Sign in to follow this  
morty

OGC Nice

Just home, really enjoyed that.Surman was good, Bradders very good too.But Redmond was different class, I seriously hope there was no scouts there tonight.Great to see so many of the yoof involved. Dunno what they are feeding Carlton Morris but he''s even more massive than last time I saw him!Grabban also looked very good.

What formations(s) did we play tonight Morty? Couldn''t be there tonight. Are we definitely moving away from Hughton style footy?

Cheers Morty. Glad to here Brad J played well, ive been laughing non stop at people on here saying he isnt good enough to play this season.

[quote user="65Vintage"]What formations(s) did we play tonight Morty? Couldn''t be there tonight. Are we definitely moving away from Hughton style footy?[/quote]Diamond to start with, once they made loads of subs I lost track!

[quote user="hogesar"]Cheers Morty. Glad to here Brad J played well, ive been laughing non stop at people on here saying he isnt good enough to play this season.[/quote]Played at the base of the diamond, very good distribution, could well be his best position, either that or as a sweeper.Took his free kick very well.

[quote user="65Vintage"]Thanks Morty - diamond sems favourite then - but with a few more formations to keep teams guessing![/quote]We seem to have a good style mix in the squad at the minute, we could put out a just as strong 4-4-2 as well. Good to have options!

Surman was the man of the match, which isn''t maybe a bad call. He played on the left of the diamond, then more centrally, and made some good, bustling runs into the box. The season on loan has done him good, it will be like having a new signing this season.On the whole no negatives (apart from maybe Russel Martin''s crazy handball for the penalty) it was slick, pacey football, especially so in the diamond.Wes was decent, but drifted out of the game a bit as changes were made. It seems, as ever, that there really is one formation he can play in.

Thanks for that Morty, so how do we look (as my son went but I didnt).Looking good for the long hard season coming up ?

[quote user="bloodwagon"]Thanks for that Morty, so how do we look (as my son went but I didnt).Looking good for the long hard season coming up ?[/quote]Everything I have seen so far is positive, so its hard to draw any negatives lol!If you think of the players who weren''t there tonight Olsson, Lafferty, Hooper, Fer, Van Wolfswinkle, Tettey then combined with them we have a pretty decent quality squad.In essence we have "new" players in Elliot Bennet and Surman, and "rejuvenated players in Hoolahan and Pilkington.Redmond is going to be key for us, he was fantastic tonight.Was interesting watching the body language on the bench too, as I was fairly close, lots of real togetherness between players and Holt and Adams.

For the record Nice were no mugs, they were neat and tidy in possession, but just couldn''t cope with the pace and directness of the diamond. They were a lot more in the game after we made changes, but overall I would say they were maybe a wee bit lightweight, but I don''t know how many of them were first team regulars, a few looked pretty young.

[quote user="bloodwagon"]Great to hear, we just might get up first time. ( I hope).But, didnt we have this togetherness with C.H. ?[/quote]I dunno, he seemed a bit aloof with the players sometimes.I have heard from someone who talked to a player, and he did comment how everyone is playing with a smile on their face just now, theres a real feelgood factor around the club.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="bloodwagon"]Great to hear, we just might get up first time. ( I hope).But, didnt we have this togetherness with C.H. ?[/quote]I dunno, he seemed a bit aloof with the players sometimes.I have heard from someone who talked to a player, and he did comment how everyone is playing with a smile on their face just now, theres a real feelgood factor around the club.[/quote]I think its all down to how they play and want to play, seems we attack more now rather than sit back and play for a draw when C.H. was incharge. I believe they enjoy playing the way they are playing now

[quote user="morty"]Surman was the man of the match, which isn''t maybe a bad call. He played on the left of the diamond, then more centrally, and made some good, bustling runs into the box. The season on loan has done him good, it will be like having a new signing this season.On the whole no negatives (apart from maybe Russel Martin''s crazy handball for the penalty) it was slick, pacey football, especially so in the diamond.Wes was decent, but drifted out of the game a bit as changes were made. It seems, as ever, that there really is one formation he can play in.[/quote]

Bradley Johnson handball, not Russell Martin

Wes was excellent and we seemed to lose our attacking threat a bit when he came off (plus all of the substitutions didn''t help). He will be superb for us (again) this season.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]Wes was excellent and we seemed to lose our attacking threat a bit when he came off (plus all of the substitutions didn''t help). He will be superb for us (again) this season.[/quote]I hope so Link, we need someone to push forwards when we attack. Something we didnt have last season

[quote user="morty"]For the record Nice were no mugs, they were neat and tidy in possession, but just couldn''t cope with the pace and directness of the diamond. They were a lot more in the game after we made changes, but overall I would say they were maybe a wee bit lightweight, but I don''t know how many of them were first team regulars, a few looked pretty young.[/quote]Six of the Nice team who started tonight also started their final league game of last season against Lyon, plus one guy who played most of their other matches last season, plus new signing Hult in midfield, so they weren''t a million miles away from having their usual team out there.

I know it''s only a friendly but must admit this result has began to get my expectations up. What I am particularly pleased with is that lots of midfields are getting on the score sheet which suggests exciting and attacking play...something missing all of last season.

4-1 up at half time with our three main strikers not even in the squad has got to be a good sign

Enjoyable game of football and nice to see a few goals.

Hard to know how much to take from it because it was very much a pre-season friendly and Nice generally lacked a bit of physical presence - quite lightweight and not a lot of height for us to deal with.

Thought Grabban showed glimpses that he could be a good player for us at this level and I don''t think Nice will be in a hurry to face Redmond again. Slightly "disappointed" with Josh Murphy, I still don''t think he shows enough to look like he should be a big part of our season.

My thoughts on tonight.... Brabban looks like a steal does a lot of work tracking back and a composed finish... Surman was excellent he was up and down like steve gerrard and looks bigger physically than i remember... redmond played well was as unselfish as i have ever seen and only blazed over once... bradley has been on the weights now looks like a poor mans diego simeone but will be very effective in the championship... the defence wasn''t really worked but did what they had to aprt from the penalty ... as for the opposition they had quality but definately weren''t as up for it as us... i think it is gong to be an exciting season and i hate hughton more than ever

[quote user="im spartacus"]My thoughts on tonight.... Brabban looks like a steal does a lot of work tracking back and a composed finish... Surman was excellent he was up and down like steve gerrard and looks bigger physically than i remember... redmond played well was as unselfish as i have ever seen and only blazed over once... bradley has been on the weights now looks like a poor mans diego simeone but will be very effective in the championship... the defence wasn''t really worked but did what they had to aprt from the penalty ... as for the opposition they had quality but definately weren''t as up for it as us... i think it is gong to be an exciting season and i hate hughton more than ever [/quote]This.Maybe we will go straight back up :)