?

I don''t like knocking players but somebody like Clint Easton comes in from time to time and tries his socks off. He hasn''t the talent of a Mulryne but tries to make the most of what he has. Full credit to him. I don''t like wasted talent when it could be a genuinely potent weapon for us. Its such a shame.

Tumbleweed, I agree with you on Mulryne. He has such potential, but has never fulfilled it. I don''t think there''s any harm in trying him down the right, given that we don''t really have anyone who''s made that position their own. However, I''ll have to disagree with you on Easton - whenever I''ve watched him he''s jogged around the pitch and very rarely done anything of any note. He never seems to work, tackle...anything, really. But that''s just my opinion.

Anderz, how can Mulryne "rediscover" his form if he''s on the bench? Ok, he could play for the reserves, but as Rick Waghorn pointed out a week or two ago, the reserve league is a joke at the moment and no real use to us. So, Mulryne would be playing Barnet reserves - hardly the best platform to suggest he''s worthy of a recall.

Tacklebury and Tumbleweed: Ok, I guess the idea of carrying Mulryne is not a good one, and the point made about relying on reserve football to help him rediscover his form is flawed by the fact that the quantity and quality of reserve football is poor, but in my opinion Mulryne is not a rightsided midfielder, and even less so a right winger. True, his crossing ability is likely to be stronger than Rivers and Henderson, but I just can''t imagine Mulryne running the line and being able to cross at pace, and therefore, I can''t see him tracking back much to help Edworthy, which is one of the major flaws with Rivers... I guess I''m just used to speedy wingers with a penchant for deep quality crossing, in the mould of Eadie and won''t be content until we have a similar player, however, I stand by my judgement that Mulryne is not the answer to the right sided midfielder problem... If he plays there and performs like a man possessed then I shall accept I was wrong, but I can''t quite see it... cheers both to both of you for your constructive critisism...

It seems that one thing we are all agreed on is that Mr Mulryne is not performing and we are casting around to find him slot!! That''s not ideal, and more surprising given that he could be running that midfield against Viera, Veron, Gerrard, and Scholes next season (blimey, that''s terrifying!!) so surely he should be cementing his place right now. Nigel has done very well to bring in some new blood, as we all know, but now is the time to start looking at weeding things out a bit with what we have already.

Very good point, Anderz. Mulryne''s workrate is highly questionable. My only real basis for suggesting giving him a try on the right is that we''re used to Rivers down the right, who also never works back, and can''t cross!! Basically, it''s making the best of a bad situation, but I can see you point and its merits.

Guess we''ll just have to see what occurs... Mulryne against Viera et al does seem quite a frightening prospect I have to agree, If he''s struggling this season I can''t imagine how he''ll manage to cope next season if/when we go up...

I have to disagree about Mullers''s workrate. I have always been impressed with his workrate, sometimes he seems hellbent on getting a yellow card he puts himself about so much. However, I''m not impressed with his delivery of the killer pass, and the new Ian Crook he most certainly isn''t. I want to see Francis and Holt in the midfield, and rely on the guile coming from the flanks in Paul and Brennan. Hopefully, Francis will get us some goals too.

Sorry, but I have said this before, but we should try Briggs on the right of midfield - he is fast, dynamic and at least will give Edworthy a bit of help defensively.

While I am in no doubt that Lee Trundle is the greatest player the world has ever seen there is no way Worthy would sign him as he is too lazy away from the box, he has very low workrate but as soon as he gets the ball around the area hes just magic. If you have seen his goals this season then you will agree with me! The man is a legend lol that rolling round the shoulders thing they show on soccer am evry week is magic.