Sign in to follow this  
Gaz06

Joe Royle leaves club

Hi Reggie,

No worries, glad we agree :-)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]More a question of what might have been Morty. The role was a lovely entree/template for the future. Adams won''t bring a cuckoo into the nest now and the board won''t enforce one on him. Royle was perfect. Adams didn''t feel threatened and the board had the opportunity to develop their own lines of communication with a (gently developing) inside track into dressing room, training ground, football affairs. This insider "grass" knowledge is not truly present in the football board other than via the manager (which is ultimately not the point). All could present it as a not DoF, though over time, these benefits could have been organically nurtured. Corporately Something extra is lost. Hard to replace now for a number of reasons.[/quote]But, as I understand it, Joe never was a Dof, was he? It sounds like he was only ever a consultant, helping on an ad hoc basis.[/quote]If we are going to take Adams'' statement at face value we have to take all of it in that light. In that case:"He had a huge impact on the staff when he was here."...makes it sound as if Royle had already got stuck in and was dealing with the staff as a whole rather than just acting as an occasional consultant to Adams. The whole tenor of Adams'' statement is that this a serious loss to the club. And that is without taking into account the slowly expanding role (a director of football in all but name) that Parma says was the plan.[/quote]

I think that is reading far too much into one line - especially considering all the context; family illness, Adams'' friend etc

It''s a bit like writing in someone''s leaving card at work ''We''ll miss you'' - you won''t miss them but you aren''t going to write that in their card and it''s a nice thing to say. I''m sure Royle would have spoken to other staff memebers at the club, but to take those 12 words and try and inflate them to some greater meaning won''t reveal his true contribution. To even look for greater meaning in a short statement to the local press probably isn''t going to reveal much.

If Royle was intended for a Director of Football role he would have been on the ''Footballing Board''.

[/quote]
Yeah, I think you have that about right. Especially the leaving card analogy.
[/quote]

In all of this something does not quite ring true to me.

I just do not get why the first time Joe''s departure become public knowledge was when he was appointed at Everton. Given that he was leaving for family reasons a club statement immediately to that end would have sufficed. After all the news had to come out at some point.A simple PR message which I find hard to believe was simply overlooked.

The current statements are all a bit "after the horse has bolted"

I guess we will never know quite what has gone on.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]In all of this something does not quite ring true to me.

I just do not get why the first time Joe''s departure become public knowledge was when he was appointed at Everton. Given that he was leaving for family reasons a club statement immediately to that end would have sufficed. After all the news had to come out at some point.A simple PR message which I find hard to believe was simply overlooked.

I guess we will never know quite what has gone on. [/quote]Sussex, I don''t know if this helps, but this is what Royle said on taking the Everton job:Royle said: “It’s great to be back. Everyone knows how much Everton means to me – it has been in my blood for over 50 years. I admire what Roberto achieved in his debut season and I am really looking forward to working alongside him.
 I made my debut for Everton as a 16-year-old so I understand what it

means to be a young player coming through at this football club. I’m

looking forward to using my experience to help the players we have here."I was happy with my role at Norwich City and wouldn’t have

considered an offer from any other club than Everton. It’s like coming

home for me. I ’d like to thank Norwich for their co-operation and understanding

with this situation and I wish Neil Adams and everyone at Carrow Road

all the best for the new season.”

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]In all of this something does not quite ring true to me.

I guess we will never know quite what has gone on. [/quote]Sussex, I don''t know if this helps, but this is what Royle said on taking the Everton job:Royle said: “It’s great to be back. Everyone knows how much Everton means to me – it has been in my blood for over 50 years. I admire what Roberto achieved in his debut season and I am really looking forward to working alongside him.
 I made my debut for Everton as a 16-year-old so I understand what it

means to be a young player coming through at this football club. I’m

looking forward to using my experience to help the players we have here."I was happy with my role at Norwich City and wouldn’t have

considered an offer from any other club than Everton. It’s like coming

home for me. I ’d like to thank Norwich for their co-operation and understanding

with this situation and I wish Neil Adams and everyone at Carrow Road

all the best for the new season.”

[/quote]
Thanks Purple.
Yes I had seen that before. But not sure it really answers my concern.
Unless I have missed it I have yet to see an official statement from the club on Joe leaving. I just do not get why. A simple statement saying he was going for [fill in your reason] and wishing him well was surely the right PR approach. Prefereably ahead of the Everton announcement, and a simple bit of liaison could have achieved that. Could have nipped a lot of speculation in the bud.
Also it is not entirely consistent with NA''s statement that it was for family reasons. Both statements of course could be true, i.e. would only consider Everton and actually it suits me because I need to be nearer my family for health reasons.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]More a question of what might have been Morty. The role was a lovely entree/template for the future. Adams won''t bring a cuckoo into the nest now and the board won''t enforce one on him. Royle was perfect. Adams didn''t feel threatened and the board had the opportunity to develop their own lines of communication with a (gently developing) inside track into dressing room, training ground, football affairs. This insider "grass" knowledge is not truly present in the football board other than via the manager (which is ultimately not the point). All could present it as a not DoF, though over time, these benefits could have been organically nurtured. Corporately Something extra is lost. Hard to replace now for a number of reasons.[/quote]

But, as I understand it, Joe never was a Dof, was he? It sounds like he was only ever a consultant, helping on an ad hoc basis.
[/quote]

If we are going to take Adams'' statement at face value we have to take all of it in that light. In that case:

"He had a huge impact on the staff when he was here."

...makes it sound as if Royle had already got stuck in and was dealing with the staff as a whole rather than just acting as an occasional consultant to Adams. The whole tenor of Adams'' statement is that this a serious loss to the club. And that is without taking into account the slowly expanding role (a director of football in all but name) that Parma says was the plan.

[/quote]

We don''t know, but you have to conclude, that Royle was the figure to add experience to an otherwise VERY inexperienced bunch. I took some comfort from his appointment as , as pointed out by Parma, much can be done informally ranging from the action of a European Director of Football , to a simple mentor . Even the ultimate position is reserved; to stick him in charge if the gamble of a manager that has never actually won a professional match doesn''t pay off.

We now have a quite astonishingly inexperienced team trying to win promotion, with a finite parachute resource,  and a difficult situation re bringing in some experience. If the board now look to bring in - for want of a better example Neil Warnock- I don''t quite know how that would be squared with what has been said thus far.

As suggested by the lack of a response from the Club, it is all a bit of a mess .