Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

What is your experience of Carrow Road?

Supporting a football club is as near to religious experience as some ever come to.  The highs that are possible are almost impossible to describe - the 3-2 Derby winner for instance.   What if were possible to feel like that all the time?    What if  we always felt high about the football club even when it was struggling?   Is it a kind of madness to think you could feel high about the club, even when it is going through tough times?   People that go every week seem to get a bit worn down by the failures on the pitch and start to think - oh no, here we go again - almost expecting failure.  When you only go to a few matches, the experience is different.  Its exciting just to be part of the experience, regardless of what is happening on the pitch. 

So different  people have a different view of things.   Going back to when I went every week, when I was in my teens, it was always exciting. Always.  These days when I go to my five or six games a season at CR it is always exciting. The experience is renewed every time I go.  The buzz is heightened because I don''t go that often.  For the regulars who go every week the experience is just as relevant although maybe the excitement is might be less intense and the pleasure or enjoyment is more down to the meeting of people you know, the community side of supporting and the comforting habit of feeling at home when you go.  

So how do you feel when you go to matches?   It doesn''t matter if you go to one a season or every one -  we all feel something when we go there.  We all know about the people that go to moan - the ones that shout abuse at players, regardless of what is happening - we all know about people who go and don''t sing/shout/cheer - but must enjoy going or they woudn''t go every week. Everyone is different. We all see things from a different perspective.  I was at the 1-7 and I''m not ashamed to say it was one of the best matches I ever went to - the sheer drama as it unfolded, the implications of things that would happen because of it - the enormity and scale of the defeat was as dramatic as anything I have ever seen.  You could sense that it was the biggest day in the club''s history - and I wouldn''t have missed it for anything.  

Like it or not all supporters are different - hence some of the conflicts on here - but we are all passionate about the club.  Do you love the club and going to matches - and win, lose or draw you enjoy the experience - or is winning everything?    Ultimately we all want success and good football to watch, but surely there is more to it than that?  

Winning is important, as is playing good passing and attacking football, but it''s a sport at the end of the day. As my name implies, I''ve been an active supporter of City since 1972. I''ve seen a lot of ups and down in those years, but never once booed my team.

The promotion year under Worthy was great, i can remember games like Hucks last game on loan vs Cardiff, the boxing day game vs N.Forest. Loved going for the 3 years with Lambert. Hated the last 2 years, almost felt like a chore. The atmosphere really suffered under Hughton and to be fair he did well for the atmosphere not to turn ugly alot earlier than what it did. If you can see your team going for it, giving everything, going for the win Carrow Road is a much better place to be. Under Hughton i can remeber looking up at the clock and thinking hurry up and end.

At least this year we have a local derby, forget the Man Us, Liverpools etc, nothing beats a derby day for best match day experience and atmosphere.

NCFC are like another member of my family. Been supporting them nearly all my life, the feeling after a win is something words can''t explain, the depression after a loss lasts for days. After all these years I''ve lost count of the number of times we''ve been promoted and relegated but I wouldn''t have it any other way, supporting someone like Man C is not the same. The close season seems much too long if I had my way we''d play all year. At CR you meet the same people every other week, no idea what their names are, where they live etc but you feel you know them like a relation. roll on August

sorry !! That was supposed to be more explanatory ...

I cannot believe that on that day ... A real NCFC supporter could feel anything but devastating numbness followed by extreme anger ... Best game you ever went to ??? Only game more likely .

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]sorry !! That was supposed to be more explanatory ...

I cannot believe that on that day ... A real NCFC supporter could feel anything but devastating numbness followed by extreme anger ... Best game you ever went to ??? Only game more likely .[/quote]Ditto.Almost like he is being deliberately controversial to attract grief.That game remains the only game I have ever left early.

[quote user="lake district canary"]People that go every week seem to get a bit worn down by the failures on the pitch and start to think - oh no, here we go again - almost expecting failure.[/quote]How on earth would you know how they feel?

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]sorry !! That was supposed to be more explanatory ...

I cannot believe that on that day ... A real NCFC supporter could feel anything but devastating numbness followed by extreme anger ... Best game you ever went to ??? Only game more likely .[/quote]

No I said one of the best - and qualified it by saying it was because of the importance of it.  But I agree "best" is the wrong word, I accept that.    I can''t think of the right word - memorable?  Historic? Dramatic?  But worst experience it definitely was not.  Being roundly beaten by any team is bad - but the occasion of the 1-7 was a historic moment in the club''s history and I am glad I was there to see it and be part of it.  There have been far worse feelings after a match that I can remember, relegation matches for instance. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]sorry !! That was supposed to be more explanatory ...

I cannot believe that on that day ... A real NCFC supporter could feel anything but devastating numbness followed by extreme anger ... Best game you ever went to ??? Only game more likely .[/quote]

No I said one of the best - and qualified it by saying it was because of the importance of it.  But I agree "best" is the wrong word, I accept that.    I can''t think of the right word - memorable?  Historic? Dramatic?  But worst experience it definitely was not.  Being roundly beaten by any team is bad - but the occasion of the 1-7 was a historic moment in the club''s history and I am glad I was there to see it and be part of it.  There have been far worse feelings after a match that I can remember, relegation matches for instance. 

[/quote]

The 7-1 was possibly the most important result in our recent history - a kind of watershed from the little old nice Norwich to what we have today. We just feel better run as a club these days.

Last season was the worst I can remember. There were times I sat there thinking is this worth it. The time and money spent for another poor game, regardless of result.

The West Brom game summed it all up. You said in the OP about the feeling of here we go again.

When they scored, everybody around me seemed to shrug their shoulders and say ''oh well, this is another defeat''. Most worrying was that this was with only 16 minutes or so gone - people who had gone to games for many years just sat their numb, knowing the game was over already

The 1-7 game was only that important in hindsight. The drama could not have been seen on that day in the way you describe. I remember the conversation I had with Len, the old boy who sits two rows in front of us and saying that at least we''d win more games in league one. No-one knew on that day how important it would end up being. I''m glad I stayed and stuck it out but it was not pleasant. The feeling was that the club had been decimated and we were watching the decline and death of a family member. Not enjoyable in any way and to suggest otherwise would suggest that the feelings we have about Norwich and match days are vastly different.

Match days though...

There was excitement galore under Lambert, but always belief. Hadn''t really had that since the early 90s or the 2001-2004 period. Apart from that, hope shattered by repetitive experiences of the team coming up short. Pride at being there. The passion and indescribable feeling of seeing the yellow and green emerge onto the pitch. That has never changed. I''m excited again about what might happen. I''m excited by the potential of the youth. Match days this season (I hope) will feel like those halcyon days under Lambert / Walker / Worthy / Stringer / Brown.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]sorry !! That was supposed to be more explanatory ... I cannot believe that on that day ... A real NCFC supporter could feel anything but devastating numbness followed by extreme anger ... Best game you ever went to ??? Only game more likely .[/quote]

[/quote] The 7-1 was possibly the most important result in our recent history - a kind of watershed from the little old nice Norwich to what we have today. We just feel better run as a club these days. Last season was the worst I can remember. There were times I sat there thinking is this worth it. The time and money spent for another poor game, regardless of result. The West Brom game summed it all up. You said in the OP about the feeling of here we go again. When they scored, everybody around me seemed to shrug their shoulders and say ''oh well, this is another defeat''. Most worrying was that this was with only 16 minutes or so gone - people who had gone to games for many years just sat their numb, knowing the game was over already[/quote]

Some interesting points here.

I think I understand LDCs point but it''s a hard one to communicate. The game itself wasn''t anything like "one of the best" I''ve been to; it was a horror show. What happened off the pitch subsequently made it important, a line in the sand that was drawn as a low point in our recent history.

As for the West Brom game - we were poor in that game but our home form in the few games previously had been OK - I certainly didn''t think "here we go again" as perhaps I would have had we conceded early away from home. After about 70 minutes we ran out of ideas and it became evident we weren''t going to get back in the game, it also quickly became evident that it was "Times Up" for CH.

Both matches that ultimately secured fates for managers and in that respect were important games but if they''d rank anywhere in a "best of" list for most fans I''d be amazed.

People also seemed to enjoy the football under Hughton less than at any other time in their supporting life. I think that''s a double edged sword too. The football wasn''t great but he did oversee some memorable performances and results, that shouldn''t be forgotten. He also had the misfortune to follow Lambert who gave us almost the perfect 3 years and, had he taken the cups a bit more seriously, might have done even more than that. We did take some thumpings under CH and it was hard to stomach at times but some of the dross served up in the Championship between 1995 and the present day has been woeful, it''s just not quite as fresh in the memory.

OTBC