Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

Which player or players will be crucial to our success this coming season?

I often read comments relating to certain players, and that its crucial we keep him or them if the club is going to bounce back. This has been mentioned of Leroy Fer recently for example, and also as I recall similar has been said about Redmond.

So, is this really the case, we have a strong squad, the money to replace, no player who really set himself apart last season, yet we appear to have players who are "crucial".........got me thinking, which player or players are actually crucial to our clubs success next season?

For me, I actually believe that there is not one player who if he is sold would have such a detrimental effect on the side over a season.

That said, there are a few players who I would prefer the club does hold on to if possible....they are....Fer, Howson, Redmond and in particular Ruddy............but if we lost one or two of them I genuinely still believe we will be knocking on the door of the EPL by the end of the season......why?...because its not about a few individuals its about a team, organisation, squad strength and belief.....that''s what will bring us success.

Which players would you prefer we hold on to or, do you think one or two are crucial to our success?

I am resigned to losing Fer, which is a shame, but if he goes he''ll go for good money, that I hope we will re-invest.I threw up a theory re Redmond, in that would it be the end of the world if we got, say 10m for him, and had Josh to play in his place, and also money to spend?The same goes for Ruddy, for me, would it be the end of the world to have a chunk of cash to spend, and have Rudd between the sticks.Now, the problem lies, for me, if all three leave. I think I would be a bit disappointed with that. Personally I think it will only be Fer that will go, with Redmond being a "Hmmmm, possibly"The main issue for me is that we need a dominant midfielder, a playmaker. Something we have been missing for some time. Perhaps if we offload Fer, it will facilitate the purchase of one. Fer could be that man, but like I say, I think he''s off.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I often read comments relating to certain players, and that its crucial we keep him or them if the club is going to bounce back. This has been mentioned of Leroy Fer recently for example, and also as I recall similar has been said about Redmond.

So, is this really the case, we have a strong squad, the money to replace, no player who really set himself apart last season, yet we appear to have players who are "crucial".........got me thinking, which player or players are actually crucial to our clubs success next season?

For me, I actually believe that there is not one player who if he is sold would have such a detrimental effect on the side over a season.

That said, there are a few players who I would prefer the club does hold on to if possible....they are....Fer, Howson, Redmond and in particular Ruddy............but if we lost one or two of them I genuinely still believe we will be knocking on the door of the EPL by the end of the season......why?...because its not about a few individuals its about a team, organisation, squad strength and belief.....that''s what will bring us success.

Which players would you prefer we hold on to or, do you think one or two are crucial to our success?[/quote]

Not so bothered if one or two leave, but there are equally none that I would want to leave, now that Snodgrass has gone.  To me Howson and Pilkington have the most to prove - Howson we see the best of only occasionally, Pilkington is in danger of becoming an enigma and needs a good season.  Players I would prefer to hold on to are the two Dutch players.  Would love to see them have a great season and be the two that star in an overall  good team.

I''m going to pick 2 Mark, Ruddy and Hooper, they are vital imo

In my opinion there are 4 players that set us apart from the run of the mill Championship team....Ruddy,Fer,Hooper & potentially Redmond...the more players from this list of 4 that leave ,the less our chances of automatic promotion become.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]In my opinion there are 4 players that set us apart from the run of the mill Championship team....Ruddy,Fer,Hooper & potentially Redmond...the more players from this list of 4 that leave ,the less our chances of automatic promotion become.[/quote]

Agree with that entirely.

I would also add Bassong to that list, first season Bassong that is, not the present one.

Let''s not forget Olsson either or Howson or ...... RVW could well be a revelation as well.

We are strong, but I would be very angry and more than slightly disillusioned if the Club allowed monetary gain to push them into selling either Redmond or Fer, assuming the players want to stay at Carrow Road for the foreseeable.

Not only are these two likely to play a big part if we are to return to the top-table, their market values are destined to rise even higher than any fee NCFC receives as they both mature into the players we know they will be.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]In my opinion there are 4 players that set us apart from the run of the mill Championship team....Ruddy,Fer,Hooper & potentially Redmond...the more players from this list of 4 that leave ,the less our chances of automatic promotion become.[/quote]

Agree with that entirely.

I would also add Bassong to that list, first season Bassong that is, not the present one.

Let''s not forget Olsson either or Howson or ...... RVW could well be a revelation as well.

We are strong, but I would be very angry and more than slightly disillusioned if the Club allowed monetary gain to push them into selling either Redmond or Fer, assuming the players want to stay at Carrow Road for the foreseeable.

Not only are these two likely to play a big part if we are to return to the top-table, their market values are destined to rise even higher than any fee NCFC receives as they both mature into the players we know they will be.

[/quote]

yes,I''d agree with Bassong, sadly I''ve written him off.

When you look at the spine of the team, Ruddy,Bassong,Fer and Hooper ,there''s an argument to say that we have the best player in each department in the whole league...and surely under those circumstances ,even with a novice manager (although that''s an argument for another day)...we should be mounting some sort of automatic promotion charge??

Interesting comments about Hooper.....particular after the amount of stick he has received on here from several posters. But, I do see where you are coming from, as he is proven big time at this level and could well be in for a decent season next to a big lump like Lafferty.

As for Bassong, for me his first season was exceptional and put him right up there with the best CB''s that have played for our club. If he wasnt so clearly associated to CH, then perhaps he would be in the mix....but he is clearly nowhere in the current managements thoughts so needs to move on, surprised he hasnt already....shame because at this level and on form he would be impressive I''m sure.

Not sure that Rudd is ready to step up, I know he had a good season on loan at Preston but seemed to be a bit unsafe in just the couple of minutes highlights form the Bastia game so Ruddy will still be crucial for me.

We know have five good quick wingers - Redders, Benno, Pilks, Josh, and Jacob. If one went , we would have two for each wing. I hope that Redders will stay, but for a good price, I wouldn''t mind if he went.

Leroy looks likely to go - some big teams in for him now. He is an all-round good central midfielder, with strength, pace and technique, and streets above our other players. I would be sad to see him go, but if he does it should mean a good price.

Given that we have four strikers without Becchio, I think that one of them could be vital. We need someone to score 20+ goals.

We need some bolstering in defence, assuming that Bassong is off, in mind if not in body. Olsson is great, but the other positions concern me. It was some very poor defending against Bastia that cost us the goal. I think that a top flight CD is vital, one like Bassong at his best, anticipating, encouraging, intercepting and blocking, and organising,is what we need. This for me is were we are lacking, and a good signing here could turn us into a very useful side.

I struggle to see where people are coming from when they say Howson is inconsistent and has something to prove.

For a year until he got injured he was our most consistent player. Always a 7 out of 10, if not more. Gets a lot of work done for the team without the same recognition other players have had.

I believe Leroy will not perform or want to perform in the Championship, but if we were to be promoted Leroy is a Premier League performer.

Thus let him go on loan maybe to Everton where loaneees have excelled for a handsome loan fee and take his salary which is likely to be high off our wage bill. With a fee agreed for following season if no promotion in the region of £5m.

[quote user="pete"]I believe Leroy will not perform or want to perform in the Championship, but if we were to be promoted Leroy is a Premier League performer.

Thus let him go on loan maybe to Everton where loaneees have excelled for a handsome loan fee and take his salary which is likely to be high off our wage bill. With a fee agreed for following season if no promotion in the region of £5m.[/quote]What are you basing that on?

Rio to Rotherham after scoring in the World Cup you obviously would be a happy bunny, not Leroy methinks.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="pete"]I believe Leroy will not perform or want to perform in the Championship, but if we were to be promoted Leroy is a Premier League performer.

Thus let him go on loan maybe to Everton where loaneees have excelled for a handsome loan fee and take his salary which is likely to be high off our wage bill. With a fee agreed for following season if no promotion in the region of £5m.[/quote]What are you basing that on?[/quote]Foreign lad, too big for his boots egomaniac that doesn''t have the warrior spirit needed for the Champs.